• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

You vs The World (bad decisions you agree with)

I just realized Op meant actual bad Dec's that the judges had and we've agreed with, not ones that went the other way. Oops, either way that's prob the most controversial opinion on any Dec of note.

I already saw some of yours but I figured it was Pac/Bradley 1, you got a ton of shit for that. I had Pac winning but going back and watching it a bunch of times, it was closer than I first thought.

But right now I’m realizing the way I worded the original post clearly states that we’re talking about decisions the judges gave our way and everybody disagrees with. You were right I’m a few beers in already. Sorry

He was pretty dominant but those two fights were not 12 round shutouts. On top of that, it was a different era, that showboating did not go over well in the first Ramirez fight, in fact, most fighters could not get away with that back then. I watched a commentary by Thomas Sowell on the changing of sports/society and used boxing as an example, it's pretty good even though two of my heroes, Ali and Camacho are most responsible for the change:

that’s a cool video, it’s kinda weird how it changes tone and goes from social behavior to punching power and fighter weight.

regarding the one punch KO’s, it’s interesting how Joe Louis is not brought up more often as a one punch KO artist but I’m sure a lot of those Marciano and Louis KO’s have a lot to do with the lighter gloves they used in the division back then. 6oz at some point if I recall, maybe 8 for Louis, Tyson fury uses 10oz?

Probably not a huge reason but I’m sure it helped back then

But right now I’m realizing the way I worded the original post clearly states that we’re talking about decisions the judges gave our way and everybody disagrees with. You were right I’m a few beers in already. Sorry

Yeah I like that part of it tho, b/c it adds a caveat that makes it a more unique question. Don't think I've seen this question before. It's a good one.

You ain't the only one my guy. First time I've drank in like two weeks too so my tolerance is loww haha. And I haven't eaten yet today. Hope I make it to 12, nap might be in the future.

Yeah I like that part of it tho, b/c it adds a caveat that makes it a more unique question. Don't think I've seen this question before. It's a good one.

You ain't the only one my guy. First time I've drank in like two weeks too so my tolerance is loww haha. And I haven't eaten yet today. Hope I make it to 12, nap might be in the future.

same here bro, we’re having a New Years lunch in an hour or so and I’m already a bit fucked up because I had some beers while fasted, they hit different that way for sure.

The question came because I suddenly realized I was happy Chavez got that draw and screw whoever says different (pretty much everyone <45>)

Happy New Year!

same here bro, we’re having a New Years lunch in an hour or so and I’m already a bit fucked up because I had some beers while fasted, they hit different that way for sure.

The question came because I suddenly realized I was happy Chavez got that draw and screw whoever says different (pretty much everyone <45>)

Happy New Year!
You too bud. Stay safe guys.

that’s a cool video, it’s kinda weird how it changes tone and goes from social behavior to punching power and fighter weight.

regarding the one punch KO’s, it’s interesting how Joe Louis is not brought up more often as a one punch KO artist but I’m sure a lot of those Marciano and Louis KO’s have a lot to do with the lighter gloves they used in the division back then. 6oz at some point if I recall, maybe 8 for Louis, Tyson fury uses 10oz?

Probably not a huge reason but I’m sure it helped back then
I'm not sure what point sowell was making, that they hit harder? were more capable? Don't know about that. Sowell is a brilliant guy but I don't think he knows much on boxing but it was interesting to get his thoughts. He also thinks it's perfectly acceptable for talented men to fight for a living when they don't have any other marketable skills, practical thinking to a fault.

I went and watched that fifth round again, that was a petty good right hand that caught Oscar coming in but I don’t think Oscar was rocked, I’m actually thinking now, has Oscar ever been wobbled and badly rocked? He was hurt here but also because he was rushing in made it look worse, against Quartey he was dropped but he wasn’t really hurt.

