Your Daily Non-Training Stretches

RetardControl

White Belt
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm interested in peoples daily stretching routine/s that don't involve training. Routines you do at home or work that supplement your training.

1. Do you stretch daily? If no, why not?

2. If yes, do you do any kind of light warm up before hand?

3. How long do you stretch for?

4. Do you believe isometric or dynamic stretches are better?

I'm finding that I'm getting some benefit from stretching every day when I get on the mat, areas that previously felt very tight are starting to loosen and allow for a wider range of movement. I'm interested as to how others do this and what benefits they feel they get from it.

Also, as a side note, does anyone recommend Scott Sonnons Grapplers Toolbox Reborn? This seems to be the next logical step from Stretching. What about Pilates for Grapplers?

I look forward to your input.

No i dont but i like this topic - I would liek to have a small like say 5 minute stretch routine i could do every morning to get the day started.

If anyone has one put together.. Post it up.. and ill start following it... let you know if it helps.

1) Yes

2) Yes, its more of a light work out than a warm up. 500 jumping jacks 50 squats 50 jump squats 100 pushups 250 set ups (this is done on days I dont have class)

3) 30 seconds per stretch, never really paid attention to the clock to see how long i am on the floor for.

4) A good mixture of both.

As far as the things you listed, I am not familiar with them, but Ginastica Natural Fundamentals DVD by Alvaro Romano is pretty good.

I try to stretch daily, although I miss some days.

I have a "short" stretching routine that involves about three lower body stretches total. I also have a "long" stretching routine that has about twenty stretches.

Stretching is really easy to do so it makes sense to try to do it every day.

do i think I should have a stretching and warm up routine every day .... yes do I ...nope not at all in the slightest. I had a friend who does strength and conditioning for a football program put one together for me last summer and I never got into it fully because I was sick and hurt all last summer. I should try and find time this summer and do it tho.

Eddie Bravo's mastering the rubber guard has a good section on stretching specifically made for grapplers.

I try to spend 5 minutes at least 3 times a day at work stretching. Nothing much just some static and 3 dimensional stretching (google it, love it) for the areas that feel tight, and drop into a full squat a few times.

The days I don't train I spend 30-45 minutes working on flexibility, mobility, as well as core and stability work for my bad knee. Usually throw in some interval training after, though too much still aggrevates the aforementioned knee.

Eddie Bravo's mastering the rubber guard has a good section on stretching specifically made for grapplers.

I pretty much do 2 or 3 of those stretches..and one or two I got from Draculino, but I wish I could say I did them daily...more like once a week if that (outside of jiu jitsu).

I need to start something daily....:icon_cry2

I have been thinking about this aswell. I think my flexibility is what is holding me back alot.

I stretch for the remote and my beer

good place to find a number of useful stretches for grappling?

A daily streching routine is something I'd really like to start.

+1 for somebody to post a good routine or at least a good place to find some good streches for grapplers.

I typically stretch everyday, though some days are more involved than others.

If all I'm doing is going into the gym to lift, then I'll spend about 5-10 min stretching the specific area I'm lifting with, though regardless I always stretch my lower back/hams.

If I'm running (and I run pretty frequently) I spend about a minimum of 15 min stretching before hand, I pay most attention to stretching my lower back, hamstrings, hip flexors, and iliotibial band.

I also do ashtanga yoga about 3-4 days a week for a 30 minute session.

I don't believe in dynamic stretching, to me it just seems ridiculous to bounce when you stretch. I'm not knocking others who do it, but I"ll never do any kind of ballistic/dynamic stretching.

When it comes to grappling I have a specific stretching/warm up routine I do before class, provided the instructor doesn't mind me coming in early, but for me to really stretch the way I like to for grappling, it takes about 30-45 minutes. I pay most attention to shoulder, lower back, and hip/glute flexibility. I've never been that interested in being able to do the splits or whatever, because frankly it just doesn't seem that useful in grappling. Grappling involves a lot of being balled up (think inverted guard, or any time you get stacked) and a lot of movements that involve bringing the knees close to the head (throwing up triangles, armlocks) so that's what I focus on. And as far as the shoulders go, it gives me tons of time for fighting off kimuras, omoplatas, hammerlocks, any of those things. Guys really have to have it in deep for me to tap from them.

I'd like to post a routine, but without pics it'd be pretty useless IMO.

I will say this much, if any one is looking for a great book on stretching that is easy to read and FULL of pics, check out Bob Anderson's book titled "Stretching". It was written back in the late 70s or early 80s and was pretty much the first book out there that talked about stretching. It also has routines in the back of it for different sports and wrestling is one of them.

Isometric stretches only, and only when I am well warmed up. Golgi Tendon Organs (GTO) are specialized nerves that "Fire" when you stretch anything quickly, they cause your muscles to contract involuntarily to prevent sudden, violent stretching from tearing you apart. Like when a guy violently yanks on your arm in BJJ. To stretch while cold forces the GTOs to fire and makes your musles contract, defeating the purpose of stretching them. When you are warm, your tendons are loose and you can stretch easily without setting off the GTOs.

I am naturally very flexible, but always stretched daily as I did not want to lose any flexibility. After a knee injury, however, my doctor told me that due to my flexibility (he called it "loosed jointedness") stretching would actually make me more prone to injury. I'm not saying stretching is bad, just repeating what I was told by my doctor. (Who is very good, and not a quack.)

I am naturally very flexible, but always stretched daily as I did not want to lose any flexibility. After a knee injury, however, my doctor told me that due to my flexibility (he called it "loosed jointedness") stretching would actually make me more prone to injury. I'm not saying stretching is bad, just repeating what I was told by my doctor. (Who is very good, and not a quack.)

a good personal trainer told me as he demonstrated with a few of the people standing near us that some people need to stretch and some people need to strengthen. not one piece of advice is good for all.

Back