Your Top 5 Tips for the Newbie

1. Training in class is about learning, not 'winning' or 'losing'. Instead of obsessing about tapping or not tapping, obsess instead about improving your technique: aim to make at least one small advance every lesson, and eventually that will all add up to some significant progress.

That's the best one i've read on here

1 Roll as much as possible
2 Roll with people who are better than you as much as possible
3 Drill what you learn, not want you want
4 Develop a complete game
5 Position before Submission
6 Compete
7 Take a shower as quickly as you reasonably can, and wash you shorts/gi/rashguard every time

DONT STOP KEEP MOVING. i train under Rory and Adam singer, Rory was rolling with a world champ and the number one thing he pointed at was to constantly move. when you get into a position dont just sit and wait for an opportunity or just hold the position, constantly move and attempt. of course its better if you have a move or plan whenever you attempting to move which will come down the line once you learn the basics from each position. but constantly attack. if your on your back in full guard run through the chains; sweep, kimura, armbar, triangle armnaplata(spelling?), guillotine, just keep moving.

I disagree. If you are passionate, stay that way. Read everything you can get you hands on, watch everything you can. But approach your training in a logical manner. If you can't hold closed guard for more than a minute, Rubber Guard is not the place to be. Practice the techniques that are appropriate for your level and save the rest for later. There is nothing wrong with come back to a book you have owned for years to learn a new technique.

My tip, learn base, posture, and how to keep weight on your opponent. Everything is built of that.

Edit: The reason, I say get those books is that it can keep the new guy motivated when he has spent the last two weeks learning the same technique. It shows him what is in store when he masters this set of techniques. Then he can move to the next set.

I also disagree. Sure, you can burn yourself out. But you do need to insert BJJ (or anything you are trying to learn) into your life in more than just a single way (just training, for instance). You also need to go to competitions, to watch and to compete. You need to study stuff on line. Make friends in the BJJ community. You need to immerse your life into it, so that it's harder to quit. It really needs to become a lifestyle, if you are planning to go the distance.

If you're just messing around with BJJ, then do whatever you want.

1) Stretch.

2) Pay attention during instruction. Listen to what your instructor has to say and what he/she is teaching. If your not gunna listen, why even show up?

3) Set small goals. This goes for everybody. Each month you should have one goal like "I will hold side control on each person for x amount of time" or "I will only attempt to finish armbars from x position." At the end of a year that will be 12 skills you will have in your pocket. That is more than most people ever get.

4) Learn to relax. Your doing this because it is fun, remember?

5) Ask questions. A lot.

"Shut up, listen, learn."

That's for you Swimming with Sharks fans.

Don't be embarrassed to tap either...

I've rolled with some stubborn, stubborn people. I had one guy in a deep kimura who would not tap. I finally just let go and told him he shouldve tapped. If I wouldve been an asshole I could have done serious damage to his shoulder.

So you had him under control. Gradually increase the leverage and find where the limit is. If you do it slowly you will find it eventually. For this and figure four body position is key. I can't kimura to save my life but have an excellent figure four I can work on guys much bigger and stronger. With it on more flexible people (which is generally thinner people actually) I need to go to side control and sprawl on their chest to pin it or at least to cause enough weight that it will compress their shoulder even more to lift their chest.

If somebody escapes from a submission you know you could have put on harder ask them to go back to that position with you and let you find the point that they would tap. Some people will not let you do this due to ego constraints.

Warning the following tips require control of your own ego:
If they are not tapping don't let your ego get the better of you. You have ZERO right to injure somebody in training. Some moves require crazy leverage on some people and very little on others. You might have done the move "right" but its not working on them so keep trying to get it work. If you cannot get it all even by repositioning your body with a cooperative partner see if you can at least control them (ie. I am very hard to tap out with figure four but can't actually do anything from that position) and transition safely to something else. Experimenting with this will help you in rolling, competition and the street.

1. Prey on the weak and avoid the strong.
2. Always introduce yourself in Brazilian.
3. Discuss feigned injuries, then SNEAK ATTACK!
4. If your guard sucks, learn to pass gas.
5. When in doubt, ask Sherdog.

Back