White Belt
Reaction score
My current routine is such:
Mon- Chest n Back
Tues- Shoulders n Arms
Wed- Legs
Th- Chest n Back
Fr- Should n Arms

I know the fact that it is 5 times a week is probably to much and can lead to over training, but the thing is when ever i think about doing or do a 3 day routine lke MWF or somthing i feel like to much time passes between the same muscle so i shrink or dont grow like i should, i think this is mental but i dont know. Are 3 days a week ideal, and is that not growin stuff on 3 days a week bull shit.

ill just give you the most typical reply you will get on this forum. i dont claim to be an expert and im only strong compared to joe office, in other words im whale shit at the bottom of the ocean as far as real strength athletes are concerned...so dont feel like im preaching to you or get off on giving advice or anything. so anyways,

1. what are you goals? no one can help you with a routine unless they know what you want out of it. if you are looking to get bigger for aesthetic purposes you will not find much help here. this is a strength and power forum, not a bodybuilding forum, and we arent concerned with how we look, but with how much weight we lift and, presumably, how well that transfers to mma or another martial art.

2. your routine sucks. judging by the fact that you have an arms/shoulders day, this is a very bodybuilding influenced routine and will probably give you shit strength and power gains in comparison with a better routine. yes, bodybuilders are strong....as strong as powerlifters or strongmen? not even close.

3. the most basic routine you can do is a three day split with deadlifts, bench, and squats (or some variation of each) as your main lifts. it would go something like this:
day 1: deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, bent over rows
day2: bench, incline db, close grip bench
day 3: squat, good mornings, lunges

if you are new to lifting, keep it in the 8-10 rep range for the first 8 weeks, then start moving down in reps and up in sets as you increase the weight on the main lifts. somewhere around week 12 you should be doing a 5x5 repsxsets scheme on your main lifts. after a couple weeks there, start moving down in reps and up in sets again, doing something like 6 sets of 2-3 reps, then work up to your one rep max and start the program over again at 5x5, or even higher reps if you really want.

you will notice there isnt much isolation work if any. thats good, heavy compound exercises are going to give you the most bang for your buck - and if you are so compelled to do curls, do them last and do them with a thickbar, or wrap a towel around a regular bar to do them.

* this routine isnt crafted to your goals, it is very cut and dry. you may want to add ab work, cardio training (HIIT, not running long distances at a moderate jog), grip work, sled pulling, plyometrics, rope climbing, tabatas etc. depending on your goals. for example, im into bjj, so my routine includes (on top of the basic routine) lots of grip work because it is important for grappling and loads of tabatas for muscular endurance and i get my cardio while training.

oh yes, and READ THE STICKIES

I'm not going to crtique your routine as it has already been done very well. so I'll skip to my routine

Monday: full body ME
friday: full body DE or complex training

other than that there's a bunch of gpp, conditioning and strongman shit. spewed across 4 other days of the week.

FYI, many posters on this forum also keep a log in the training logs section. you can see in depth what people are doing there.

Mine...

Day 1:
Box Squat: 3x3
Pause Squat: 3x3 (3 seconds pause)
Goodmornings: 3x8-10

Day2: Press Day 1
Bench 3x3
Dumbell Overhead Press 3x8
Pushdowns 6x10

Day 3 Pulls
Deadlift or Rack Pulls.. Reps and sets always change
Romainian DL: 3-4x6-8
Bent Over Rows 3-4x6-8
Snatch Grip Shrugs: 3-4x6-8

Day 4: Press Day 2
Incline Press 3-4X5-6
Narrow Grip 3 Board Press 3-4X3-5
Flat DB Bench 3-4X6-8
Pushdowns 6-8X10
Kelso Rows 4X8-12
Rotators

My routine > Yours

Yeah Izwar, it doesn't get much better than what colinm posted. I'd say follow his suggestions.

I do a more bodybuilding style workout myself Izwar, but after reading colinm's post I think I'm ready to convert to power / strength. Here's a typical week for me presently:

Monday: Cardio - 30 minutes to an hour, usually cross country with hills.
Tuesday: Weight Room - Chest and shoulders 1 hour
Wednesday: Judo - 2 to 3 hours
Thursday: Cardio - same as above
Friday: Weight Room - Back and arms 1 hour
Saturday: Maybe legs, maybe cardio, depends
Sunday: Cardio, + Judo - 2 to 3 hours

Again, my weight room routine is body builder style, starting with light weight and high reps and then by the 5th set heavier weight and low reps.
Follow colinm's routine, not mine. I'm a convert starting today!

