Zabit's call-out of Chad Mendes

Mendes is #5, Zabit is #15 and won over an unranked opponent. So smart, yes, but will he get the fight? Why would Chad take that?a W won’t guarantee him a TS.

Mendes needs to fight Mocaino.

I’m still not totally sold on Zabit, not hating, just being honest.

zabit went out and just moved the entire 1st round..pretty much just having fun..did nothing..comes out the 2nd round and begins to take the guy apart..taking him down repeatedly and then submits him with a rare submission..yet you're not sold on him? haha ok buddy...

We are talking about the same fighter that pretty much just took the 1st round off and came out and tapped out his opponent like nothing, right?

When you bet on a fight to go under 1.5, you don't like it when a fighter takes a round off.
See also: Kanaru Usman.

Zabit has good grappling. His stand-up is flashy but not nearly as effective as everyone was hoping.

He looks more and more human every fight to me. I dont think they should rush him into elite competition.

He just stopped the guy in the 2nd round...didn't get hit once...how exactly did he look human??

How is he boring??

I agree he seems to have an inhuman lack of power at times, but he makes up for it with an abundance of technique. I haven't seen a boring Zabit fight yet (out of 3).

maybe you should go watch some of his fights outside of the ufc...the guy definitely has power...when he chooses...

Mendes won he should be fighting up, not down

Give Zabit Stephens or Frankie

He was getting picked apart on the feet once his striking was exposed. Fundamentals won over his flashy shit.

But his grappling is something I'd expect of a Dagestani, so if he gets washed standing, he can for sure rely on that to make the fight more competitive.

That being said, he's literally half a foot taller. He should be fighting the Yair imo. Yair has the jits, height, and standup to pose a fair threat.

Zabit also looks like he tends to be too loose and gassed in the Bochniak fight. He gets baited into exchanges. He'd get iced by the killers of 145.

he was getting picked apart on the feet? you mean those weak half leg kicks? haha, you call that being picked apart? the guy wasn't hit one time with a legit strike..not once.

I don't know if he's ready for Mendes yet. He won in impressive fashion, but was looking lackluster most of the fight. He might be able to pull it off, but I think he'd get Yair'd if he fought Frankie and isn't ready for Ortega/Holloway winner yet.

most of the fight? the fight didn't get out of the 2nd round...zabit took off the 1st round to gauge distance...

most of the fight? the fight didn't get out of the 2nd round...zabit took off the 1st round to gauge distance...
I like Zabit, but the constructive criticism is fair. I'm sure he will learn something from this fight though. He didn't look like the dominant from bell to bell beast he was in his previous fights.

Zabit has good grappling. His stand-up is flashy but not nearly as effective as everyone was hoping.

He looks more and more human every fight to me. I dont think they should rush him into elite competition.

He got caught with some nice low kicks but dodged most punches and landed the ones he threw pretty clean.

A fight vs Mendes might be similar to Yair vs Frankie. Or it could prove he belongs. Im also fine with him getting any top 10 opponent. As long as he fights

what we are wirnessing is the same shit that Khabib is getting.

Not finishing Al? OMG he can't even finish a real estate agent

Zabit taking a round off? OMG he looks terrible, was getting picked apart on his feet

People want to see a weakness in a fighter

Might be a little early for mendes. Should win one more before barking at the top 5.

Chad is really good at getting inside with his Tyson-esque feints.

C'mon, Zabit hype is a tad out of hand... but if you are over here comparing Chad's boxing (hand feints) to Tyson's... well fuck m8

I usually get mad when someone makes a thread like this and doesn't give their own prediction so I'll add...

I think Chad wins in devastating fashion so I don't think it would be very smart for Zabit at this point. Any loss generally means you peaked as overrated trash nowadays.

Given his early popularity, he could find an easier road to the title shot. I think Chad is an awful matchup for him but I hope I am proven wrong!

the real question is whether there's a top 5 fighter who would accept a #15 opponent as dangerous as Zabit.

C'mon, Zabit hype is a tad out of hand... but if you are over here comparing Chad's boxing (hand feints) to Tyson's... well fuck m8

Nobody is saying Chad or anyone in MMA is 1/100th the boxer as Tyson, but relative to MMA he has short arms and is one of the few to slip and rip like Mike to get inside making him very dangerous against rangier fighters. Straight from the book of Cus.
ExhaustedVagueIsopod-size_restricted.gif

Mendes is #5, Zabit is #15 and won over an unranked opponent. So smart, yes, but will he get the fight? Why would Chad take that?a W won’t guarantee him a TS.

Mendes needs to fight Mocaino.

I’m still not totally sold on Zabit, not hating, just being honest.

Mendes has had exactly 1 fight since coming out of a PED suspension. Who says he deserves to be #5 to begin with?

Mendes beat MYLES JURY to get ranked and Myles is currently unranked, stupid. <36>

You worship the rankings like your god, but don't even see how your god is pantless. <JagsKiddingMe>

Mendes is like 7 inches shorter than Zabit and his striking is much more basic. He was knocked out cold by Frankie Edgar, I don't understand how people can pick him over Zabit at this point. Zabit has a giant height and reach advantage and he is more technical and versatile with his striking compared to Mendes. The only thing that Mendes has over him in stand up is KO power

Zabit will beat everyone at FW, he was just playing with that guy last night and beat him with ease. Zabit has possibly the most complete skill set of any MMA fighter ever.

I'd like to see mendes beat this Abe lincoln looking mofo into bolivian.

Back