Zodiac (2007)

The ending made me facepalm.
That's an interesting story. So you're saying it's predictable and implausible. Do you know of a similar film you'd recommend? Something more thrilling and surprising?

In that case I’ll probably pass. Like I said I rarely watch true crime stuff, unless it’s a director I love. Tarantino’s next one is something to do with Manson, so that will draw me out.

Honestly I tend to be the same with a lot of "true crime" releases as well that often fall back onto dry recounting of events that depends on the actual history for most of its weight. This really isn't that kind of film though exactly because the case was never solved, plus of course its arguably Tony Stark's screen debut.

I don't see it. For whatever reason, every few years, someone claims that their dad, uncle, etc was the Zodiac. It's a quick way to make some money and get a book or TV deal. No one has been able to provide hard evidence.
well the premise of the show is that a cold case detective((retired)) has got onto investigating this ed edwards who, after a very storied life, finally admitted to at least 5 killing which he was convicted for, the ret cop hooks up with the grandson of ed edwards and they go around the country to different locales as the det tries to prove his theories to him, is it all bs... idk...its interesting tho because that ed edwards was a seriously brutal fellow from what is 100% known about him and if hes in the vicinity of any type of murder of this sort, he has to be a suspect ...and he was in the vicinity of alot of murders when they occured, the zodiac, atlanta child killings, jon benet ramsey even, none of which are the 5 murders he admitted to/was caught for...

out of the 5 he admitted to, 4 were in the same style/motiff/MO as the zodiac killings and the 5th was of a kid/young man that he legally adopted...took out a life insurance policy on and then subsequently killed for it, total dirtbag this guy was, its only been 4 episodes and for sure some of the evidence is sketchy ...some of it is compelling...but all of it is interesting

he was also a good friend of jimmy hoffa's, the two were cell mates and he was in around the area jimmy was in, the two were known to have gone out for dinner several times and jimmy went missing when he was going to meet someone at a resturant...theres more to ed's angle on the hoffa case but just another interesting tidbit....

I think there's definitely a possibility that there have been copycats. Zodiac didn't seem the type to work with others though. I do think that he probably scoured the newspapers for crimes that he could claim as his own though that he wasn't involved in.

The handwriting in all of the letters are the same which makes me think it's one person. After the stabbing at the lake, he wrote on the side of the victims car and it was the same writing. After the cab driver murder, he took a piece of clothing and sent it in with one of his letters as proof that he's still out there.

So at least two crimes, he had physical evidence to back it up.

I believe the theory is that the letter writer claimed murders done by others to create an alibi/throw detectives off.

It's actually a pretty clever idea.

well the premise of the show is that a cold case detective((retired)) has got onto investigating this ed edwards who, after a very storied life, finally admitted to at least 5 killing which he was convicted for, the ret cop hooks up with the grandson of ed edwards and they go around the country to different locales as the det tries to prove his theories to him, is it all bs... idk...its interesting tho because that ed edwards was a seriously brutal fellow from what is 100% known about him and if hes in the vicinity of any type of murder of this sort, he has to be a suspect ...and he was in the vicinity of alot of murders when they occured, the zodiac, atlanta child killings, jon benet ramsey even, none of which are the 5 murders he admitted to/was caught for...

out of the 5 he admitted to, 4 were in the same style/motiff/MO as the zodiac killings and the 5th was of a kid/young man that he legally adopted...took out a life insurance policy on and then subsequently killed for it, total dirtbag this guy was, its only been 4 episodes and for sure some of the evidence is sketchy ...some of it is compelling...but all of it is interesting

he was also a good friend of jimmy hoffa's, the two were cell mates and he was in around the area jimmy was in, the two were known to have gone out for dinner several times and jimmy went missing when he was going to meet someone at a resturant...theres more to ed's angle on the hoffa case but just another interesting tidbit....

I love reading about Zodiac but I'm not balls deep into it like some people. There are forums and people that have been on the case for 30+ years and all of them think the Ed Edwards story is bunk as far as being connected to Zodiac. I tend to go with the evidence and what the experts say rather than a TV show that is trying to connect this one guy to all of these unsolved murders.

