Your Ego and Boxing..

fightingrabbit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i learned a couple lessons the hard way today.

Today at the gym. I get put with this one guy to spar. His trainer tells me hes real new, so dont try and kill him. I agree of course being the nice guy that i am. When i work with new guys, im relatively laid back being pretty fresh myself. Maybe a year in.

So im in the ring, i hear BOX, and i walk out there with a half assed guard, and the guy full on bullrushes me with a ONE-TWO! Lol and hell if i didnt see it comin. The next thing i know im rocked with this feeling of deja vu, and im like "man..again..a new guy is maliciously beating the shit out of me and im covering up" Needless to say it wasnt much of a boxing match. It got my blood boiling and it degenerated into a bar brawl until the guy got tired.

So now im outta ring and thats when it hits me. This guy has been training like a couple weeks and i've been in there a couple months. Everyone watching was expecting me to school the guy. But instead hes wildly swinging and connecting. People are telling me "man what were you doing in there?!" Comments of that sort. So now im guessing my ego should be absolutely shattered. But its not. I DO admit though, it WAS kind of shaken up. And im someone who really believes that there is no room for ego in this sport (although it really persistently likes to work its way in).

But now as much as i'd like to, Im not going to try and make excuses for myself. When i first went in, Yeah i can say he was a first timer, so i let my guard down, which is why i got rocked by the first couple punches. But the rest of the fight was fair game and i got caught with punches that i shouldnt have. If you were an onlooker watching this take place,What would you have thought? Would i have seemed like a shitty boxer to you?

I find its real hard to come out of situations/bad performances like this and try to take away a lesson from it, but its what i try to do everytime. Regardless if i just got schooled by a veteran or a complete fish out of water (as embarassing as it is) I try not to lose face and just tell myself, "hey shit happens" and i brush it off, i'll live to train and spar another day. In the back of my mind though, even now im thinking, "Next time, his fuckin ass is grass"..As much as i fight it..heh..the ego never leaves..I'd say sadly, its something that comes with the territory. When you've got an ego, you've got something to prove, and when you got something to prove, you work harder to prove it. But it can really take someone over and turn them into total douchebags.

So yeah theres my tale for the week. What are your guys thoughts or experiences when it comes to your ego and the sport you love.

BTW This is why Fedor is my role model in the fighting world. To me he is somewhat of a great hope. Proof that you can become the best and still remain humble with a nonexistant ego, no matter how much people egg you on. *ahem* certain retarded sherdoggers *ahem*

i believe that an ego is necessary, since this is not a team sport, just like I have a huge ego but i take the time to put the work in to back it up

I have a bit of an ego despite being green. While I strive to maintain a humble demeanor I think a little ego is essential in combat sports to act as a competitive drive.

So i learned a couple lessons the hard way today.

Today at the gym. I get put with this one guy to spar. His trainer tells me hes real new, so dont try and kill him. I agree of course being the nice guy that i am. When i work with new guys, im relatively laid back being pretty fresh myself. Maybe a year in.

So im in the ring, i hear BOX, and i walk out there with a half assed guard, and the guy full on bullrushes me with a ONE-TWO! Lol and hell if i didnt see it comin. The next thing i know im rocked with this feeling of deja vu, and im like "man..again..a new guy is maliciously beating the shit out of me and im covering up" Needless to say it wasnt much of a boxing match. It got my blood boiling and it degenerated into a bar brawl until the guy got tired.

So now im outta ring and thats when it hits me. This guy has been training like a couple weeks and i've been in there a couple months. Everyone watching was expecting me to school the guy. But instead hes wildly swinging and connecting. People are telling me "man what were you doing in there?!" Comments of that sort. So now im guessing my ego should be absolutely shattered. But its not. I DO admit though, it WAS kind of shaken up. And im someone who really believes that there is no room for ego in this sport (although it really persistently likes to work its way in).

But now as much as i'd like to, Im not going to try and make excuses for myself. When i first went in, Yeah i can say he was a first timer, so i let my guard down, which is why i got rocked by the first couple punches. But the rest of the fight was fair game and i got caught with punches that i shouldnt have. If you were an onlooker watching this take place,What would you have thought? Would i have seemed like a shitty boxer to you?

