Your Ego and Boxing..

As far as conquering goes. You ever have that bad dream where you're fighting someone, and you're throwing your hardest punches at their face but it has no effect on them, and you wake up feeling weak and unsure? Well the aftermath of sparring or training can sometimes bring about the same feelings of insecurity in your abilities. If something doesnt go your way, all of a sudden you're inadequate. And like you said, its those times that you really have to conquer your own mind. Its only true if you think it is.

I dreamed a few times in the last months that I was fighting someone and my hands just wouldn't do what I wanted. I was slow and weak. It's crazy. I'd like to know what it means. When I do sparring, I mostly do ok. My hands are fast and accurate. usually everything is ok, but that dream was really strange. I t seems like there is no basis for it in reality.I'm neither the best nor the worst...

Did you read in my log:

"Yeah we'll go easy, we'll just work defense."

In high-level Boxing Gyms, I'm realizing that means "Soon as the bell rings I'm gonna try and kill you."

Hahaha I love it. I've heard this one a few times too.

Maybe because I am new to sparring I do not yet understand the fascination with how i look to others during a round.

But I was on the other side of this equation. Just started sparring. Been training a few months. Finally sparred with a guy my size. He is preparing for an MMA fight, been training for years. Started off easy, then we kind of got in to it. I nailed him quite a few times, rocked him once.

Afterwards we talked about it, touched gloves, went to new partners. Big F'n deal. The guy would destroy me in a real match. We both know it. Everyone in the gym knows it. I especially know it. I don't think people really care so much. The guy might have had a shitty day at work or trained harder than I had all week.

Some of us noob's still got mad respect for you guys with actual game, even when we fuck you up occaisionally. I guess ego is necessary, but man I thought part of training was to push your limits. Everytime I push my limits I am humbled at my limitations.

Don't get too down about it bro.

haha, yeah dude. I'd love to think this way, but this guys been in there for weeks, and ive been in there for close to a year. You see my dilemma? Its like having to wrestle a girl in a high school wrestling tournament. You beat her, big whoop no big deal, You beat a girl. You get pinned or lose, All of a sudden you're the new laughingstock of the team. Its a lose lose.

So yeah, I could come back fired up and whoop the guy ass. But is that the way to go? Or should i let it go and accept the fact that i got rocked by someone new and that i fucked up on my part. . I didnt even expect myself to do so shitty. But such is fighting, it always manages to kick you in the ass.

So im swallowing my one years worth of pride against his couple weeks. Its bitter yeah, but hey..what can you do? This is the equivalent of losing to a very manly girl in wrestling for me. Maybe some people will look and say hey, he got rocked by that complete noob. But my feelings can manage.

you don't have to decapitate the guy next time but there's no problem sending him home the way you felt the other day after your first sparring session.

I can't imagine being in Liu's shoes, where "fresh meat" can equal former GG champs and future/current professionals (godamn, wouldn't that be a bitch!! :D! )

I love going down to the PAL and sparring beginners. Most (90%) of the time it's gung-ho policemen, so you can usually figure out what they are bringing to the table. So the whole "don't kill um in there" doesn't mean shit to me when the guys swinging for the fences.

If i had one word to sum up my game plan for these sessions it's "frustration". Make him frustrated, or it's going to be you. Most fighters have a comfort zone, even from the beginning, a rhythm they fight in if you will, target that rhythm, disrupt, disrupt, disrupt.

Also, KK already touched on it, but I'm all about roughing um up, actually, I'd full blown call it fighting dirty as fuck. Hell, i look at it as practice in rule bending.:icon_twis

When they swarm, Lead with your head, let the 4 in your 3-4 hit their thigh, shove their head as far down as you can when they barrel into your chest. Spin um- kindey shot, shoulder um , 3-4 clinch, rinse and repeat. At some point they look at their trainer with that "WTF?!? is someone gunna call him on this shit?!" they quickly realize their trainer's sporting a shit eating grin and ain't gunna do shit about it.

Another great thing about roughing them up is that you really can't look that bad doing it. I've taken some pretty good beatings from new guys, but because it looked like i am fucking around, nobody looks down on me because of it.

If i had one word to sum up my game plan for these sessions it's "frustration". Make him frustrated, or it's going to be you. Most fighters have a comfort zone, even from the beginning, a rhythm they fight in if you will, target that rhythm, disrupt, disrupt, disrupt.

100% agree good call GJ. i think its kinda what the beginner did to rabbit.

100% agree good call GJ. i think its kinda what the beginner did to rabbit.

Yeah the guy went mach 5 on my ass right from the start, Like i literally called his mom a fat pig right before the bell rang LOL. He was so angry. While i came in there like i just woke up. HAH. Yeah, in the beginning he did overwhelm me with his spastic rhythm. And i played into it and started slugging with him, instead of boxing and frustrating him and setting my own pace like glassjaw said. I KNOW i coulda done it too. Quite easily i coulda have taken his wild swings on my gloves but instead i fought like a hurt fighter on old instincts.

and i hear ya glassjaw. I need to practice some more rough and tumble techniques. Maybe a good ol cuban eye poke.

