Zodiac (2007)

Andersons Foot

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't find a discussion about this movie here so I figured I'd start one.

Just watched this for the first time recently after the capture of the Golden State Killer sparked my interest in the Zodiac again. This movie is fantastic. I wish that I hadn't taken so long to get to it.

The cast is phenomenal. RDJ, Gyllenhaal, Ruffalo, Cox. This is full of fantastic performances from beginning to end and it looks fantastic. If the performances aren't keeping you interested, how great this is shot should.

It does a great job at making the murder scenes creepy, it probably could've just gone full horror movie and been great. There's also a scene that doesn't involve a murder, but does involve a basement, that is also super well done in that regard.

I'm not exactly sure how accurate the details are to the real thing, but I think it's pretty close based off of what I've read. I'm sure some things are fluffed up a bit to make the movie better or more suspenseful, but they hit the important notes I believe.

zod.gif

But I think this may be in my top 10-15 favorite movies ever.

I'm surprised at the 7.7 on IMDB. That's a good score, but I'd put it at a full point above that. I think some people are turned off at the length but it zoomed by for me.

zodiac-murder-scene.gif

Thoughts?

Its a really good movie but they butcher the names of the towns out here with their terrible mispronunciations in the movie and that really sticks in my craw

Fantastic movie. 7.7 is an insult. An interesting thing Fincher did was make the victims just slightly annoying and unsympathetic. Most or all kind of did some little thing that you could see pissing off the Zodiac or which made them imperfect.

Fantastic movie. 7.7 is an insult. An interesting thing Fincher did was make the victims just slightly annoying and unsympathetic. Most or all kind of did some little thing that you could see pissing off the Zodiac or which made them imperfect.

That first girl with the braces

Yeah I'd marry her

To bad she got killed

Great, great flick.

I'll add that Summer of Sam was also quality and somewhat similar (gritty, tense, good suspense crime thriller,) though I prefer Zodiac.

The scene with the girl and her baby was pretty interesting. If you have your child with you, probably don't pull over for a stranger in the middle of the night on an empty road, and then accept a ride from him after he obviously sabotaged your vehicle.

I guess that actually happened though? So I should be more upset with the real woman and not the writing for the character.

Saw it in theaters and fell asleep. Just conked out in three seats going across and just snoozed. Woke up at the end.

For me it marks the beginning of Fincher's penchant for crafting top quality films about stories and people you hate, which consequently makes much of his work unpalatable despite the assiduous technical ability. This province has been mastered by PT Anderson, so Fincher should really go back to his story strengths of renegade subversion with a man-child lead character.

Saw it in theaters and fell asleep. Just conked out in three seats going across and just snoozed. Woke up at the end.

I listened to a podcast review and one guy said when he watched it in theaters there were people walking out. I guess I can see that if you were going in expecting a murderfest, but I was engaged from beginning to end. It didn't feel slow at any point for me. It was just so well done. IMO.

For me it marks the beginning of Fincher's penchant for crafting top quality films about stories and people you hate, which consequently makes much of his work unpalatable despite the assiduous technical ability. This province has been mastered by PT Anderson, so Fincher should really go back to his story strengths of renegade subversion with a man-child lead character.

I'm not sure I'd class this film as following that pattern though, I mean its not really about Zodiac himself is it but rather the various people after him and the effect of that obsession.

Personally I felt it was Flinchers best film by some way and indeed actually reminded me more of PT Anderson in terms of its less direct storytelling and just the quality of the production/visuals.

I'm not sure I'd class this film as following that pattern though, I mean its not really about Zodiac himself is it but rather the various people after him and the effect of that obsession.
The characters were all unlikeable.

Personally I felt it was Flinchers best film by some way and indeed actually reminded me more of PT Anderson in terms of its less direct storytelling and just the quality of the production/visuals.
His blest flilm is THE GLAME.

The characters were all unlikeable.

His blest flilm is THE GLAME.

I wouldn't say so personally, I mean there flawed to some degree but so are his earlier protagonists, the film isn't really playing on their profoundly unlikable nature though as in his latter work.

Been along time since I'v seen the Game(probably 20 years), remember it being well made with some question about the ending being a cop out? beyond that perhaps partly my personal preference to style at play, atmospheric drama over thriller.

Not everybody in the world is a likeable character

I thought it was realistic

I wouldn't say so personally, I mean there flawed to some degree but so are his earlier protagonists, the film isn't really playing on their profoundly unlikable nature though as in his latter work.
You should and moreoever I would reassess your personal relationships as well.

tumblr_n0n3xfq_Ip_F1r19x0ko8_r1_250.gif

How much dead weight's there, seriously?

Been along time since I'v seen the Game, remember it being well made with some question about the ending being a cop out? beyond that perhaps partly my personal preference to style at play, atmospheric drama over thriller.
It's better received as an allegory for turning middle aged. THE GAME also happened to fall into the shift where less audience members were willing to go with it into today where EVERYTHING is scrutinized and thrown out with the bathwater. But trust me: it's thick, solid, tight.

I thought Ruffalo was likable.
EVEN IN THE TURTLENECK?
Not everybody in the world is a likeable character
Yeah, and that's why you and I get along so well.

I like this movie a lot, although it starts to drag at the end a little. Excellent acting throughout for sure.

Back