Your experience of the Police.

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I'm interested in what Sherdoggers' impression of them is. I'm really interested in Anglo countries but people from all around the world are going to answer. I am recounting experiences from Canada, the UK and the USA. I'm a middle class middle of the road white male with no criminal record. The police have always been professional and not rude with me. However they usually take a long time to come, are of low intelligence and have never solved a crime that I have been the victim of. Theft, theft from outbuildings, bicycle and car theft, burglary, stolen and defrauded debit card, not one. This applies to all 3 countries although I will say that the UK police were a lot more pleasant to deal with.

How about you Sherdoggers? I'm not talking about nationally or policy direction - I'm talking about your personal experience.

costumed-re-enactor-1940s-british-policeman-in-uniform-at-pickering-BT3919.jpg

Always treated them professionally and courteously and got same in return.

However, not the cleverest group. Had to explain to them why the paperwork I found outside our business which was ram raided was important. The responding police ignored me.

When the detectives called for follow up I again explained it and they came straight out to get the paperwork as they realised it's importance . The paperwork tied the vehicle and the guys they arrested to our ram raid as well, and further charges.

I have no bad experiences with the popo, thus far. Only 1 time do I think I've ever been unjustly stopped (as he never even gave me a reason) but I certainly looked suspicious. All other times, I deserved it.

I have no bad experiences with the popo, thus far. Only 1 time do I think I've ever been unjustly stopped (as he never even gave me a reason) but I certainly looked suspicious. All other times, I deserved it.

When I was young I used to get stopped driving from time to time, especially at night. Cops were just lurking around bored hoping to catch someone doing something. I just told them my name and all that and off I went.

Personally? i cant complain much outside of transit officers trying to fulfill their quota i havent had any bad experiences with the police.

I've not had any problems with police.

I don't break any laws so I haven't had any negative experiences with them.

Dont break laws and still have very few positive experiences with them.

I wont ever call them either (bad experiences with people calling them to help us like them arriving 20 minutes late during a home invasion).

Hmmm

One time I needed to pump my car tire and there was a cop in his car hanging out at the air pump doing nothing and I went up to him like

"Ummmm .... "

And he was like "I'm in your way aren't I, I'll move"

..... that was cool

Another time I was walking to work as I always did and a cop car cut me off in a driveway ahead of me asking if I was some guy and I explained I was some other guy and he left me alone.

So weird you ask this because I just had a experience that has changed my perspective.

We went to my old high school to run on the track this Saturday on the evening. When walking by the back doors I noticed the door was left open.

I went inside to see if the door should be left open. This took at most 2 or 3 minutes. I didn’t see anyone and walked out the same door and closed and locked it behind me.

We went to the track...ran...40 minutes later police show up. No problem with that. Right off the bat he’s telling me I committed “class b trespassing” and if I would’ve been in the school I would be “in cuffs”.

No shit. Of course I would’ve been going to jail. Which is the entire point... I wasnt in the school.

Anyway dood was a massive dick and I’m not going to make this any longer but it turns out he left the door open because of a previous “security incident” that had happened that day.

The only negative experience I had with a cop is this overzealous "special police" dude at my college. He saw grass from my cleats on my car floor and said it was weed lol then made me do 20 pushups and let me go.

My experience is that New Hampshire staties will give you a ticket for just a couple miles over the limit if it’s near the end of the month and they have a quota to fill. Learned this when I was 20 and have almost entirely stopped speeding ever since. I really haven’t had any problems with the police since learning that lesson.

I was harassed by the cops when I was a teenager during the whole fast and furious phase. Realized they didn't really care about the plight of younger folks, whether or not they were law abiding and decent folks.

Sheeeeeeeiiiiitttt

If you’ve never had a cop point their weapon at you, well, you dindu nuffin.

I'm cautious around them, try to avoid calling them unless absolutely nessecary but aside from Hull Quebec/Montreal cops, the ones I've met have been mostly professional.

I even had guns pulled on me once by them once when I was living in Vancouver because they thought I was someone else (I still don't understand how a tall dark mocha colored cat like me can be mistaken for a black-ass kenyan manlet, but whatever) but at least afterwards they acknowledged their fuckup.

But every male member of my family has been prepped on the best ways to talk to and interface with them, so it helps I guess.

My biggest fear is if one my clients has an episode, or some of the kids at the group home gets a bit too ill and the cops have to be called, and there's a bad escalation because they aren't trained to deal with the issues some of these kids are dealing with. (Although on the two occasions it happened with my collegues they brought a mental health professional with them, so it's heartening to know there is an awareness towards that end.)

It is bit annoying how some people reflexively worship the uniform without assesing the person inside it, and how the police unions seem to lose all sense of integrity and self-control when one of their own is a provable fuckboi, but I suppose a likkle bit of overt reverence is good thing , maybe even nessecary for them to effectively fulfill their role in society. They are, for better ourt for worse, our "gunslingers".

In Canada there is a minor debate over how cops are elevated over the citizentry in terms of how they are valued. There was a mass shooting in Fredericton that claimed the lives of two cops and two civillians. There were some, including the relatives of one of the victims, who claimed that there was a disproportionate amaount of sympathy to the murdered police officers.

It's a touchy subject, but I think a murdered cop should be big deal.

Last edited:
Havent had to deal with them in over 10 years but when I did there was no problems. I was polite and respectful... plus I'm white

I've had several run in with the police over the years. The only time I was ever roughed up by one was when I was a teenager. They showed up to a party and I took off running, because I didn't want to get a underage drinking ticket. The cop caught up to me and tackled me as I turned into a back yard that had a fence to tall for me to climb. He didn't beat my ass but he through me down and cuffed me and smushed my head into the ground a little bit.

My experience with cops have been overall alright though. All you have to do is be respectful and follow their directions and you shouldn't have any problems. Even if you're being questioned about something that you have to lie about, just keep your story straight and cooperate and things should be just fine.

I don't think I've spoken to a cop in an official capacity since i was a teenager.

Back