Your Competition record...mine's awful

Unr8dBJJ

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey guys,

With a new year upon us, it's time to plan your competition year, tournaments, local and foreign.

In the spirit of new competitions I wanted to hear some of your best recaps of wins or losses, funny tournament incidents.

My record is like 3 wins, and an insane amount of losses, I've received 1 Gold medal in my entire career lol I usually get put in the advanced groupings which is always fun, I like rolling with higher belts.

would like to hear your tales

Thanks guys

1-1 mma
won my first fight with rnc and lost my 2nd match by triangle with about 20 seconds left in the 3rd round in a fight of which I was winning

nogi bjj(all in novice category) 4-1
2 tournaments. First one won my first match by rnc then lost on points. Second tournament won my division.

gi bjj 0-2
First tournament lost on points. Second tournament got matched up with the guy I beat in the final of nogi and he beat me on points, pretty handily too

judo(novice division) 4-3
Two tournaments. First tournament lost my first match by wazari then won my next 4 by ippon(3 throws, one choke) and took second. Second tournament went up a weight division and got hansomaked in first match(head diving/went for a big pull and didn't quite get it) and then lost by a wazari I believe in my second match

I have the same win percentage as Rickson! 100% baby! Undefeated.

1-0 at NAGA lol :)

13-4 with 8 sub wins and 2 sub losses.

Mine hovers around 50/50.

Typically you will rack up some initial losses when you first get to a new level (new belt, international vs regional, etc). You go a couple tournaments 0-1. Then when you finally win one, you'll go 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, etc. This will even your record back out.

Look on the bright side. Typically you can lose 3-4 tournaments for every 1 you win a gold medal at and still have a "winning record" overall.

BJJ tournaments are like bowling. They reward consistency. You need to put together a winning streak.

Since losing streaks are naturally cut short (typically at your first loss), your winning streaks are always going to be way bigger than your losing streaks.

I can't recount every match so I'll go by tournament:

2 - 0 in MMA, first win a unanimous decision, 2nd win a submission

prolly over a dozen NAGAs:

Didn't place at all in one tournament, tons of 3rd and second place medals, sometimes only 1 medal on the day, sometimes placed in both divisions...

A couple golds in some pankration style tournaments.

Got two silvers in a submission only tournament two years ago, my first gold ever in the same submission only tournament about a month ago (got a silver in Gi as well).

Lost my first match in the NY Open last September to points (close match... next time I'll make it through a few matches in my bracket!! :p )

As for funny instances, I relax myself by talking and having fun during my rolls, for example:

One time, I'm in a match and I'm on top in my opponent's half guard, keeping him flat. His corner yells "Let's go, get up. He's not stronger than the guys you train with!" And I looked up and said "You're damn right I'm not!" .. His corner chuckled, the guy on bottom chucked, the ref facepalmed and we continued on.

Another time I had a guy smothering me from side, couldn't get anything going. My corner guy was staring at me from the top half and couldn't see my bottom half. He says "I can't see what he's doing with your bottom half", and since he was on top of me blocking my vision, I yell back "I can't either, dude. He's literally on top of me." My corner yells back "PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR MATCH!" and I yell back "WELL THEN STOP DISTRACTING ME!" lol.

Another time I spent like, 3 minutes trying to break this dude's guard. It was an intense battle because we were both expending a lot of energy. I'd get close to breaking and he'd break me bakc down, etc etc. At one point the ref yells "keep working", and me and the guy both stop, stare at him and go "WE'RE TRYING" then continue rolling. lol.

Then there was a time when I was going for a collar choke from the back, and there was a photographer who came by and started taking pictures of our match. As I was going for the choke I stopped, looked up at him and let out a big goofy grin. The photographer looked down at his camera, made a weird face, looked up and me and started laughing, so I winked at him and then kept going for the choke.

I try and keep the mood light because if you're not having fun out there, what's the point, right?

In 2014 I went 3-3. This year I hope to compete more, starting at NAGA New England at the end of this month.

I'm over .500 at every belt level, I usually medal, but only at local stuff. My Judo record was probably about .500, again at local/regional level. In both BJJ and Judo, I lost a lot before I started winning. The worst was jumping to the BB division in Judo when I got my brown, I don't know how long it took me to win a match. In terms of records, I was probably about 15/20 novice division Judo, 15/30 advanced division before injuries stopped me from competing, I have no idea what my BJJ white belt record was, but as a blue belt I was probably ~8/10 (I has a white belt a long, long time so I was already pretty decent when I started fighting as a blue and I was only a blue belt for a little over a year), and as a purple I actually know my record, I'm 8 for 13 and fighting again in February. I'd like to fight more but there just aren't that many tournaments in my area.

Most of my Judo wins were on the ground even before I started BJJ, and up until purple I won most of my BJJ matches by sub. I think about half of my purple belt matches have ended in subs. Fun fact: I've only had my guard passed twice in BJJ competition, both times by the same guy but in two different matches. Also the only person I've ever lost to more than once in BJJ. I got my Judo black belt for beating 4 black belts in a row at a single tournament. My best finish ever in a senior national event was joint 7th in 2004 Judo Collegiate Nationals, in a junior event it was winning AAU Judo junior nationals in 2003 (though that's not that big of a deal, AAU is the least significant national governing body for Judo and none of the best people were there).

Daniel Payne is 6-3 in amateur MMA and has not had a fight since 2011. Payne was the star of the MTV show Caged. Kelly Hill is 2-1 in amateur MMA, and Hill was star of the MTV show Slednecks.

Damn somebody had to bring this up haha.

0-3. No GI. All losses by points. I plan on competing more this year so hopefully I can turn it around.

I have no clue lol. There have been a couple years with over fifty matches.

Wrestling - 47W, 20L (i was very dumb in my first year trying to wrestle for mma instead of wrestle for wrestling)

Judo - 11W, 4L

BJJ Gi - 12W, 3L, 1DQ

BJJ No Gi - 4W, 1L

Interesting question... I have no idea.

I've probably competed about 25 times over the past 8 years, with an average of 3-4 matches every time.

I'd say I'm probably near a 60-65% winning percentage, but literally have no idea. I've had really good days and some 'meh' days.

Ehh, I don't know. I know I went 0-11 as a whitebelt before picking up a few wins. I've been roughly 50/50 ever since, but since I haven't competed that much, I'm sure my overall percentage isn't that good.

Last year for me was pretty good. As a White belt I won a couple of Newbreeds and got Gold at Boca Raton Open for Masters 2 Light even though I'm an old man at Masters 4.

I'll try to compete this year as a Blue but training more than twice a week has challenge all in itself due to responsibilities.

"Life is what happens to you while you're buys making other plans" ~John Lennon

Combining gi and no-gi:

0-1 as a white belt (outside of in-house tournaments)
5-3 as a blue belt
4-0 as a purple

All local tournaments.

I have never lost in training or in competition..I got my black belt in under 2 months

[YT]yN4wsMDNpWw[/YT]

Something like 2 to 1 Wins to Loses. 40-50 matches. Majority of the matches were between blue and purple. I'm an old ass brown belt now. Diapers and how fast I can change them is my competition.

Back