• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your favorite movie of 1993

Pick your favorite movie of 1993!

• Groundhog Day

• The Firm

• Mrs. Doubtfire

• The Nightmare Before Christmas

• Falling Down

• The Fugitive

• Schindler's List

• What's Eating Gilbert Grape

• Robin Hood: Men in Tights

• Jurassic Park

• Dazed and Confused

• Cliffhanger

• Tombstone

• Ninja Scroll

• Demolition Man

• True Romance

• In the Line of Fire

• Grumpy Old Men

• Philadelphia

• Hard Target

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ah ha, The Firm finally picks up a vote thanks to @The Big Sloppy.

Out of curiosity, what is it you like so much about the film that you'd vote for it over Jurassic Park, Tombstone and some of the other heavy hitters on the list?

Ah ha, The Firm finally picks up a vote thanks to @The Big Sloppy.

Out of curiosity, what is it you like so much about the film that you'd vote for it over Jurassic Park, Tombstone and some of the other heavy hitters on the list?

I find it to be extremely rewatchable. I've probably watched it more than twenty times. Much more if you count all the bits and pieces i've seen. It's one of about 30 movies i put on to fall asleep to, most all of which would be in my top 50 favorite movies.

I tend to like courtroom/law centered movies. I enjoy the way it unfolds and the manner in which he catches them in the end.

I think the main reason why i like it so much is the cast. Harris, Strathairn, Busey (before he went insane), Brimley, Holbrook, Hackman....I find them all to be quite pleasant to watch. In this movie, or any other.

I don't need high art in my movies, just entertainment. I get a kick out of this one...........
Maybe........... :)
d94c24ce131f63f72d0af1ec78559205.jpg

Jurassic Park on the other hand, not a big fan. Thought it was a run of the mill "blockbuster". Watched it once. Fantastic special FX, and nothing more. Never need to see it again.

Tombstone: Saw it in the theaters and liked it a lot, but for some reason I've never seen it a second time.......and I don't know why.

Mrs. Doubtfire, The Fugitive, In The Line of Fire, Falling Down, Bobby Fischer and The Sandlot are all movies that I really like...................just not as much as The Firm I guess. I never really thought about it until I saw this poll. Based on all the movies listed, The Firm is the only one I would put as number 1.

Groundhog Day, easily.

Tombstone was great, but every single scene with Kurt Russell and that stupid bitch is just awful.

I find it to be extremely rewatchable. I've probably watched it more than twenty times. Much more if you count all the bits and pieces i've seen. It's one of about 30 movies i put on to fall asleep to, most all of which would be in my top 50 favorite movies.

I tend to like courtroom/law centered movies. I enjoy the way it unfolds and the manner in which he catches them in the end.

I think the main reason why i like it so much is the cast. Harris, Strathairn, Busey (before he went insane), Brimley, Holbrook, Hackman....I find them all to be quite pleasant to watch. In this movie, or any other.

I don't need high art in my movies, just entertainment. I get a kick out of this one...........
Maybe........... :)
d94c24ce131f63f72d0af1ec78559205.jpg

Jurassic Park on the other hand, not a big fan. Thought it was a run of the mill "blockbuster". Watched it once. Fantastic special FX, and nothing more. Never need to see it again.

Tombstone: Saw it in the theaters and liked it a lot, but for some reason I've never seen it a second time.......and I don't know why.

Mrs. Doubtfire, The Fugitive, In The Line of Fire, Falling Down, Bobby Fischer and The Sandlot are all movies that I really like...................just not as much as The Firm I guess. I never really thought about it until I saw this poll. Based on all the movies listed, The Firm is the only one I would put as number 1.

Indeed. I remember how big of a film The Firm was when it was released. It was one of the highest grossing films of the year and launched that huge wave of John Grisham adaptations that came after it.

It was shot largely in Memphis and I grew up there so it's cool to see the local sights in the film.

I've heard the book is also really good. I might give it a go at some point.

BTW @The Big Sloppy, would you believe that Grisham was only 34 when A Time to Kill was published and by 38 he not only had one of the best selling novels of all time in The Firm but the movie was out as well?

That's a lot of success, especially for someone so young.

BTW @The Big Sloppy, would you believe that Grisham was only 34 when A Time to Kill was published and by 38 he not only had one of the best selling novels of all time in The Firm but the movie was out as well?

