Your Favorite Westerns

I can't believe how many people like the True Grit remake. I thought it was complete shit. I barely sat through it.

Blazing Saddles

Since op said "western qualities," the answer is Django Unchained , which takes place mostly in Dixie.

My fav western, however, is

My Darling Clementine

my-darling-clementine.jpg

Come at me :cool:

And for fun: Blazing Saddles and White Comanche - which, for those who don't know, stars William Shatner playing mixed race twins. It's hilariously bad.

Once Upon A Time In The West is my favorite.

It has the quintessential look, characters, pace, mood, and soundtrack for a Western.

It just "feels" better than other westerns

Last edited:
Pretty much all my favorites have been named, except There Will Be Blood... Which has western qualities.

Paint Your Wagon

If you want a good fucking time, Paint Your Wagon drinking game is the god damn best!
Drink for these things and your toast after about an hour

-Everytime someone says Partner/Pardner
-The word GOLD is said/sung what have you
-any sexual innuendo
-everytime Lee Marvin drinks

The Good the Bad and the Ugly. I was flipping channels the other day and it was on AMC... so bad ass. I'd forgotten how rad it was. Soundtrack is amazing also.

Actually that whole trilogy, Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More also. Eastwood was the man.

Once Upon a Time in the West was good too.

In all serious though, I haven't seen a lot of the old westerns but some of my favorites include

3:10 to Yuma remake
Silverado
Dances with Wolves
Maverick's awesome

and LOL to the guy who said Sukiyaki Western Django, that movie is such a hilarious trainwreck of a movie. SOOOO AWKWARD

Once Upon a Time in the West will always be the GOAT western.

In recent years i'd have to say Rango holds up better than most live action films.

Most will have been named so I always like to bring up this one.

Katie-Elder.png

FYI, True Grit fans: I read the novel last week and it was really good. Very similar to the movie; practically a screenplay. The Coens were extremely faithful. They especially nailed the narration--you know, that weird, matter-of-fact delivery of Mattie Ross'.

Tombstone

The Searchers

Unforgiven

A Fistful of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Tombstone. Especially due to Val Kilmer's role as Doc Holliday. One of my favorite movie characters of all-time.

FYI, True Grit fans: I read the novel last week and it was really good. Very similar to the movie; practically a screenplay. The Coens were extremely faithful. They especially nailed the narration--you know, that weird, matter-of-fact delivery of Mattie Ross'.

So many great performances in that film, but Barry Pepper is takes it....his is a insanely gifted actor.

If Dances With Wolves qualify, put that in my list as well.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Gunfighter
Unforgiven
The Searchers
Cowboys
The Shootist
Quigly Down Under
The Big Country
Lonesome Dove
Geronimo
Winchester 73
Shane
Chisolm

Sweet. Thought I was the only one.

superhighfive.gif

"The Proposition" and "Deadman" are two of my favorites but both are also not your typical western.

Also good choices, both awesome movies
Golden Age of Depp

Has anyone seen The 3 burials of Marquez Estrada?
A "modern western", like No Country... . Thoughts?

Back