YouTube BJJ comp arm snaps....yikes! Do you change your "tap time" for comp

Will_N.O.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Followed the link from the other current "why didn't he tap" thread, which of course linked to a bunch of other touney arm breaks, many of them of them spectacularly gruesome. Probably not the wisest course of action with my 1st comp coming up.

It did lead to a question, however. I have a sense of my "tap limit" for training...I'm not some crazy "never tap" guy, but I generally will let a sub go until it's pretty sunk in before I tap...at training intensity, this usually means 3 seconds or so for an armbar depending on who I am rolling with.

All of those ugly YouTube breaks were over in that time. Do I need to think about re-calibrating my tap limit for this comp? I'm a total newb, 2 months and not especially talented so I'm not looking to medal, just get some early comp experience. Needless to say, a major involuntary mat vacation is not the sort of experience I am looking for.

Would appreciate some insight from the more comp-experienced posters. I'm just being paranoid...right?

it shouldn't be based on a time limit, if an armbar gets fully extended, i would tap, if you can keep it bent and straighten it on your own terms to do the rolling escape, if it doesn't work, tap immediately.

I heard once that an elbow will pop three times before it breaks. I have got to two and won't let it go any farther. If a guy is slowly forcing out, I will fight it for as long as I can but if it is quick and extended, I tap fairly quickly. A fucked up elbow would end my career (my real career in the military) and it isn't worth it.

i would think that allowin 1 or 2 clicks/pops is not the best strategy... don't you think those noises mean something?

it could be the severity of the injury, but it is still injury

I heard once that an elbow will pop three times before it breaks. I have got to two and won't let it go any farther. If a guy is slowly forcing out, I will fight it for as long as I can but if it is quick and extended, I tap fairly quickly. A fucked up elbow would end my career (my real career in the military) and it isn't worth it.

Wow, I have never heard that. In my last comp my elbow popped exactly 3 times before the guy let go and started apologizing profusely. I was definitely very lucky he was such a nice guy.

In my experience the elbow breaks happen from the hard and fast elbow locks. Guys get in a zone and slam on the armbar w/ on the sub on their mind. Which is one of the reasons why I don't compete.

My elbow broke from a slower armbar but I had both arms locked and could't tap. By the time I screamed it was too late.

I've had my elbow click one time, and the indescriptible pain that followed proceeded to an instant tap.

Trust me, there is absolutely no honor in not tapping, break your arm and your out for 1 year, your arm will also probably never be the same.

Unless your made of glass your arm won't just instantly break, of course that doesn't count freak accidents. tap once it's at 60-70%, if you wait longer than that it might be too late

gah! its bjj!! not bbj. its brazilian jiu jitsu not, brazilian biu jitsu.

Oh BBJ? I'm posting on a Brazilian Blow Job thread?

tap or snap.

i tell the kids to tap on locked or locking. if it hurts, it's too late. we got into this last week, but i hate the wait-and-see mentality.

am i about to break your arm? sweet, fucking tap out then.

at my pan ams, during my match, all of a sudden you hear a little girl start crying, at the mat to the right of me some little girl got her arm broken. it was really sad, she started crying, andwe were right next to it. we all stopped, till the carried her out, but man we all felt bad for her.

I would say in 2 months of training you probably haven't developed a good feel for what your limits are yet. I would tap as soon as it feels locked in.

Do NOT wait for two pops.

If I don't think I'm getting out of something I'm tapping I mean obvoiusly I will try for an escape, but if those fail I don't see the purpose of letting the guy choke me out or break my arm.

This thread makes me think of the Jiu Jitsu game in general. Now we can all ask ourselves what did we do that allowed someone to catch the arms? What can I do to stop it? How can I still remember to defend my legs-neck at the same time ..... tunnel vision be gone.

If I don't think I'm getting out of something I'm tapping I mean obvoiusly I will try for an escape, but if those fail I don't see the purpose of letting the guy choke me out or break my arm.

I'm realizing that I didn't explain this all that clearly in my first post. Yes, I absolutely tap when I don't think I am getting out of something. But for me there is a mental progression that goes something like:

I can escape!
I can probably still escape.
Maybe I can escape
Maybe I'll get lucky
I'm screwed
Ouch!

In training, I tap as soon as I get to "I'm screwed." Given the higher intensity in competition, I am wondering if I should tap when I get to "Maybe I'll get lucky"

Thoughts?

I tap right away. Instantly. I'm an amateur, and I don't give a damn about the last 2% of resistance. If you have an arm extended, you've already totally fucked up. Why pretend you haven't? Maybe if there are seconds to go in the Pan Ams or Mundials championship round would I fight it.

The tap is just a formality. The BJJ leading to that point is what matters, and whether you tap or not, you got pwned.

Never tapped in comp, a ref stopped one of my matches thou and I was really mad,

I am an adult it is my choice

sure it hurt but it wasn't on correct, the pain was in my lower arm not my joint, it wouldn't break, and he vwould have tired

subs are the only thing I am fast with
get the hold/grip quickly move past the

I can escape!
I can probably still escape.
Maybe I can escape
Maybe I'll get lucky

phases

Back