I find its real hard to come out of situations/bad performances like this and try to take away a lesson from it, but its what i try to do everytime. Regardless if i just got schooled by a veteran or a complete fish out of water (as embarassing as it is) I try not to lose face and just tell myself, "hey shit happens" and i brush it off, i'll live to train and spar another day. In the back of my mind though, even now im thinking, "Next time, his fuckin ass is grass"..As much as i fight it..heh..the ego never leaves..I'd say sadly, its something that comes with the territory. When you've got an ego, you've got something to prove, and when you got something to prove, you work harder to prove it. But it can really take someone over and turn them into total douchebags.

So yeah theres my tale for the week. What are your guys thoughts or experiences when it comes to your ego and the sport you love.

BTW This is why Fedor is my role model in the fighting world. To me he is somewhat of a great hope. Proof that you can become the best and still remain humble with a nonexistant ego, no matter how much people egg you on. *ahem* certain retarded sherdoggers *ahem*

Yes he was the better fighter that night but you have the better tools to smash him. Its when you get up and do what you beleive. If your heart tells you you could smash him you can do it. Do what it takes even if its moving to a different style of yours or anything. :D

you'll get another crack at that guy. take him to grammar school when you see him next time.

Did you read in my log:

"Yeah we'll go easy, we'll just work defense."

In high-level Boxing Gyms, I'm realizing that means "Soon as the bell rings I'm gonna try and kill you."

i believe that an ego is necessary, since this is not a team sport, just like I have a huge ego but i take the time to put the work in to back it up

I catch your drift. But my point about the whole thing is, You can train years and years, put in blood, sweat and tears. Fight high caliber opponents and maybe even beat some. But when it comes to fighting (its a fickle thing), Someone fresh and new is inevitably going to take you for a run, Rock you (in my case) or maybe even knock you out with a lucky punch.

Logic and your mind will tell you, "Hey do the math, you should have had that shit in the palm of your hand. With your skills and experience, You should have had no problem, he shouldnt have even LANDED on you."

And yet he did.

So how do you deal with your ego then?

Thats why i cant understand how champs come back from KO losses or upsets. It must be mind boggling, infuriating, humiliating. Like what i felt after the spar, but on a universal scale.

you'll get another crack at that guy. take him to grammar school when you see him next time.

haha, yeah dude. I'd love to think this way, but this guys been in there for weeks, and ive been in there for close to a year. You see my dilemma? Its like having to wrestle a girl in a high school wrestling tournament. You beat her, big whoop no big deal, You beat a girl. You get pinned or lose, All of a sudden you're the new laughingstock of the team. Its a lose lose.

So yeah, I could come back fired up and whoop the guy ass. But is that the way to go? Or should i let it go and accept the fact that i got rocked by someone new and that i fucked up on my part. . I didnt even expect myself to do so shitty. But such is fighting, it always manages to kick you in the ass.

So im swallowing my one years worth of pride against his couple weeks. Its bitter yeah, but hey..what can you do? This is the equivalent of losing to a very manly girl in wrestling for me. Maybe some people will look and say hey, he got rocked by that complete noob. But my feelings can manage.

Did you read in my log:

"Yeah we'll go easy, we'll just work defense."

In high-level Boxing Gyms, I'm realizing that means "Soon as the bell rings I'm gonna try and kill you."

Shit, nothing gets you more defensive then when some guy is trying to hook your head off. and shit man, im coming to the same realization as you.. Although a bit later than i should have.

Now when some guys trainer tells me "Hey hes new, just work with him, go easy" I aint going in there half assed. Because seriously i've been getting rocked harder by guys who've been in there for like 3-4 weeks, than people who've been with it for a while. I think my mentality plays a big part in me getting fucking clocked by these new comers. I try and stay calm and nice about it and the guys just come in swinging for fences until they get tired and quit. So yeah, i guess i did learn some valuable lessons from this disheartening experience..

That noobs are the ones who come swinging to take your head off so i shouldnt come in all day dreaming against them (My mistake today) and that i should protect myself at all times (They really mean it when they say it) From now on when i get in the ring, im going to be ready mentally like its a real fight to prevent these preemptive noob assaults.

ive also been working standup for a short time about 8 months now and i always seem to have trouble with new guys. i try to keep my hands up and let them wear themselfs out

fighting rabbit can i p.m. you?

as long as its not A/S/L? I dont see why not, LOL

ive also been working standup for a short time about 8 months now and i always seem to have trouble with new guys. i try to keep my hands up and let them wear themselfs out

Yeah, i guess its all about expectations. For a year of boxing, i dont believe im at all effective in the ring yet as i should be. But to other people, A year of training should always conquer a few weeks training. Even i think that. But in my case it just wasnt true :icon_chee

Shit, nothing gets you more defensive then when some guy is trying to hook your head off. and shit man, im coming to the same realization as you.. Although a bit later than i should have.

