Your best No-Gi ways to fight off the rnc.

Dedicado

Machetero
Reaction score
What is your best rnc defense?

Let's e-mail this list to Pete Spratt, he can use this.

1. This is what I do: Get to my stomach. From here I make a "slide" with my back so the guy falls forward and takes his weight on his head. Then I reach up and pull on his head while I push into him, he falls down on the ground and I am now on top in N/S position.

2. If I can't get to my stomach. Control his hands and turn into him, he gets the mount, but I get to breathe. I can get a sweep going at the same time usually and wind up in his guard.

What are you gonna do in this situation?

Dedicado said:
What is your best rnc defense?

Let's e-mail this list to Pete Spratt, he can use this.

1. This is what I do: Get to my stomach. From here I make a "slide" with my back so the guy falls forward and takes his weight on his head. Then I reach up and pull on his head while I push into him, he falls down on the ground and I am now on top in N/S position.

2. If I can't get to my stomach. Control his hands and turn into him, he gets the mount, but I get to breathe. I can get a sweep going at the same time usually and wind up in his guard.

What are you gonna do in this situation?

im gonna tap furiously

the basic escape is the best.
i also like the one where you reach back and grab the guys head and pull it towards one of your shoulders, it works also

Before he can put the last hand on his shoulder, grab their wrist, put your hand on the back of your head, bring your elbow in your forearm is against your cheek, bring their wrist down and their elbow will break over your shoulder.

I usually now defend by keeping my chin down, grabbing my opposite trap and keeping my elbow against my chest so they can't try a cobra choke. I then try slide my ass as far away as I can and turn over into guard or half guard, depending on if I try clean one of their hooks. Pretty much a no gi variation of Saulo's back escape on his jiujitsu revolution DVDs.

we were tought to roll so that his back is pressed aginst the ground and then to turn our chins away from the opponents shoulder and get a hand in between the neck and the bicep. From here bridge up high and force all your weight to one side while sliding your butt off his stomach and pivet your hips in the same direction as your body weight. A very good escape that can land you anywhere from in their guard to 100kilo position.

damn these threads make me realize than a pictue is worth a thousand words. And clips are worth even more

Tuck in the chin and just wait for them to get tired going for it, then spin around back into their guard.

physicaltherapy said:
Damn these threads make me realize that a pictue is worth a thousand words. And clips are worth even more...

LOL! So true.

Here's the most basic escape I can think of; maybe my description will be adequate. BTW, it's usually a gi escape, but it works without the gi too:

TUCK YOUR CHIN. Tuck it into the "crook" of his elbow. Begin to "climb the rope", i.e. grab the gi at the elbow of your opponent's arm (let's say it's his right arm) that is attempting to go under your chin. Start climbing with your hands up toward his right shoulder. Keep tucking your chin in and keep twisting your whole body around toward that same right shoulder.

The risks are certainly there, but your already in a really bad situation.

If his hooks are higher than my hips - out the back door. This works well on all fours.

Good job boys, keep em coming, surely there are more?

Bubble Boy said:
LOL! So true.

Here's the most basic escape I can think of; maybe my description will be adequate. BTW, it's usually a gi escape, but it works without the gi too:

TUCK YOUR CHIN. Tuck it into the "crook" of his elbow. Begin to "climb the rope", i.e. grab the gi at the elbow of your opponent's arm (let's say it's his right arm) that is attempting to go under your chin. Start climbing with your hands up toward his right shoulder. Keep tucking your chin in and keep twisting your whole body around toward that same right shoulder.

The risks are certainly there, but your already in a really bad situation.

Ok, I'd like to add to this one.

Roll onto your side to pin your opponent's arm underneath you where he won't be able to pull because you're a) grabbing his gi with the hand on the same side and b) leaning your weight on it.

Next bring your hips and legs up towards you which will bring his hooks up towards you too making them easier to grab. With your free hand remove the top hook and turn over to face your opponent. Obviously this should be done quickly.

ttt, no-gi guys! It's not that I don't appreciate your ideas, but I'm looking for no-gi here dude.

