100k to 200k =20
200k to 350k= 25%
350k to 800k =30%
800k to 2 mill= 35%
2 mill + =50%

Go

How much should people pay?

Based on your countrys currency etc

I don't mind the idea of a flat tax... but it needs to be a truly, all inclusive flat tax, with everything calculated by income/revenues.

Taxes come in all sorts of forms. So if Income tax is going to be, say, 15% of annual income for everyone, then a speeding ticket needs to be, say 0.5% of annual income for everyone.

And then taxes that are too hard to calculate fairly (sales tax comes to mind) would need to be eliminated altogether. Property taxes might fit in this category, too, depending on how you look at it.

And taxes that represent similar things depending upon the way you earn your living (thinking of, say, capital gains taxes and income taxes and corporate profits) should match; if one is 15%, then all should be 15%.

(I say 15%, but if you're eliminating things like sales taxes and property taxes, it's probably going to be a fair bit higher than that.)

If by "freak out" you mean "laugh hysterically", then sure.

Seriously, the first few times I heard liberals yelling that, I genuinely thought it was a joke. The only people who called others facist in my day were literal hippies who were still pissed about the vietnam war some 20 years after.

You're literally a movie trope. You're the definition of cringe. Rockstar games actually goes out of their way to include your dialogue in GTA games to make them more comedic. How the fuck are you not embarrassed?

This goes double for the people who use more than 3 adjectives in a row when describing their political opposition btw. Try and do that shit in my face you'll get punched out by the fourth syllable, and I can't even fight.
They also include inbred hicks. Thoughts?

If a business owner is taxed at 90% for income over 1 million dollars he will do his damn best to make sure he doesn't make over a million so badly managed government doesn't get their hands on it.

This is pure nonsense. Good luck trying to run a business and shutting it down in the middle of every year. Perfect way to send all your customers into the arms of your competitors. You've fallen for an absurd right-wing talking point. Don't be a sucker.

So far nobody has broken it down.

Like say

0 to 20k = 10%
20k to 60k= 15%
60k to 100k= 17%
100k to 200k =20
200k to 350k= 25%
350k to 800k =30%
800k to 2 mill= 35%
2 mill + =50%

50% tax... Lol disgusting. Easy to tell other people how much money they get to keep when it doesn't affect you.

Taxation is theft and should be as low as humanly possible. As such government should also be incredibly light and small, only performing the most essential of services.

In before "But nobody in the highest bracket ever actually paid that much!!" :mad:

Only the ignorant think progressive taxation is somehow "unfair". They simply don't understand how it functions.

The reality is that both Middle Class Jim and Jeff Bezos pay the exact same rate on the first 50K they make in a year. It's just that that 50K is all Middle Class Jim makes for the entire year. While Jeff reaches that figure in the first few hours of the year.

The point is that NO American is required by a progressive tax system to pay even one penny more than any OTHER American on the same amounts of annual income. Nothing could be more equitable.

A lot of people honestly don't understand this. I've had people tell me, and actually believe it, that they took a promotion or a raise or some overtime work or a side gig and it put them in a higher tax bracket and they took home less money as a result. In my experience it's pretty much impossible to convince them otherwise.

(I do think that some employers miscalculate the amount they withhold, and the result might in some strange circumstances end up as a lower net amount on the paycheck... but again, a lot of people don't understand or believe that these are just preliminary estimates and that if too much is being withheld, you'll get that back at the end of the year when you actually file.)

That said, I live in Canada where the government plays very stupid accounting games with hard cut-offs for some benefits and entitlements. Some crazy, but true, examples:

1. A few years ago the Feds decided it would be a good idea to help low income families with College and University Tuition for their children. Great idea so far, but the genius plan that they came up with was that any child coming from a family with a household income of less that $60,000 would have 100% of their tuition payed by the federal government. Are you waiting for a second part of the plan? Nope. That was it. If your household income was $60,001 you were on your own. (That's not even bringing up the fact that if you're a kid from a low income family, working hard to earn a scholarship became pretty much a fruitless endeavor because everyone else in your income bracket was getting a free ride as well.)

2. If you are a low income earner in Canada ($44,000 or less annual income if you're single, and going up from there depending on marriage and number of dependents), you are eligible for a GST (sales tax) rebate ranging from $80 per year for a single person at the very top ($44,000 annual household income) to $1200 per year for a family with four children at the very bottom (less than $9200 annual household income). The cutoffs for the categories are extremely abrupt. So, for example, if you make $44,001 you get nothing, but if you make $44,000 you get $80; if you make $42,001 you also get $80, but if you make $42,000 you get $180. (So in that sense, and within a $99 margin annually, you do bring home less if you make more.)

3. If you have medical expenses in Canada that are not covered by medicare (most medications taken outside of a hospital are not covered), government will pay any costs over the amount of your income. So if you make $800 per week, and your medicine costs $800 per week you get nothing. If it costs $801 per week you get $1. If it costs $10,000 per week you get $9,200. And if you just quit your job and go on welfare you get the full cost of your medicine, whatever that might be, plus a welfare check that gives you a little bit for food and shelter. (Welfare isn't much, but it's certainly better than working your ass off all week to pay for your medicine only to take $0 home.)

4. If you buy a piece of land, and divide it in two, and sell the second piece, then you don't need to charge/pay sales tax, regardless of size. If you buy a piece of land, and divide it into three or more pieces (again, regardless of size), then you will need to charge/pay sales tax, which is 15% or very near in a lot of provinces. (Let's just forget that you've already spent the money to have the land surveyed and have paid taxes on that service.)