Now when some guys trainer tells me "Hey hes new, just work with him, go easy" I aint going in there half assed. Because seriously i've been getting rocked harder by guys who've been in there for like 3-4 weeks, than people who've been with it for a while. I think my mentality plays a big part in me getting fucking clocked by these new comers. I try and stay calm and nice about it and the guys just come in swinging for fences until they get tired and quit. So yeah, i guess i did learn some valuable lessons from this disheartening experience..

That noobs are the ones who come swinging to take your head off so i shouldnt come in all day dreaming against them (My mistake today) and that i should protect myself at all times (They really mean it when they say it) From now on when i get in the ring, im going to be ready mentally like its a real fight to prevent these

It's because they're going through the gambit of emotions. They're scared, tense, lack control, and also they want to make a name for themselves, and some of them even don't know their own strength yet.

I mentioned in another thread that Pro Welterweight Said Ouali has a reputation for beating guys up in the Gym. But so far the two times I've been around him, what got back to me was that he was out-boxing the guys and they started going apeshit trying to wail on him, and got hammered.

A lot of guys don't know how to put in work, and when you DO know how to work it can harm you when in there with guys who don't get it, because you keep giving them unnecessary benefits of the doubt. It is in your best interest to be wary of this.

A lot of guys don't know how to put in work, and when you DO know how to work it can harm you when in there with guys who don't get it, because you keep giving them unnecessary benefits of the doubt. It is in your best interest to be wary of this.

Complete aware now. I really do try to work with these guys, so i go in with a pretty non threatening guard/gesture, shoot off a couple jabs for them to defend, then shit all of a sudden i take the meanest overhand right they can muster through my wimpy jab/guard. Only then does it rock my brain into gear like "Ey, this guys trying to hurt you dude, hit him back". So you're right. I do give them the benefit of the doubt. Only because in my experience. I've only met certain types of first timers. Ones who are absolutely timid and cower. But today i met a new type. The type thats going to rush you like you just yelled expletives about his mother. And today i paid for it by being nice and thinking this guy really just wanted to move around a little. Im looking like a rookie in the ring at the expense of my own kindness. Now i guess its being seen or taken as a weakness.

After the spar i had a short conversation with my trainer after he saw the opening combo that rocked me. He tells me "Ey, see man, you gotta learn to be ready, learn to keep your guard up" I reply and give him an excuse for my poor performance.. "Yeah i know Tony, but the guys corner is tellin me, go easy, dont try and kill him, hes only been in for like 2-3 weeks, So i softened up and just expected to dance" To that my trainer laughs and replies "So just cause hes only been in for a couple weeks, that means he has the right to try and kill you while you stand there? Fuck that shit"

Then, it was clear to me (Though i knew this all along about myself) That im just too passive in the ring. I cant really initiate and start bombing on a guy if he didnt hit me clean. Such is my nature, and now im convinced its something i really really MUST change if im going to be a good fighter. But is it even possible to talk myself into being more aggressive and assertive in the ring?

You've probablly heard it before KK, but i read that southpaws are counterpunchers by nature. Fighting off the backpedal more than coming forward. Now id hate to believe a generalization like that, that nature has the last say in things. But im starting to believe it. People mentioned to me that my big problems are punching/landing then backing out, and not sticking to my taller opponent when i've got inside position, even though im short and thats the game i should be playing. Im thinking its only been a year, so maybe i havent developed those in-fighting instincts into muscle memory.

As i've mentioned in other threads, its a big fear of mine to be stuck and only know one mode of boxing. If i knew that nature intended that im only to be a passive, speedy, counterpunchy 'throw a one two then hightail it' kind of fighter all my career. Then i wouldnt even want to box anymore to be honest.

ah..boxing..it troubles my soul.

You don't have to only know ONE mentality. But you have to get in touch with WHAT you are before you can learn anything else. Know what I mean?

Sure more Southpaws tend to be slicksters, and more technical. But why do you even want to fight? Why is fighting fun? Where is the little bit of sado-masochism? You can't put that away simply because a guy is new. according to his trainer.