It's fun but it's trying to make evidence fit one guy rather than following the evidence to the actual suspect.

I was just thinking about the opening scene. It’s pretty amazing, but why did the kid ask Darlene if that was her husband behind them at lovers lane? Was she married? I thought they were teens.

That could also be why the Zodiac paid more attention to her than the guy. If she survived she could’ve identified him. I can’t believe there wasn’t someone that could make the connection on who would be following her. She seemed pretty intimidated by the guy, surely she had discussed him in detail with a friend or family member. Certainly seemed like she recognized the car.

If I recall correctly, she's a bit older than him and yeah she's married, or at least with someone. Later on they refer back to this couple as the girl who seemed to flirt with a lot of guys, and had a party where some weirdo (whom was assumed to be Arthur Leigh Allan) from her work came by -- like house-painting party? And he wore a suit. That's why other people remembered him, and why she badly decided not to leave. She was overcompensating for her fear, thinking, "I know the guy and I'm not going to let his weirdness intimidate me." And we all know how that worked out for her.

I love reading about Zodiac but I'm not balls deep into it like some people. There are forums and people that have been on the case for 30+ years and all of them think the Ed Edwards story is bunk as far as being connected to Zodiac. I tend to go with the evidence and what the experts say rather than a TV show that is trying to connect this one guy to all of these unsolved murders.

It's fun but it's trying to make evidence fit one guy rather than following the evidence to the actual suspect.
well...after 30+years of a mass investigation by these people and they still havent figured it out...perhaps they dont know everything they think they do lol..

not saying its truth just saying its an interesting presentation also...the retired cold case detective that the show centers around....could be considered an expert((right or wrong aside))

The Blu-ray I ordered should be in tomorrow. Can't wait to watch this again with Fincher's commentary. Plus I'm pretty sure there are 2 documentaries on there. Great buy for $10.

I'm surprised at the 7.7 on IMDB. That's a good score, but I'd put it at a full point above that. I think some people are turned off at the length but it zoomed by for me.

It's really the run time that lowered the score imo. Some people have short attention span and even those that enjoy slower pace films could zone out after the 100mins ~ 120mins mark if there isn't a twist or shock by the end of the second act.

I love the film though and coincidentally I rewatched it 2 months ago. 8/10

Se7en is in my top twenty films list since forever.
Fight Club is ridiculously good.
I liked The Curious Case of Benjamin Button too.

Its a film that's not easy viewing that reached a relatively mainstream audience, that's never going to give a high score.

well...after 30+years of a mass investigation by these people and they still havent figured it out...perhaps they dont know everything they think they do lol..

not saying its truth just saying its an interesting presentation also...the retired cold case detective that the show centers around....could be considered an expert((right or wrong aside))

They haven't solved the case because the crimes happened in several jurisdictions and they had a real problem sharing information. They all held their evidence close to their vests and even to this day, aren't sharing suspects with other departments. It seems like they all want to be the ones to catch him.

Also, they didn't have cameras, GPS, DNA testing, cell phones, etc. back then. To catch someone, you pretty much had to rely on fingerprints, catch them red handed or have some kind of evidence lead back to them. It's a new world now compared to then.

I think in a matter of months, we're going to have a solid suspect. The GSK case was a breakthrough and now they are resubmitting all Zodiac evidence for further testing.

I listened to a podcast review and one guy said when he watched it in theaters there were people walking out. I guess I can see that if you were going in expecting a murderfest, but I was engaged from beginning to end. It didn't feel slow at any point for me. It was just so well done. IMO.
I might have to watch it again and just focus on it. It's been over a decade so maybe if I watch it with new eyes, I'll gain appreciation for it.

If I recall correctly, she's a bit older than him and yeah she's married, or at least with someone. Later on they refer back to this couple as the girl who seemed to flirt with a lot of guys, and had a party where some weirdo (whom was assumed to be Arthur Leigh Allan) from her work came by -- like house-painting party? And he wore a suit. That's why other people remembered him, and why she badly decided not to leave. She was overcompensating for her fear, thinking, "I know the guy and I'm not going to let his weirdness intimidate me." And we all know how that worked out for her.

