Your Top 5 Tips for the Newbie

1. Practise what you're taught

I disagree. Open mat is the time for experimentation as well as reinforcing your instruction.

2. If it works, keep doing it!

I disagree with this too. If it works, STOP doing it! Your game will evolve ten times faster if you stop relying on your go-to moves and start moving into unfamiliar territory.

1.- Close your mouth while rolling.

2.- If you can't keep your mouth closed, wear a mouthguard.

3.- If you're going to do some "hard" rolling, wear a mouthguard, even if you think you keep your mouth shut. A mouthguard is like $4. A visit to the dentist is $400.

4.- Duct tape is your friend. If you're cut, close the wound. Nobody wants to roll with a bleeding pig.

5.- Never chew gum while warm-ups, training or rolling. You'll bite your tongue off, or choke with the gum.

6.- If you're one of the sweaty pigs of the gym, carry a towel around and wipe the sweat off before and in between rolls.

7.- Leave the "fancy escapes" for the times you're training with someone who knows what he's doing, and will let you work them properly (a more advanced and trusted training partner).

That's more than 5, but what gives.

Slow down
Breathe
Slow down more
Don't spaz
Tap early and a lot
Ask questions
Don't complain
Don't quit after 2 weeks like everyone else

I've let go a few deep submissions because I didn't want to hurt my partner. It's a little frustrating for a whitebelt who is learning a new sub, and trying to figure out how far he needs to push something before hurting my partner. I end up having to ask "was my technique effective?"

I just don't get it. It's like... "I can push this harder and tear everything in your shoulder, while we are training, not even in a fight" or you can tap and we'll start over.

It's craziness. I don't go into no gi class thinking I'm going to submit more than I'll tap. In fact, I know I'm going to tap a hell of a lot more. Just like someone sparring Thai for the first time should know he probably isn't going to knock me out or even hit me with anything good.

Does that make sense?

I'm a white belt so maybe not the best advice but I feel like typing.

I think first off train with the best instructors in your area... makes a huge difference.

It's been said before but position over submission is very important, I find if I can control somebody I'll wear them out to make the submission a lot easier.

Start with the basics, I love the Gracie's because they focus a lot on them and they are what works.

Staying calm under pressure is huge, best example is watching BJ Penn. You could never tell if he was winning or losing a fight based on his demeanor... he is calm through and through and it helps him conserve energy.

I'm a little torn on the "tap early and often" point of view. If you tap too early you actually hinder your opponents ability to gauge an accurate assessment of that submission AND you don't really develop a taste for the shit-has-hit-the-fan-so-now-wtf-do-I-do ability that comes in handy. Personally I hold off on a submission until I'm totally pinned and have no energy left to escape or I feel pain starting (unless the guy is an ape and cranks submissions in practice, I'll tap early and avoid his ass). Only exception is leg locks, they don't usually hurt until something pops so those I don't play as much with those.

Hygiene is huge. Wash you clothes, air out your equipment and shower ASAP. Keep your nails trimmed back too, I have a scar on my thumb from a long nail.

Also train in judo and workout at the gym, you'll get better in takedowns (and takedown defense) and improving your cardio and strength will help you gain confidence in tougher situations.

Last, HAVE FUN! Sometimes I don't like going to the gym because I think I'm gonna be owned again and choked worst then a crack-dealer who swallowed his junk in-front of the cops... only to end up having a blast and learning some cool shit. Ask your instructor if somethings not clear, chances are if you didn't get it so didn't a few other guys.

Damn, I had a lot to say I guess.

1. Relax and flow
2. Persistence is the key
3. Be dynamic, not static
4. Less strength - think more
5. Learning>ego - don't worry about losing

Protect yourself and your training partners.

Stay calm.

Try to have a motive/strategy for everything you do.

Get as much mat time in as possible.

Stay consistent.

Make the actual grappling your primary training, but take the training you do outside the gym seriously as well.

1. Focus on technique, not strength.
2. Worry about positioning, not submissions.
3. Focus on your weaknesses.
4. Figure out how to escape from side-mount.
5. Focus on the basics and pay attention to detail

Don't use strength and speed to produce results when you are beginner. Learn the technique. When you have done that you will learn when using strength and speed are necessary.

Always work on position over submissions. If you have superior position then the submission will come much easier.

Got my first "real" submission today. I'm pretty stoked.

Was rolling with a guy who's been training for 2 months or so and went from guard to side mount. From there, I was able to transition to full mount and he almost bucked me off but he left his left arm up for a second too long and I transitioned to armbar!

Thank God he knew to tap too... I thought he was going to be stubborn. I actually let him go before he tapped, simply because I knew I had him. It was quite a good feeling.

1. Wear a patched ATAMA gi to your first session
2. Get your white belt embroidered
3. You know that cool move you saw on YouTube? Just try it - it'll work for sure
4. Warm-ups are a waste of good training time
5. You MUST win at all costs - even when drilling

1. learn to fall
2. learn to tap
3. learn to fall
4. always, always, respect your instructor
5. have fun

1. When attacking, keep as tight as possible
2. When defending, create as much space as possible
3. Learn to tap, then learn the situation that got you there
4. Go to as many classes as possible
5. Learn the closed guard before you learn the rubber guard

I disagree. If you are passionate, stay that way. Read everything you can get you hands on, watch everything you can. But approach your training in a logical manner. If you can't hold closed guard for more than a minute, Rubber Guard is not the place to be. Practice the techniques that are appropriate for your level and save the rest for later. There is nothing wrong with come back to a book you have owned for years to learn a new technique.
I'd agree. A book here, a vid there, for the <6 month newbie, sure. Gets the mind focused on grappling, and foster a passion for it.

If you're a newbie, going out and like I stated before, buying up every book you can get your hands on, watching every video on Youtube and then spending most of your time in free rolling on stuff you look at from these materials, then that's too much, and will most likely hinder you.

IMO the first 6 months should be mainly about getting used to the ground and different positions, and maybe starting to develop the fringes of a game towards the latter part of that duration.

1. Wear a patched ATAMA gi to your first session
2. Get your white belt embroidered
3. You know that cool move you saw on YouTube? Just try it - it'll work for sure
4. Warm-ups are a waste of good training time
5. You MUST win at all costs - even when drilling

this man knows what he's talking about!

From a newb (less than a year) to the other newbs:

1. Relax
2. Focus on positional escapes
3. Train your cardio
4. Be consistent
5. Eat, rest well, and make sure you have good hygiene

1. Leave your ego with your shoes; OFF THE MATS. The goal of training is to get better, not to beat your partners. Try things, don't just stick to what you are comfortable with, and get used to tapping.

2. learn to stay calm. Many times I have escaped submissions that I thought were in just by relaxing and waiting a few seconds. Helps immensely in competitions and real fights.

3. Grapple people who are better than you. this goes back to #1, about not being afraid to get schooled in training. Beating up noobs improves nothing but your ego. "Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield."

4. Get in shape. You must do other forms of working out other than just rolling if you want to have competition-ready levels of strength and conditioning.

5. Just train. There is no substitute for time spent on the mats training. Someone with natural talent who trains once a week will get beat by a less gifted person who trains 5 times a week.

Back