That's a lot of success, especially for someone so young.

I was always under the impression that he was an old man that had quit the law.................not a young guy that was actively practicing and writing at the same time.

I was always under the impression that he was an old man that had quit the law.................not a young guy that was actively practicing and writing at the same time.

I actually thought the same. The kinds of stories he writes just SEEM like the kinds of stories someone in their late 40s, at the youngest, might write. Not some kid who hasn't even reached middle age.

Here you go. In '84 he would've been 29.

Grisham said the big case came in 1984, but it was not his case. As he was hanging around the court, he overheard a 12-year-old girl telling the jury what had happened to her. Her story intrigued Grisham, and he began watching the trial. He saw how the members of the jury cried as she told them about having been raped and beaten. It was then, Grisham later wrote in The New York Times, that a story was born. Musing over "what would have happened if the girl's father had murdered her assailants", Grisham took three years to complete his first book, A Time to Kill.

Finding a publisher was not easy. The book was rejected by 28 publishers before Wynwood Press, an unknown publisher, agreed to give it a modest 5,000-copy printing. It was published in June 1989. The day after Grisham completed A Time to Kill, he began work on his second novel, The Firm, the story of an ambitious young attorney "lured to an apparently perfect law firm that was not what it appeared." The Firm remained on The New York Times' bestseller list for 47 weeks, and became the bestselling novel of 1991.

From that list: True Romance

Jurassic Park is probably the movie I have seen the most out of all movies. I basically had the VHS on constant repeat back when I was a kid, so I can't help but give it a shoutout even though I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much today.

My favorite movie from 1993: Farewell my Concubine - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106332/

Really great and intense movie that revolves around the Cultural revolution under Mao.

I actually thought the same. The kinds of stories he writes just SEEM like the kinds of stories someone in their late 40s, at the youngest, might write. Not some kid who hasn't even reached middle age.

Here you go. In '84 he would've been 29.
Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Again...a lot of good movies here.

I voted Tombstone. Every time it's on Tv, I put it on. Even when it's on CMT which I don't get I try and put it on.

The Fugitive, great movie. Groundhog Day, laughs and laughs from Bill Murray gotta love him. Jurassic Park, broke rules in the CG department. And on and on with almost but a couple for me.

Lottta Good ones

Jurassic Park is cinematic perfection

117093-welcome-to-jurassic-park-gif-I-Fr3W.gif

I distinctly remember being in the movie theater to see this for the first time. All shows sold out. People lined up all around the theater. So much excitement.

I'll never forget that moment in the GIF. When they showed the gigantic brontosaurus, the entire theater GASPED with amazement. How often does that happen?

That movie is truly a magnificent achievement in cinematic history.

I distinctly remember being in the movie theater to see this for the first time. All shows sold out. People lined up all around the theater. So much excitement.

I'll never forget that moment in the GIF. When they showed the gigantic brontosaurus, the entire theater GASPED with amazement. How often does that happen?

That movie is truly a magnificent achievement in cinematic history.
Even after 100 viewings it still has such a magic to it. Spielberg is the best at having these huge budget movies but having the character development and heart to connect with you at the same time.

Even after 100 viewings it still has such a magic to it. Spielberg is the best at having these huge budget movies but having the character development and heart to connect with you at the same time.

100% agreed!

Jurassic Park is one of my all time favorites. So it's an easy win here. But some solid competition for second place.

Honorable mention to The Sandlot.

Out of that list I'm torn between Philadelphia and Schindler's List.

Those are two of my all time favorite movies, in fact.

o-PHILADELPHIA-ANNIVERSARY-facebook.jpg

or

a8f266cd4e6eeea9ffeb09afb3e0eb4a.jpg

Too close to call...

UFC581ff.png

1993! Let's go!

Others:

Last Action Hero
Carlito's Way
The Sandlot
Indecent Proposal
Menace II Society
In the Name of the Father
Searching for Bobby Fischer
Alive
Benny & Joon
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Cool Runnings
Rudy
The Pelican Brief
Sleepless in Seattle
Fire in the Sky
Wayne's World 2
Six Degrees of Separation
Point of No Return

@Agent Mulder's Hair

Not an easy choice but...

giphy.gif

Voted Cliffhanger before noticing The Fugitive.
I was wrong.

Back