I generally just pull one of their hands down and put it between my body and arm then roll onto that side to keep it neutralized. From there, I just put my ass on their inner theigh and try to turn into their guard or even pass to their side.

Dedicado said:
ttt, no-gi guys! It's not that I don't appreciate your ideas, but I'm looking for no-gi here dude.

I think these gi examples convert fairly seamlessly (no pun intended) to no-gi stuff. e.g, instead of climbing the gi, you climb the arm, clamping onto elbow joints and the such instead of handfuls of gi. But your point is well taken, you did ask for no-gi examples.

there are many different moves he could do he could pyramid, or granby roll if the position is right, even monkey roll.

Bridge and escape the hips on the opposite side of the attacking arm-(the on around your neck), while holding with my arms his forearm and trying to relieve pressure i get my chin down as well. If all goes well you be in opponents guard... or maybe even better...

Tucking the chin and waiting for the other guy to tire is not a good idea in NO GI. You are just asking for a jaw breaker.

Rolling to your stomach... also a pretty shitty idea because now you are stuck (your mobility is severely hindered compared to them having your back with your stomach facing the ceiling). That pulling the head is pretty weak, and if your opponent is decent at all - you're fucked because you just gave an arm.

I either:

a) give them mount by sliding so that my back is on the ground... then work from there.
b) do the spin as already mentioned
c) hook one leg with both of mine (have to break the hooks first), then turn into them to get the top half guard position (which for me is nice because I can pass that last leg pretty easily)

For defending, I just grab wrists while keeping my arms tight to my body... tuck the chin, but don't let them get their arm across your face (or you're fucked). I tend to position my hands next to my jaw line so that I can "feel" their hands.

KDawg said:
Tucking the chin and waiting for the other guy to tire is not a good idea in NO GI. You are just asking for a jaw breaker.

Rolling to your stomach... also a pretty shitty idea because now you are stuck (your mobility is severely hindered compared to them having your back with your stomach facing the ceiling). That pulling the head is pretty weak, and if your opponent is decent at all - you're fucked because you just gave an arm.
Notice I didn't ask for a critique of my rnc defense. I asked for your best rnc defense.

As to my move being, " a shitty idea " and being " pretty weak ", apart from a MMA fighter and my teacher, I haven't been tapped via rnc since December 2002.
I have no problems with my mobility from all fours, in fact, I am very strong here. If they go for an arm, they fall off my back, and I roll out of the arm bar into a side mount. If they are sweaty they will slide off. If they are much better than me they will beat me no matter what position they are in.
A jaw breaker is only pain, pain can be accomodated, choking cannot. The worst that might happen here is a neck crank or a spinal adjustment, while these things are things I know now to tap to before I get injured, they are not a fundamental flaw in the move, and only someone much stronger than myself can make me tap from a neck crank, and this hasn't happened to me in a tournament yet.
I give up my back on purpose, this is how I work my defence. I call it " Defecit fighting". Try it out guys, it's king for defense improvements.

Maybe I didn't explain my move well enough, kdawg, so I'll be more clear:

- Tuck in chin
- block the choking arm from crossing my neck
- roll to all fours
- place head on mat, and hips as high as I can, going even on tip-toes if I have to
- as he slides towards the ground, I begin to jiggle my body
- when I feel him slipping, I grab the back of his head and pull very hard
- I stack his head on the mat, and pin his shoulders
- either he gets a neck crank, I ensure he does, or he lets the hooks go out
- he falls to the floor and I pin him in n/s

Just trying to help you out... try pulling on the head of a more experienced fighter, and you'll find out. Saying that pain can be accomodated is kind of funny... when your jaw breaks its not. Tapping to an armlock is tapping to pain, I'm sure that you've done that...

I'm just trying to help you out... I am a Judo fighter foremost, and I don't mind giving my back... but when you fight against a brown belt level BJJ fighter (when there is no standup for inactivity), I'd much rather them have mount than my back. I'd also much rather them have my back while they are on theirs compared to having my back when I am on all fours. A good fighter isn't going to give you an arm to take advantage of... they will flatten you out and work for a rear naked (and once you are flattened out it is over).

Also, I gave you some ideas for RNC defense.

Back