Your Thoughts On Igor Vovchanchyn?

Some of his key losses late in his career showed he was too basic on the ground with the closed guard defense being his go-to. Otherwise stood out for his handspeed and being more evolved skill wise than the guys he faced on the tough man circuit. Dangerous fighter to face even with the shortcomings.
yeah, he lacked in the ground game, but there was no real all-around fighter back then in the 90s... An all-around fighter appeared with GSP.

yeah, he lacked in the ground game, but there was no real all-around fighter back then in the 90s... An all-around fighter appeared with GSP.
They were sparse. GSP for sure. I'd say Frank Shammy and maybe Bas, though he lacked takedown defense. Miletich deserves a mention as well, also for how he improved Sylvia. Saku and Vitor, as well. I'd throw in Mezger, because he's underrated. Igor was among that "evolved for the time" group.

Last edited:
They were sparse. GSP for sure. I'd say Frank Shammy and maybe Bas, though he lacked takedown defense. Miletich deserves a mention as well, also for how he improved Sylvia. Saku and Vitor, as well. I'd throw in Mezger, because he's underrated. Igor was among that "evolved for the time" group.
Yeah, agree.

One of the greatest NHB fighters of all time. Period.

Some of his key losses late in his career showed he was too basic on the ground with the closed guard defense being his go-to. Otherwise stood out for his handspeed and being more evolved skill wise than the guys he faced on the tough man circuit. Dangerous fighter to face even with the shortcomings.

The Tra Telligman loss also showed that he could struggle with a pace and a jab. Being small and power-strike based as he was. Just had trouble bridging that distance with anything that wasn't explosive.

Yes, I know, a jab in 2001. Novel.

The Tra Telligman loss also showed that he could struggle with a pace and a jab. Being small and power-strike based as he was. Just had trouble bridging that distance with anything that wasn't explosive.

Yes, I know, a jab in 2001. Novel.
That is true. I am so glad there are so many classic MMA fans on this forum. :)

Arguably the best tournament fighter in MMA history. Arguably the best NHB fighter of the 90s, despite usually competing in the less glamorous corners of the sport.

If you look at his frame when he was in his mid-20s physical prime, you see that Igor was ‘really’ a MW who then bulked up massively with fat to compete at HW.

The first truly monstrous hitter in MMA. Igor’s power would sleep most contemporary HW fighters, no question. Just imagine what he would do to MWs if he cracked them. Call the morgue! A fucking machine.

My first time seeing him was again trauma telligman, so it kind of skewed my opinion of him. Was a killer for sure, but i think he was very vulnerable

Guys, I bet there are a lot of fans of old-style MMA here. So what are your thoughts of Igor Vovchanchyn? I think he was the first really powerful fighter from Eastern Europe. And his level of brutality was awesome too.

He got Cro Copped too, but man, he was a beast, and he was always ready to fight anybody!

Fedor even said himself in an interview he based his punching style on Vovchanchyn

one of my favs all time. love the story of his village ringing a bell to let everyone know Igor was drinking and to steal clear of him.
Dream match ups-
Igor/Tank (early UFC era)
Igor/Vitor (around time Vitor beat tank)
Igor/Wandy (pride era-didn't quite happen)
Igor/Fedor (early Fedor reign era)
Igor/Chuck (iceman era)
This post just gave me a stiffy.

Back