Your thoughts on Dan Henerson back to MW

Yeah. Plus, he isn't getting any younger and most will say cutting weight gets harder with age.

Who says that? Wandy and Vitor started cutting a lot of weight only very late in their careers. Randy has also said that the weight cut process was easy for him late in the career.

If he loses to Machida. I like both, so I'm staying neutral on this one. If he were to lose would the jump back to MW be a good decision?

Not at all. Dan's gas tank at LHW isn't great, and it's terrible at MW. Bad back or not, LHW Dan never loses to a fighter like Shields.

He's only had 1 bad MW fight, so i think it would be a good move for him. If he loses to Machida, he'll have a better chance of fighting Silva than he does Jones.

Does the name "Misaki" ring a bell? Decision Dan had a number of poor showing at 183 in Pride, and he's lucky that his record doesn't reflect that fact.

Does the name "Misaki" ring a bell? Decision Dan had a number of poor showing at 183 in Pride, and he's lucky that his record doesn't reflect that fact.

Isn't his nickname Decision Dan from his Kondo and Ninja Rua fights? Those were at LHW.

Who says that? Wandy and Vitor started cutting a lot of weight only very late in their careers. Randy has also said that the weight cut process was easy for him late in the career.

Several fighters have commented that it gets harder and harder to cut the older they get. Bendo is one off the top of my head that has commented he'll be fighting at 170 eventually. Jon Jones is another notable example of a guy we all know is destined for HW. But it's probably down to the individual, some probably have an easier time than others.

Some guys just don't perform well on a cut, Dan is one of those guys.lol

He's only had 1 bad MW fight, so i think it would be a good move for him. If he loses to Machida, he'll have a better chance of fighting Silva than he does Jones.

but after that fight he admitted that the cut to 185 at his age is becoming too tough he doesn't want to do it anymore (unless it's to fight Anderson :icon_chee)

"I prefer to fight (at) light heavyweight," Henderson said. "I'm not fond of cutting weight any more, and there's only one fight that I'd probably fight at 185."

ufc 139s dan henderson not keen on 185 pounds except for anderson silva

Last edited:
I don't think he would! Same problem with wand, age being a problem to cut so much weight.

Several fighters have commented that it gets harder and harder to cut the older they get. Bendo is one off the top of my head that has commented he'll be fighting at 170 eventually. Jon Jones is another notable example of a guy we all know is destined for HW. But it's probably down to the individual, some probably have an easier time than others.

I've only seem that being said about young fighters who are still becoming full grown men and naturally getting bigger in the process (e.g. Rory, Jones, Bendo, Aldo).

Obviously, this does not apply to a 40 years old fighter.

I rather see him stay at LHW, pretty sure he said he doesn't even want to drop unless he fights Anderson.

Isn't his nickname Decision Dan from his Kondo and Ninja Rua fights? Those were at LHW.

I was under the impression that it was due to his complete body of work in Pride, not just those two fights. On the other hand, if Dan wants to drop down to 185 to pound out Bisping again I'm sure nobody will complain.

No. His cardio is already not great at 205. The cut to 185 at his age wouldn't be good. It's not like he's losing to guys b/c of size. He beat Cavalcante and Fedor who are both big. His fights vs Shogun and Machida won't tell us if size is a factor either b/c they are both somewhat smaller LHW (especially Machida).

NO WAY! He was always a better fighter at 205. He is older now, his energy wouldn't be there but he could make the weight still.

He lost to Shield because of gas problems that did not happen on the Palhares or the Bisping fights for example. On the other hand he gassed horribly against Shogun and Vera at LHW.

I missed Hendo vs. Vera. How did that fight go?

I don't think Dan is good for 5 rounds at any weight these days. However, he looks much better at LHW. After the awful Shields fight, where he only performed well in the 1st round, look how he did against Babalu, Cavalcante, Fedor and Shogun (for the first 3 rounds, enough for a win).

It was a brutal KO win for Hendo. He picked up both the Fight of the Night, and KO of the Night, bonuses. He also got to bed a certain "lovely" WMMA fighter for his trouble. It's too bad you missed it - it's probably the fight of the year.

I don't think Dan is good for 5 rounds at any weight these days. However, he looks much better at LHW. After the awful Shields fight, where he only performed well in the 1st round, look how he did against Babalu, Cavalcante, Fedor and Shogun (for the first 3 rounds, enough for a win).

lol! brainfart

To be fair Hendo is 6 and 7 years older than Wand and Vitor respectfully. Randy is just a freak lol. Exception that proves the rule.
Basically it's more pressure on your body and as you age that is going to take it's toll. It's almost always gonna get harder as you get older.

he isn't beating Silva. He looked awful in his last MW fight. He should stay at 205 imo

Back