I looked into it a bit and apparently she was 22 and on her 2nd husband already. The guy was 19.

They haven't solved the case because the crimes happened in several jurisdictions and they had a real problem sharing information. They all held their evidence close to their vests and even to this day, aren't sharing suspects with other departments. It seems like they all want to be the ones to catch him.

Also, they didn't have cameras, GPS, DNA testing, cell phones, etc. back then. To catch someone, you pretty much had to rely on fingerprints, catch them red handed or have some kind of evidence lead back to them. It's a new world now compared to then.

I think in a matter of months, we're going to have a solid suspect. The GSK case was a breakthrough and now they are resubmitting all Zodiac evidence for further testing.
yeah the not sharing of info even within the same departments is something that comes up on the show too, to do with the atlanta child killings, there was a letter sent to the police dept in the same style as the zodiac and signed so...yet two of the cops that were ((not directly involved)) in the case but had worked on it....neither had even heard of the letter lol

again, not saying who did or didnt do it, all Im saying is that I at least find the show to be interesting....

Edwards known history and clear disregard for human life should put him on a list of suspects in any murder that he is in the vicinity of, he was most definately in the vicinity of alot of things that were bad...that doesnt mean he did them....but a guy of his level of psychopath cant just be dismissed....even as you are doing right now with me and Im not even pushing that he is for sure the zodiac killer, now imagine how turned off of accepting an outside the box possibility that people whom have been at this case for 30+ years are going to be

yeah the not sharing of info even within the same departments is something that comes up on the show too, to do with the atlanta child killings, there was a letter sent to the police dept in the same style as the zodiac and signed so...yet two of the cops that were ((not directly involved)) in the case but had worked on it....neither had even heard of the letter lol

again, not saying who did or didnt do it, all Im saying is that I at least find the show to be interesting....

Edwards known history and clear disregard for human life should put him on a list of suspects in any murder that he is in the vicinity of, he was most definately in the vicinity of alot of things that were bad...that doesnt mean he did them....but a guy of his level of psychopath cant just be dismissed....even as you are doing right now with me and Im not even pushing that he is for sure the zodiac killer, now imagine how turned off of accepting an outside the box possibility that people whom have been at this case for 30+ years are going to be

I'm not trying to be dismissive, I and others just don't see the evidence. Other than being a murderer, he doesn't fit Zodiac. The entire Zodiac connection came because of a letter where Zodiac had a cipher and said it contained his name. The cipher contains 13 letters so someone made the connection that EdwardEdwards is 13 letters.

That's just not evidence. That's someone trying to make a piece of a puzzle fit. Edwards wasn't around during in of the Zodiac murders and was actually in jail during 2 of Zodiacs confirmed kills. His hand writing doesn't match and Edwards was convinced of numerous crimes. Also, all of his crimes seemed to be related to money or sex. Zodiac just killed and taunted police saying he will never be caught.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't see it. It's a fun TV show and Edwards is certainly interesting but I don't see a Zodiac connection.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, I and others just don't see the evidence. Other than being a murderer, he doesn't fit Zodiac. The entire Zodiac connection came because of a letter where Zodiac had a cipher and said it contained his name. The cipher contains 13 letters so someone made the connection that EdwardEdwards is 13 letters.

That's just not evidence. That's someone trying to make a piece of a puzzle fit. Edwards wasn't around during in of the Zodiac murders and was actually in jail during 2 of Zodiacs confirmed kills. His hand writing doesn't match and Edwards was convinced of numerous crimes. Also, all of his crimes seemed to be related to money or sex. Zodiac just killed and taunted police saying he will never be caught.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't see it. It's a fun TV show and Edwards is certainly interesting but I don't see a Zodiac connection.
there is more than just the cipher, Im not sure where you get that he was in jail for 2 of the murders? edwards was paroled in 67 and the first zodiac killing was in 68

If one believes the Bates killing in Riverside is Zodiac then Ross Sullivan is the best bet for that murder.

Back