Your Favorite grappling mat?

MommysTACOcream

White Belt
Reaction score
I really want to get some good quality mats, and I need some help. I will be using this mat on some hard tile, so it need to be some what soft. What's your favorite mats to grapple on? I'm thinking about just getting a wrestling mat that's 1.25" thick, what's your opinion?

Yeah wrestling mats are definitely very nice. I'd go with that over anything.

I own Resilite mats, the same ones most schools use for their wrestling team. I bought a set for my house and have been using them for years.

Guys that come and train with me and take lessons really like them, and comment on how much better they are than the typical Swain or other mats you see at martial arts schools (they are hard, and have a grainy textured surface that causes mat burns). The Resilites are soft but tough, don't cause burns, are easy to fully clean, and can be rolled up.

You can go to their website and see what they have in stock for home use mats. Resilite - Home Use Mats

They are the only mats I would recommend, and their prices are fair. I've had no regrets with them.

P.S. If you are ever in my area, you are welcome to get in touch and come and see them at my place.

wrestling mats are the best, very few bjj schools use them though as they are usually significantly more expensive

wrestling mats, lucky for us my school has them and is very nice..

Actually I prefer judo mats (tatami) if you're going barefoot, too easy to twist toes on wrestling mats. Never had problems with mat burns (well, not after the first year anyway, and that was too many moons ago). If you're wearing shoes though hard to beat wrestling mats.

What are Swain mats?

Actually I prefer judo mats (tatami) if you're going barefoot, too easy to twist toes on wrestling mats. Never had problems with mat burns (well, not after the first year anyway, and that was too many moons ago). If you're wearing shoes though hard to beat wrestling mats.

What are Swain mats?

Agreed. I don't like the sinking in/sticky feeling you get with wrestling mats.

Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful. Anyone have anything bad to say about dollamur wrestling mats?

What are Swain mats?

I agree that the judo style mats are superior for barefoot training. I have broken and twisted a lot of toes from training on the softer wrestling mats.

I also think it's slightly more realistic to have the firmer surface of judo mats if that is at all a concern to you. Since they have caused me less injuries when training barefoot and are more realistic, I prefer them over wrestling mats.

IMO Tatami is the way to go, but it's expensive as hell. To cover up a whole gym, you're going to need to sell your car or your kidney.

Since i spent years training outdoors and even on concrete /wooden floors, i even love the puzzle mats.

We use zebra mats here and they are bomb. They are expensive though like 150-200 per mat.

Dollamur makes first-class wrestling mats. I like wrestling mats because: (a) I'm a former wrestler and used to them, (b) people will do takedowns on them instead of saying "this mat is too hard to do takedowns on", and (c) they're better for my game because you can "dig in" on them.

Our school went from soft boxing-ring/MMA cage mats to a harder surface, and it changes the way you roll. I found passing easier (b/c the mats were faster), but I got swept more (b/c I couldn't get as much grip with my feet).

What we need is a sticky with listings from all mat retailers.

Yeah a sticky with all the retailers and maybe a poll with it so everyone know whats the most popular. That would be great.

We use zebra mats here and they are bomb. They are expensive though like 150-200 per mat.

I don't mind Zebra's, either. The main gym I go to has them. I never get mat burn except shooting takedowns, but I get those on any surface. People complain about them some, for some reason. But I definitely don't like wrestling mats for barefoot training.

my favorite are tatami. My plan is to have my basement consist of tatami when im older. I could sleep on this mats!

I use swain flex roll for grappling at the house.

Zebra mats or Swain mats IMO. Both are high quality and expensive tatami mats. Goes for around 120 dollars per mat for a 3'3" x 6'6" mat. Cost me around $1000 to put together a 13' x 13' square of Zebra mats in my garage (8 mats)..

Back