Your reaction when you first heard Metallica's "St. Anger"

Rex Kwon Do

ál-ḥámdúlílláh
@Silver
Reaction score
Mine was disgust, disappointment and anger (ha!).

giphy.gif

disappointed1.gif

triple-h-angry.gif

So...what were your feelings when Stanger--I mean St. Anger--was released? Did anyone actually like that album? I felt like what old school fans must have felt like when Load came out: betrayed and horrified.

tbh

triple-h-nod.gif

I never was a big Metallica fan though

Not as bad as my reaction to The View but as much disgust as my reaction to Lars' nipple ring in the Until it Sleeps video.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It was so cringe-worthy. The terrible production, the crappy songs. There was one song where he sings "my lifestyle dictates, my death style". Wtf where they thinking? I'm glad they were able to turn it around after that.

I said this Fn sucks and im just going to pretend these guys arent around anymore and so thats what I did

Doon tis doon tis doon tis lars drums were so bad on that man

tbh

triple-h-nod.gif

I never was a big Metallica fan though

I wonder if we could do a whole thread with just Triple H reactions. He doesn't have a wide range of emotions, but since this is a Stanger thread and thus most will be negative, it would probably still work.

giphy.gif

It was so cringe-worthy. The terrible production, the crappy songs. There was one song where he sings "my lifestyle dictates, my death style". Wtf where they thinking? I'm glad they were able to turn it around after that.

I said this Fn sucks and im just going to pretend these guys arent around anymore and so thats what I did

Lol

giphy.gif

Not as bad as my reaction to The View but as much disgust as my reaction to Lars' nipple ring in the Until it Sleeps video.

If you think the nip ring was disgusting, you should see Lars eating a sandwich.

If you think the nip ring was disgusting, you should see Lars eating a sandwich.

I'm not sure what's worse. The nip ring, his eating habits, or his drumming.

As soon as I saw the title of this topic, my mind instantly went to the disgusted Eastwood gif. The OP took care of me in that regard.

I remember that an acquaintance(NOT a friend) of mine was enamored with the album when it came out, and played it for some friends and I. He had some expectation that we'd enjoy it as much as he did, but the mutual reaction was one of equal parts disappointment, disgust, and contempt for our acquaintance's high regard for the album. We roasted him for years over that one.

It is amazing that no one went "we need to make the drums sound a wee bit better"

It is amazing that no one went "we need to make the drums sound a wee bit better"

I think thats the sound they were going for. I think they wanted to sound raw or something but it just ended up sounding shitty. Raw is for punk bands at basement shows not mega bands who been doing it 40 years

I'm not sure what's worse. The nip ring, his eating habits, or his drumming.

Lmao

If you wanted to play devil's advocate, I guess you could say Lars is just the victim of the band having too large a catalog. But if you wanted to be honest, then yeah, you would say it's because he sucks.

"simular"

"Yeah, they're all 'simular'--they have guitars, bass, drums..."

He got owned so hard there.

I literally thought something was wrong with my stereo or copy of the CD. The production/mastering was absolutely hideous which is incredible because it was Bob Rock who made one of the best mastered albums of all time in the Black album.

I think it was a week after or so but Megadeth's "The World Needs a Hero" came out and when the first track hit, it was a wave of relief which how much better it sounded than St. Anger.

I know Rock and Metallica were going for a garage/low-fi type vibe but they tried to use studio trickery to make it sound that way instead of just recording it that way. It sounded fake and overly produced. If you wanted it to sound that way, they should have actually recorded in a garage with old equipment. The Foo Fighters did just that with their "Wasting Light" album and it sounds fantastic.

One of the biggest fuck ups of all time.

I literally thought something was wrong with my stereo or copy of the CD.

Lol.
I remember going for the treble button like WTF? Who was messing with my stereo?

Lmao

If you wanted to play devil's advocate, I guess you could say Lars is just the victim of the band having too large a catalog. But if you wanted to be honest, then yeah, you would say it's because he sucks.

"simular"

"Yeah, they're all 'simular'--they have guitars, bass, drums..."

He got owned so hard there.
He was never that bad in the early days though so what happened? Did he just get lazy or did his deal with the devil run out?

I actually thought the song St anger was "ok" but didn't know the whole album would sound weird like that and the other songs sucked way more.

Death Magnetic was still fucking awesome though so I forgive them.........sort of.

He was never that bad in the early days though so what happened? Did he just get lazy or did his deal with the devil run out?

Success probably went to his head and he stopped practicing. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe he started the band without even knowing how to play, or having very little experience at least. I think he just wanted to be a rock star and was willing to play whatever instrument (or no instrument) as long as he could accomplish that.

It's funny that they had such a great bassist in Cliff Burton and such a mediocre drummer. What an uneven rhythm section.

After St. Anger I have not listened to a single new Metallica song. That means I've missed over 10 years. Have they done anything worthwhile in that period of time? I was so disgusted by St. Anger that I wasn't willing to give them a chance.

If they went back to making great music and not worrying about genre or some stupid aesthetic, that'd be for the best. I have no idea how to categorize a couple of their albums, and that was a good thing. It was as simple as saying they just had good songs.

After St. Anger I have not listened to a single new Metallica song. That means I've missed over 10 years. Have they done anything worthwhile in that period of time? I was so disgusted by St. Anger that I wasn't willing to give them a chance.

If they went back to making great music and not worrying about genre or some stupid aesthetic, that'd be for the best. I have no idea how to categorize a couple of their albums, and that was a good thing. It was as simple as saying they just had good songs.
I thought Death Magnetic was their best album since AJFA

Back