Your BJJ Goals

I'm starting BJJ to lose weight. I've lost 21 lbs at a regular gym but I hate it and am quickly losing interest. I had a heart attack at the age of 28 due to my poor lifestyle choices and I intend to fix that by learning BJJ, competing and dropping the rest of the 60 lbs I gained in the past few years. 39 lbs left to go. My driving force for this decision is to be able to be there for my wife and daughter. At 29, I'm still very strong and able to bring my body to it's peak physical condition and be there for them later on in life.

Congrats on losing weight man. If you stick with BJJ i am 100% sure you will get into better shape.

Embarrass someone in competitions by catching them in a armless triangle. I would call it a blood choke except it is more like a neck crank in which you suffocate in my cupless groin. Lucky for most people I keep real clean and don't hit it that often, but It does make people rethink going deep for double under pass.

My goal is short term is to get a blue belt before 2012 but in the long run my goal is to earn my black belt in BJJ and then become a professional MMA fighter

just to continue training and learning...but with humility.

To learn more grappling!

But as for something more concrete:

-Get my bluebelt
-Focus more on sweeps to help me get back on top where my game is strongest
-Polish up my passing from full and half guard
-Continue improving my wrestling. Start some Greco maybe?
-Start doing some judo (What can I say? Takedowns are fun!)

My goals are to
1. Go to the gym every time my schedule says so
2. Go running every time my schedule says so
3. Go to my bjj, thai, mma classes every time my schedule says so
4. To work on my technique as many hours as possible a day whenever the 3 above aren't scheduled.

I just got back into training since I broke my ankle 2 years ago coaching wrestling and I have some goals figured out.

- Get my purple bet. I know there's a lot to be said about belt chasing, but I've been training for almost 6 years now. With a several injuries and multiple moves to and from Europe I've had to take some breaks. I've seen my friends surpass me and I want to catch up.

- Get in back in shape. I've lost over 10 lbs since I started training again in November and my conditioning is less 'pathetic'. Just gotta keep it up.

- Open guard passing. Because I was a wrestler I forced myself to make a habit of pulling guard so I would learn to fight off my back. But now I find myself having trouble when people sit back and pull guard immediately. I'm going right into these guards now intentionally to work on my passes.

I have always been an athlete and have always been involved in something or other fitness related during almost every year of my life, and I see this sport as pretty much the apex of fitness-inducing individual sports as well as a challenging and interesting outlet for personal artistic and biomechanic expression, so my only real goal I can see for myself is to train in this sport with regularity until I perish or become infirm such that I can no longer do it.

I am a commitment oriented person and know myself well enough to know that the future me will certainly pursue athletics as I always have, and I haven't found any I like as much as this shit, so there it is. Jitsu until death or disability, pack it in a time capsule and ping me in 2021.

Short term goal, protect the mall from mallrats.

To improve. To compete. To win my division. To be able to competently teach someone else.

There's always the lose weight/get healthy, but I don't see that as a BJJ specific goal. I have a lot more outside of BJJ to do for that goal than I have in BJJ.

I don't want to set belt goals, as I'd be worried about getting to that point and losing interest. I've done it before.

I had a heart attack at the age of 28 due to my poor lifestyle choices

Biggest goal? I want to avoid this.

For 2011: I want to lose more weight and actually fit in a BJJ Gi. I've doing my classes No Gi because I can't fit a BJJ Gi at the moment. Started out at 5'9 and about 240 pounds and now I'm down to 200 pounds. I should be able to fit an A3, but I seem to hold all my weight in the mid section, so damn thing won't wrap around enough. Hopefully I can lose another 10 pounds in the next 6 weeks and finally be able to fit in while in class. By the end of the year, I want to be about 165, have a blue belt and compete in a tournament.

Thanks Brother. I wasn't having the best time the 1st 2 weeks as I was grossly out of shape. I made friends and they helped me better my cardio and now I can hang a bit better than I did before.
I used to be a runner when I was in college but when I graduated and my knees started to bother me I stopped, I ballooned to 340lbs, but lost 30lbs prior to BJJ and now I am sitting on 280lbs trying to lose 10lbs a months is my goal.

Even for in shape people, BJJ can be mean. So no worries there. Good luck with your goals.

Compete in a tourny this year.

Get my blue belt this year.

Learn to roll without gassing too hard, ie. Don't be a spaz.. Already working on that and seeing results. Subs come easier when you're relaxed and focused on technique for sure.

For 2011 I plan to:

-Compete in at least 3 tournaments (I would like to win, but the training to get there I think is the most important part).
-keep working towards blue (my studio requires at least 1 1/2 years if not more in white), I'm 5 months in now.
-really working on the fundamentals, drill, drill drill until I can possibly think of doing the move again, then do it again.
-Have a great submission combination from guard that is totally muscle memory (I really like triangles and omoplatas, so I think I want to get those down perfectly)

I honestly don't know why I am so obsessed with BJJ, but there it is, and I just want to understand more and get better. The more I train the happier I am.

For 2011 I plan to:

-Compete in at least 3 tournaments (I would like to win, but the training to get there I think is the most important part).
-keep working towards blue (my studio requires at least 1 1/2 years if not more in white), I'm 5 months in now.
-really working on the fundamentals, drill, drill drill until I can possibly think of doing the move again, then do it again.
-Have a great submission combination from guard that is totally muscle memory (I really like triangles and omoplatas, so I think I want to get those down perfectly)

I honestly don't know why I am so obsessed with BJJ, but there it is, and I just want to understand more and get better. The more I train the happier I am.

I'm beyond obsessed with BJJ to and I've been training for about 4 months myself.

My Goals are:
-Get my Blue belt my December
-Compete in my first tournament (I don't care about winning, just there for the experience)
-Work on my top game, I really love working from my guard though (I think having a good guard is the most important arsenal you can have)
-Lose belly fat, I'm 6' 150 pounds which is skinny, but for some reason I got a small beer gut
-Practice from standing up more and not pulling guard

I want to be able to hang with anyone. Not win Mundials, or ADCC, but I'm big enough that size isn't an issue and if I can get my technique good enough then I should be able to roll with anyone and not get murdered straight away...of course, that's a big 'if' and will take a long time, but that is my ultimate goal. I suppose if I do it long enough it'll probably result in a black belt, but my goal is that if I get on the mat with anyone they won't leave shaking their head thinking I'm a fish.

At this point in my life, I will never be world or US or probably even state champ, but if I could get on the mat with guys like Marcelo Garcia or Roger and last a minute or two on the strength of my technique then I would consider all my mat time well spent.

Back