I dreamed a few times in the last months that I was fighting someone and my hands just wouldn't do what I wanted. I was slow and weak. It's crazy. I'd like to know what it means. When I do sparring, I mostly do ok. My hands are fast and accurate. usually everything is ok, but that dream was really strange. I t seems like there is no basis for it in reality.I'm neither the best nor the worst...

the dream probablly doesnt necessarily translate into your fighting. It could just mean you have insecurities about other things in life that you need to deal with..Or it could very well be that you're insecure about your ability to defend yourself. Thats up to you to find out.

Best thread in the standup for a long while...

sigh..the stand up forum of late makes baby jesus sad..Might as well go learn how to fight in the OT. LOL -_-'

I think the beauty of fighting lies not in the deafeat of your enemies but in the personal insights you gain from the experience. Having an opponent is like a physical manifestation of your own insecurities and in the end, that's what we really conquor.

This is such a great quote. Excellent insight, I read it and just "Fuck yeah, man. That's what it is all about."

This is an excellent thread with a lot of insight on the mental aspect of the game which gets very little coverage in the forum.

Frustration is probably the biggest enemy to a boxer, as stated above. For my last fight, I trained to fight a countering, boxing fight. Turns out, my fight was with a guy who was a slick mover who I just couldn't catch - and I was mentally unprepared to adjust. By the time I started to figure it out, three rounds were over and I was on the short end of the decision.

I know I probably could've beaten the guy if I'd not gotten frustrated right off the bat. As a matter of fact, I'm off to the gym to spar as the aggressor tonight - I don't intend to get caught mentally off-guard again.

Rabbit touched on this a bit but the paralysis in dreams is unrelated to your psyche. While you sleep you're body chemically paralyzes itself, thus when you're dreaming and you need to perform any physical action (running, usually fighting, etc) you still feel that paralysis.

But on a more relevant note, Rabbit you ever thought about seeing a sports psychologist? I mean idk how much money you want to throw into your training and i guarantee it won't be cheap but it's an option.

PS if you guys want a source on the dream thing I find it in my psych book i'm just too lazy right now

when i kickboxed in the states, every saturday was sparring day and there was this frenchman who would go 100% in class during the week, often injuring his partner or completely ignoring the instructor's lesson

my instructor knew this so asked me to 'introduce' him to sparring for his first time in the ring.

i knew exactly what he was going to do, i.e bull rush me so i was more than prepared.

sure enough, the bell sounds and he comes right at me and i simply teep him with my lead leg, sending him sprawling to the canvas. he gets up, tries the same tactic, looking for my leg again, but this time i connected with a stiff jab instead, also resulting in a canvass kissing.

that was the last time he sparred.

the ego is a natural part of our personality.
different people have different levels of ego,you can't fight nature just try and tone it down or don't let it control you.
if you no what the hell i'm talking about.

This is a natural thing. Everyone has an ego to some extent. I admire the humble fighters who are modest about their abilities despite being pretty good. I guess they know their is someone out there better than them. I like to try and keep my ego in check but I still have one. I remember one time I was working with this guy who I got on well with. I was a year or two more experienced and he'd been doing it for about 6 months. He started getting a bit big-headed over time but I'd still try and keep the sessions to his level. But sometimes I'd go too easy and he'd connect more than he should. In a way I think I wasn't doing him any favours because he started to get a bit cocky and I could tell that he thought he was able to handle me. I kept my feelings in check and just carried on as normal until one day I heard him telling another guy that I was shit lol.

Well I'll admit I lost patience with him then and the next time we sparred I let him see who was better. I didn't batter him but went fairly heavy. He got the message after that and stopped going for quite a while. Maybe I should have let him know earlier on but I thought it was a given that I was better and he knew I was going easy on him. He obviously thought otherwise and his ego couldn't handle it.

I think everyone gets that at somestage - the important thing is to not let it turn into a vendetta against that guy and that the two of you don't deteriorate into arch-nemesises :icon_lol:

Personally, when I get my ass handed to me I spend the rest of the week analysing every little detail and everything I did wrong and could have done better at, so next week I know exactly what's coming and exactly what to do.

when i kickboxed in the states, every saturday was sparring day and there was this frenchman who would go 100% in class during the week, often injuring his partner or completely ignoring the instructor's lesson

my instructor knew this so asked me to 'introduce' him to sparring for his first time in the ring.

i knew exactly what he was going to do, i.e bull rush me so i was more than prepared.

sure enough, the bell sounds and he comes right at me and i simply teep him with my lead leg, sending him sprawling to the canvas. he gets up, tries the same tactic, looking for my leg again, but this time i connected with a stiff jab instead, also resulting in a canvass kissing.

that was the last time he sparred.

I hate people like that. Thank you for putting him in his place.

When you spar with people your not familiar with, be ready for anything.

When you spar with people your not familiar with, be ready for anything.

Back