Your Thoughts On Igor Vovchanchyn?

I agree with all of you, he was a natural-born killer before Carlos Condit, and many of his fights were like executions.

one of my favs all time. love the story of his village ringing a bell to let everyone know Igor was drinking and to steal clear of him.
Dream match ups-
Igor/Tank (early UFC era)
Igor/Vitor (around time Vitor beat tank)
Igor/Wandy (pride era-didn't quite happen)
Igor/Fedor (early Fedor reign era)
Igor/Chuck (iceman era)

Good fighter. Very entertaining. Good Highlight reel.

Unfortunately, he will always be that guy who Cro Cop landed his sweetest kick on.

one of my favs all time. love the story of his village ringing a bell to let everyone know Igor was drinking and to steal clear of him.
Dream match ups-
Igor/Tank (early UFC era)
Igor/Vitor (around time Vitor beat tank)
Igor/Wandy (pride era-didn't quite happen)
Igor/Fedor (early Fedor reign era)
Igor/Chuck (iceman era)
aw yeah... it would've been awesome to watch.

Good fighter. Very entertaining. Good Highlight reel.

Unfortunately, he will always be that guy who Cro Cop landed his sweetest kick on.
Well, probably, but I think we have a death race between Igor and Wandy when it comes to Cro Copping.

I'm taking the liberty to post this- one of the most brutal fights in the history of the sport and one where a fighter could have come closest to death - but still wanted more.
Wouldn't be see or allowed today.
Enson spent more than a week in hospital with a swollen brain after this one.

Insane brutality and insane fighting spirit meet in a dangerous combination.

Enson I have a question about that one. Was there any time when you felt you could have beaten Igor at the begnning, you looked like you stunned him A bit on the feet before he pushed you down?
Also, was there any time when you were in there that you literally feared you may not make it though, it's seems like you almost had a desire to push it until it wasn't possible anymore.

Last edited:
I'm taking the liberty to post this- one of the most brutal fights in the history of the sport and one where a fighter could have come closest to death - but still wanted more.

Enson I have a question about that one. Was there any time when you felt you could have beaten Igor at the begnning, you looked like you stunned him A bit on the feet before he pushed you down?
Also, was there any time when you were in there that you literally feared you may not make it though, it's seems like you almost had a desire to push it until it wasn't possible anymore.

NO there really wasn't a time when I felt I had him. However, I did think that if I kept chopping down on the cut I opened up maybe it would split more and make them stop the fight.

Not for a second did my mind set get disrupted. I was prepared to die and was so focused that I never for a second thought I wouldn't make it through.

NO there really wasn't a time when I felt I had him. However, I did think that if I kept chopping down on the cut I opened up maybe it would split more and make them stop the fight.

Not for a second did my mind set get disrupted. I was prepared to die and was so focused that I never for a second thought I wouldn't make it through.

Knowing what I do about your values and why you got into fighting, this doesn't surprise me.

Also, it seems like you were playing an active guard game and trying to go for submissions but this left you open. It looked like you could been more defensive and tried to have pulled his head down more and held him to stop him posting up and launching so many punches, but you didn't want to do this. Was that part of the strategy or was he just too difficult to hold in a fully closed guard? Igor pretty much blasted through the guard in a way we have only seen Fedor do.

One of the best fights in the history of MMA, undoubtedly!

Knowing what I do about your values and why you got into fighting, this doesn't surprise me.

Also, it seems like you were playing an active guard game and trying to go for submissions but this left you open. It looked like you could been more defensive and tried to have pulled his head down more and held him to stop him posting up and launching so many punches, but you didn't want to do this. Was that part of the strategy or was he just too difficult to hold in a fully closed guard? Igor pretty much blasted through the guard in a way we have only seen Fedor do.

YEah I wanted to break his arn and that would have been impossible being defensive. To punch man your hands must leave your face which will allow the possibility of being hit.

Beat a guy with headbutts....while being mounted against the cage

First real successful tank build in mma

Some of his key losses late in his career showed he was too basic on the ground with the closed guard defense being his go-to. Otherwise stood out for his handspeed and being more evolved skill wise than the guys he faced on the tough man circuit. Dangerous fighter to face even with the shortcomings.

Back