Mike sometimes gets on me about it, too. I have a tendency to let a new guy I'm in with dictate the pace, especially if I think I'm better than he is. Sometimes it results in me looking bad because they'll throw everything at me while I just bide time to figure them out, but rounds-wise, I got out-worked.

Lately I've been coming out of that shell more simply because of being in better shape as well as having been significantly hurt very little if at all, or battling through it if hurt or tired. But it sounds like you need to spar guys more who'll put the heat on you, and who CAN do so. This way you get used to the warmth of the fire and know how to function in it.

Mike sometimes gets on me about it, too. I have a tendency to let a new guy I'm in with dictate the pace, especially if I think I'm better than he is. Sometimes it results in me looking bad because they'll throw everything at me while I just bide time to figure them out, but rounds-wise, I got out-worked.

Lately I've been coming out of that shell more simply because of being in better shape as well as having been significantly hurt very little if at all, or battling through it if hurt or tired. But it sounds like you need to spar guys more who'll put the heat on you, and who CAN do so. This way you get used to the warmth of the fire and know how to function in it.

Exfuckingactly. Today i looked the fool because i let the guy work me. All because im used to being passive in that kind of situation.

But what you wrote made me realize just now. That I havent been sparring the people that MAKE me work the inside or force me have to apply some pressure. I noticed one time when i sparred one of my gym mates, he really brought out that come forward fighter thats hiding and seemingly running away from me. I actually slipped his long reach jabs and stuck close and shovel hooked this fucker inside.

Instead i've been sparring all the new guys my trainer tells me to get in with, which aint helping my cause in the aggression department. If anything its teaching me that taking a couple clean hits aint so bad. Now from my experience boxing noobs, i know i can take some good clean wild hits and not lose my cool, but now its time to get angry and really learn to maul some people up inside. Starting monday imma ask my trainer to throw me in the mix with some other people. People who force me to come forward.

All hope is not lost!

gracias for the unintentional pep talk kabuk..moderator..counsler...friend...

LOL just messin.

In the past months I sparred a smaller former GG State Champ, who is all peck-and-run. Against him I had to use my size, my reach, reflexes to not get peppered, and had to move forward the whole time as he was lightning quick and VERY flighty.

Then a LHW (who walks around as a Cruiserweight), who wanted to put his head on my shoulder and belt me in the guts every second of every round.

And in-between a Mexican LW who walks around at nearly JMW, who throws at least 100 punches per round.

Sometimes fun, sometimes fun in the sense of how immensely it sucks. But one thing is for certain, no room for panic or passiveness.

While I admire the nobility in what you're trying to do, at the end of the day, you've got to do what's best for you otherwise, what's the point?

I think the beauty of fighting lies not in the deafeat of your enemies but in the personal insights you gain from the experience. Having an opponent is like a physical manifestation of your own insecurities and in the end, that's what we really conquor.

I have a similar problem and I'm sure many more people do. Sometimes we get caught up in the ethical issues of what we do and while it holds validity, its important not to lose sight of our overall goals.

While I admire the nobility in what you're trying to do, at the end of the day, you've got to do what's best for you otherwise, what's the point?

I think the beauty of fighting lies not in the deafeat of your enemies but in the personal insights you gain from the experience. Having an opponent is like a physical manifestation of your own insecurities and in the end, that's what we really conquor.

yeah dude. I agree completely with your philosophy of fighting. I share the same views. Its not about the violence and bloodshed (although it is one aspect :icon_chee) Its about conquering yourself and your insecurities. To be able to recognize and learn lessons when they present themselves as a problem. Just like reading a book, i think boxing expands your mind. Its a thinking mans sport. You actually have to do some thinking and analyzing to progress yourself.

As far as conquering goes. You ever have that bad dream where you're fighting someone, and you're throwing your hardest punches at their face but it has no effect on them, and you wake up feeling weak and unsure? Well the aftermath of sparring or training can sometimes bring about the same feelings of insecurity in your abilities. If something doesnt go your way, all of a sudden you're inadequate. And like you said, its those times that you really have to conquer your own mind. Its only true if you think it is.

I dont know, but i think these feelings and thoughts are something that sticks with every fighter for as long as they fight and compete. That constant struggle between what you really are and what you or people think you are. Thats why i try not to let my ego plague me like it did today. I find it really difficult to do though in a sport like this, Where you put in blood, sweat, tears and you represent not only yourself but the people that train you. And to put yourself on exhibit in that ring with your heart on your sleeve. Sometimes when you put that much into it, its hard to let things go so easy.

Back