Mon: back and bi I pick 3 exercises from the following list, HS = Hammer Strenght machine, I try to switch up what I do every week but I try to do barbell rows and pullups more frequently then the rest as I get the most out of them

Cable Pull Downs
HS Pull Downs
Barbell Row
Seated Cable Row
HS Row
HS Iso Row
T-Bar Row
Dumbell Row
Pullups

1 Bicep exercise to finish them off I myself need this some don't, as well I do 1 rear delt exercise and 1 shrug exercise

Wed: Chest Tri same thing applies here I pick 3 exercises, I try to do one of each different type of machine on my chest day and get a different resistance but I won't be using the cable machines much lnoger as they won't be within my 80-90% 1rm

Flat Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Flat Dumbell Press
Incline Dumbell Press
Flat machine press (cable)
Incline machine press (cable)
HS Wide chest
HS incline chest

I finish off with 1 tri exercise usually dips
I might do 1 military press as well although my shoulders are jacked

Fri: Legs this one I will always do squats and for now I also do deadlifts on this day

Deadlifts
Squats

then any of these:
Vertical Leg press
once in a while although I haven't in a long time I may go with 45 degree leg press
extensions and curls
stiff leg deadlifts
inner outer thighs and a glut machine (I do these to help my kicks)

I also try and train grip/forearms m/w/f, as well some bjj m/w/f for 2 hours and some tkd t/th/sat for 1 hour

and this folks is my gay routine =)

enjoy
-E

Mine is simple and effective. My goals are for general strength, and because I enjoy the smell of iron and sweat.

Monday
Deadlift
Auxilaries: weighted situps, bent press, neck, Sledge hammer

Tuesday
Run (3 miles)
Farmer's Walk

Wednesday
Squat
Bench
Auxilaries: weighted situps, Windmills, Sledge hammer

Thursday
Run (3 miles)
Farmer's Walk

And there you have it. Short, simple, to the point. Every month, I have something I like to call FoTM (flavor of the month). This month's FoTM is grip and core conditioning (just some quirky thing I do to keep things interesting).

Lusst said:
Mine is simple and effective. My goals are for general strength, and because I enjoy the smell of iron and sweat.

Monday
Deadlift
Auxilaries: weighted situps, bent press, neck, Sledge hammer

Tuesday
Run (3 miles)
Farmer's Walk

Wednesday
Squat
Bench
Auxilaries: weighted situps, Windmills, Sledge hammer

Thursday
Run (3 miles)
Farmer's Walk

And there you have it. Short, simple, to the point. Every month, I have something I like to call FoTM (flavor of the month). This month's FoTM is grip and core conditioning (just some quirky thing I do to keep things interesting).

we are a lot a like, I have a flavor of the month too! It's redheads though.

Bubble Boy said:
Yeah Izwar, it doesn't get much better than what colinm posted. I'd say follow his suggestions.

I do a more bodybuilding style workout myself Izwar, but after reading colinm's post I think I'm ready to convert to power / strength. Here's a typical week for me presently:

Monday: Cardio - 30 minutes to an hour, usually cross country with hills.
Tuesday: Weight Room - Chest and shoulders 1 hour
Wednesday: Judo - 2 to 3 hours
Thursday: Cardio - same as above
Friday: Weight Room - Back and arms 1 hour
Saturday: Maybe legs, maybe cardio, depends
Sunday: Cardio, + Judo - 2 to 3 hours

Again, my weight room routine is body builder style, starting with light weight and high reps and then by the 5th set heavier weight and low reps.
Follow colinm's routine, not mine. I'm a convert starting today!
Great choice dude.

Your judo power is gonna go up a few folds.

Fedorable said:
we are a lot a like, I have a flavor of the month too! It's redheads though.

Depends on the redhead IMO, alot of look like they got seconds at the Freckle Factory.

what is your training goal? I honestly think bodybuilding has polluted many minds of training

good stuff bubbleboy, join the dark side where sexiness is not an acceptable training goal. im sorry to admit that i only converted a couple months ago myself, but have noticed a drastic improvement in strength and conditioning and its really helped while rolling.

i tried chad waterburys method for awhile and it seemed to be okay, but there was very little variety and it got boring quick. you can read about it in my training log

im starting westside today and really looking forward to it. ill let you know how that goes.

side note: anybody else done westside in depth for an extended period of time? howd it go? how did you alter it? im probably going to replace all the elbow flexion with another more useful exercise

wenispinkle said:
i tried chad waterburys method for awhile and it seemed to be okay, but there was very little variety and it got boring quick. you can read about it in my training log

im starting westside today and really looking forward to it. ill let you know how that goes.

side note: anybody else done westside in depth for an extended period of time? howd it go? how did you alter it? im probably going to replace all the elbow flexion with another more useful exercise

I think Dan181 did it. He was strong as hell, but he got banned, so it can't be that great of a system...

wenispinkle said:

i have a very west-sidesque workout, i need to update my logs though, maybe tomorrow.

Back