Tidwell belt
Banned
Reaction score
Go

How much should people pay?

Based on your countrys currency etc

My view:

https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/120314917

What I lay out below is a thought experiment; don't stumble across the numbers if they irritate you and try to go with the thought experiment.

My general question is if you would be willing to pay more taxes if you could directly influence where they go.

So let's assume your tax rate is around 30%. Now the proposal goes like this: You pay 2.5% (or so) more in taxes. However, you get to allocate these 2.5% and an additional 2.5% (in other words: 5 percentage points of your 32.5% tax rate or about 15% of the total tax you pay) the way you like.

For example, if you earn 75,000$ a year, you would pay 22,500$ in tax but you would opt for the "democratic" tax scheme and therefore pay 24,375$.

However, only 20,985$ directly goes to the state. The other 3,750$ you can freely allocate.

For example, if you are a space exploration guy like me, you give a high share of it to NASA (or whatever your state's space agency is called).

If you believe veterans get not enough respect, you can allocate money to government programs that do something for them.

If you believe abstinence programs are underfunded, you give them your money.

And so on.

1) What do you think of the general idea?

2) If you do disagree with any proposal that includes "paying more tax", what do you think of the general idea of democratic tax allocation I laid out above?

Reduce all taxes down to a flat rate of 0.005%. Incinerate the boards of education and transportation entirely, and begin publicly treating the US military like the mercenary outfit it is by openly advertising lucrative defense contracts.

The ideal tax structure is pretty much the opposite of what it currently is. Not even talking about dollar or percentage amounts, but the smallest amount should go to federal, then state a bit more, then city a bit more. I mean we're trying to figure out the best system and letting people vote with their feet. It's easier to leave your city, a bit harder to leave your state, and a bit harder to leave your country. I also think a flat tax would be better so people can't vote for tax increases for other people and not themselves.

Interesting but can you list a structure? Not hypothethical. So you are in Germany

How would you change Germays current tax structure.

I am curious what people have to say and if anyone in the War Room wants to pay more.

I consider paying taxes a good thing in general. Living in peace is a great thing. So I want my country to care for the needy and ensure social peace is upheld internally, and I want it to build an army, ccollaborate with other countries and engage in development aid to foster peace externally.

I also want a proper infrastructure (roads, railways, electricity grids). Privatizing all of that is not a valid option, so I am happy with my tax Euros being spent there.

This is the federal budget for Germany 2020:

2019-06-26-bundeshaushalt-grafik.png

Obviously I would like more of the budget to go into the orange-y topics (education and research, infrastructure) and less into the huge yellow bucket. But reducing the yellow bucket would likely increase inequality and make life here less safe. So I would not want any swift changes.

Progressive income tax

no payroll tax or stamp duty, instead land tax and VAT/GST.

No Capital gains tax discount, instead gains are spread over the past 10 years and taxed at marginal rates accordingly.

No estate taxes.

Low company tax at an internationally agreed upon rate, all countries outside the agreement subject to tariffs on all outflows (making it cost prohibitive).

Not exclusively a tax issue but legislation to ensure no one pays higher than 50% as a marginal tax rate. Contry to popular belief the most people paying over 50% are those not earning millions but those getting welfare. This structure discourages people working their way of welfare and is unbelievablely common internationally.

Last edited:
I think everybody, no matter their income should be taxed at 1.5%
Set up go fund me for homeless people, that way the local government doesn't have an endless fund to buy vagabonds drugs and hotel rooms with.

Depends what the taxes go to
This.

It's like saying "how much food do you think I should eat during a meal?"
Well, what the fuck is being served and how much exercise am I doing? When was my last meal and when is my next meal after that?

"taxes" as some monolithic structure is a reductive boogeyman for small brains to cry about.
There are scenarios where a heavy tax is appropriate, and others where it isn't.
In some cases tax credits/reverse taxation works (e.g. Earned Income Tax Credit).

In MMA terms it would be like saying "how many leg kicks are necessary to win a fight?" without assessing the opponent or the abilities of the fighter.

Islamic taxes are taxes sanctioned by Islamic law.

Islamic taxes include
  • zakat - one of the five pillars of Islam. Only imposed on Muslims, it is generally described as a 2.5% tax on savings to be donated to the Muslim poor and needy. It was a tax collected by the Islamic state.
  • jizya - a per capita yearly tax historically levied by Islamic states on certain non-Muslim subjects—dhimmis—permanently residing in Muslim lands under Islamic law, the tax excluded the poor, women, children and the elderly.
  • kharaj - a land tax initially imposed only on non-Muslims but soon after mandated for Muslims as well.
  • ushr - a 10% tax on the harvests of irrigated land and 10% tax on harvest from rain-watered land and 5% on Land dependent on well water. The term has also been used for a 10% tax on merchandise imported from states that taxed the Muslims on their products. Caliph `Umar ibn Al-Khattāb was the first Muslim ruler to levy ushr.
<PlusJuan>
The taxes stipulated by Islamic law generally did not generate enough revenue even for the limited expenditures made by pre-modern governments
<WhatItIs>
and rulers were forced to impose additional taxes, which were condemned by the ulema.
<{cruzshake}>

This already effectively exists via deductible gift recipients.

Let's say my marginal tax rate is say 50%.
I make a $10,000 gift to an eligible charity. I claim a tax deduction and save $5,000 tax. Effective paying $5,000 to direct $10,000 to a cause of my choosing.
That is a good point but to be fair his suggestion calls for people to choose among government programs for funding which is more a restriction. The money isn't going to a charity, it goes to the government still you just get to choose which agency or program gets funded.

Why don't we start by taking a lesson from the time period when America's middle class was actually thriving and expanding?

tax-trump-wealth-promo-1570228395029-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.png

In before "But nobody in the highest bracket ever actually paid that much!!" :mad:

Only the ignorant think progressive taxation is somehow "unfair". They simply don't understand how it functions.

The reality is that both Middle Class Jim and Jeff Bezos pay the exact same rate on the first 50K they make in a year. It's just that that 50K is all Middle Class Jim makes for the entire year. While Jeff reaches that figure in the first few hours of the year.

The point is that NO American is required by a progressive tax system to pay even one penny more than any OTHER American on the same amounts of annual income. Nothing could be more equitable.

Back