5. Our Unemployment Benefit rules are changing all of the time, but there have been times when taking any side work you could scrounge together while unemployed and looking for steady employment would result in 100% of those earnings be clawed back from your Unemployment Benefits check (other times it is 50%, and other times it's 100% or 50% after a certain amount). So if you were receiving $400 per week in Unemployment Insurance (actually, we call it Employment Insurance now, or EI), and you went out and did an odd job for $150, your EI check (cheque for the Canadians) would be $250 that week. Meaning you got the same for staying home on your ass. But it gets worse, because you're only eligible for a certain number of weeks (location specific), and any week you get any EI, you lose a week of eligibility. Which meant that if you made $399 while on EI, then you would receive a $1 check, and lose a week of EI benefits for that dollar; but if you made $400 that week, you wouldn't receive any EI check, and your claim would be pushed back one week. (So if you work for $399, not only are you working for free, but unless you can convince your neighbour to let you mow his lawn for $1, you are also working your way out of your benefits.)

These are just the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

90% of taxes go to the AI and robots that will replace people.

This is pure nonsense. Good luck trying to run a business and shutting it down in the middle of every year. Perfect way to send all your customers into the arms of your competitors. You've fallen for an absurd right-wing talking point. Don't be a sucker.

I don't see how anything of what you said can be considered as true as any number of CEO's are compensated mostly with stock and less so with income.

50% tax... Lol disgusting. Easy to tell other people how much money they get to keep when it doesn't affect you.

Taxation is theft and should be as low as humanly possible. As such government should also be incredibly light and small, only performing the most essential of services.

I didnt say I want 50%. I just used it as an example.

So far NOBODY has actually listed any numbers. I am of the opinion that if we nationalize major industry taxes can be way less and in a lot of countries that have done that they are. I have no issue with wealth derives from not finite resources which are at the expense of national security and energy or utility policy.

I care less about tax rates and far more about where the money goes.

I would be happy to pay my 50%+ overall annual tax burden if it went to improving the quality of life in my community and province instead of filling the pockets of scam charities in Ottawa.

I care less about tax rates and far more about where the money goes.

I would be happy to pay my 50%+ overall annual tax burden if it went to improving the quality of life in my community and province instead of filling the pockets of scam charities in Ottawa.

Why is that preferable to 50% staying in your pocket and you paying a private business owner/s to perform those services?

So far nobody has broken it down.

Like say

0 to 20k = 10%
20k to 60k= 15%
60k to 100k= 17%
100k to 200k =20
200k to 350k= 25%
350k to 800k =30%
800k to 2 mill= 35%
2 mill + =50%

Sorry I'm not an economist, but if instead of paying a flat tax across the board we wanted to structure it based on those income brackets you mentioned the ideal tax rate would be one that incentivizes people to pay it, rather than incentivizes people to avoid paying it in any number of very much legal ways.

Why don't we start by taking a lesson from the time period when America's middle class was actually thriving and expanding?

tax-trump-wealth-promo-1570228395029-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.png

This seems pretty close to ideal to me.

I favor a progressive tax. At one point, I thought a flat tax or "fair" tax was a good idea until I actually researched it and looked into history. In the 1950s, the top 1% were getting taxed at 90-95%. On paper, that sounds extreme but they were still rich and we had a thriving working and middle class. Things were more balanced economically. Now that we've lowered the tax rate all the way down to 37%, we have no more working class and a barely functioning middle class. The wealthy own and control everything.

Part of a progressive tax would have to be preventing job loss overseas because of taxes. If you raise taxes, many businesses will just outsource or move their business overseas to avoid paying their fair share of taxes. That's when you punish outsources and put in tariffs and trade agreements.

I've mentioned it numerous times in posts like that but one of Bernie's proposals (which got nowhere shockingly) is if you outsource a job, you get fined $1 for each dollar you would have saved by hiring locally and you lose all tax breaks and grants. If you import goods to the US, you either have to take an equal amount of goods from us, or you pay a heft import fee.

Imagine if all of these American companies hired locally AND everyone paid their fair share of taxes. Prices might go up (this is where you can put in other laws to prevent overflation) but everyone would be working, we'd actually have the money to do UBI, health care, education, etc. Yes, billionaires wouldn't have the insane wealth that they once did but we'd have balance again which is far from the case now.

Why is that preferable to 50% staying in your pocket and you paying a private business owner/s to perform those services?
Because what you are proposing isn't feasible.
Say your community needs a new hospital, but every young person in town says "fuck it, I'm healthy, I'm not putting any money towards that". Or you want the street in front of your house graded in the winter, but half your neighbours say, "I have a pick up, I'm not spending my money on that."
Successful society will always need a level of government and taxation other wise every individuals own self interest will prevent anything from being done. But when we become so jaded by bloated, wasteful, corrupt governments we end up throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I didnt say I want 50%. I just used it as an example.

So far NOBODY has actually listed any numbers. I am of the opinion that if we nationalize major industry taxes can be way less and in a lot of countries that have done that they are. I have no issue with wealth derives from not finite resources which are at the expense of national security and energy or utility policy.

I think the hard part is determining the role and size of government, not the tax rate.

Taxation is theft.

Seriously, if I buy a house and pay 30 fucking years for a mortgage, why in the Goddamn Fuck should I owe any property tax to the government???

Most taxation doesnt bother me but property tax on residence does cuz it means you never truly own anything. I think local taxes should be raised and everyone should get 1 residence exception however property taxes should apply past the 1 exception rule.

Back