Pac did a number on him but I don’t ever remember him wobbling and Hopkins obviously hurt him to the body.
But was Oscar ever really wobbly at any point in his career? Dude had a chin
he has never really been close to being KO’d but he’s def been hurt. floyd hurt him with that right hand, quartey dropped him, i feel like vargas might have wobbled him early. i think that’s a testament to his stamina just as much as his chin. even when he did get hurt, he usually recovered immediately.

he has never really been close to being KO’d but he’s def been hurt. floyd hurt him with that right hand, quartey dropped him, i feel like vargas might have wobbled him early. i think that’s a testament to his stamina just as much as his chin. even when he did get hurt, he usually recovered immediately.
Ironically, before he had his shit together as a pro, he was knocked down twice by lower tier fighters, I remember the article asking, "what's boxing's next star doing in a place like this?". He seemed a little distracted by the business of boxing in the early days, and why not? If you're just an athlete and all of the sudden all these sharks are tugging at you, it's understandable.

Ironically, before he had his shit together as a pro, he was knocked down twice by lower tier fighters, I remember the article asking, "what's boxing's next star doing in a place like this?". He seemed a little distracted by the business of boxing in the early days, and why not? If you're just an athlete and all of the sudden all these sharks are tugging at you, it's understandable.
well he was a good looking kid who was being marketed to the moon, coming off a great olympic showing. he was a cash cow VERY early on, from what i remember. that’s why ryan garcia reminds me so much of him.

well he was a good looking kid who was being marketed to the moon, coming off a great olympic showing. he was a cash cow VERY early on, from what i remember. that’s why ryan garcia reminds me so much of him.
he was a popular guy of course, he just needed a little time to transition to the very different world of the pros, lots of great ammies get lost in that, he was shaky for a bit, had a few falling outs with some early managers but he got the hang of the cuthroat business better than any fighter I've seen. Not too many fighters could make it as a promoter.

This is a god-awful video lol. Little does Thomas Sowell know that Joe Louis' image was meticulously managed by his handlers, whereby he had to abide by certain rules so that white America wouldn't be enraged at him like with Jack Johnson. Speaking of Jack Johnson, he was an extremely boastful and arrogant champion that fought in the early 20th century, he just didn't give a fuck about the consequences. We live in a better era today in terms of freedom. The "respectfulness" of the older eras were in large part artificially created and enforced by old racist white america. How he does not see this is baffling.

horn beat pacquiao fair and square. not a bad decision whatsoever but is often referred to as a robbery when it was nothing of the sort.

Didn't see the fight. Still, weight Pacquiao was interesting. He was sharp and fast. You think he'd be able to chew through weight bullies and bigger fighters. That is a pattern. Canelo, for example, is looking good against bigger guys who are inherently slower. James Toney was like this. Mickey Walker. Harry Greb. Jack Dempsey. Sometimes blitzers, or fast fighters, struggle with speed.

Pacquiao ruined Margarito's face, but it should be really apparent that there were stress lines in that fight against Hands of Plaster. Pacquiao had slipped more by the time of the Horn fight that everything kind of lined up.

Canelo GGG 1

The rounds Canelo won were tight and the rounds GGG won were clear and that fueled the narrative it was a robbery.

Draw was an acceptable score as was a narrow GGG decision. Far from a robbery

I thought Bradley edged Pac. Fight had some of the most biased compubox stats I've ever seen

I thought Pac won but HBO was the bees knees for Pacman...who could forget Lampleys BANG BANG BANG BANG "commentating"

This is a god-awful video lol. Little does Thomas Sowell know that Joe Louis' image was meticulously managed by his handlers, whereby he had to abide by certain rules so that white America wouldn't be enraged at him like with Jack Johnson. Speaking of Jack Johnson, he was an extremely boastful and arrogant champion that fought in the early 20th century, he just didn't give a fuck about the consequences. We live in a better era today in terms of freedom. The "respectfulness" of the older eras were in large part artificially created and enforced by old racist white america. How he does not see this is baffling.

It certainly was but the sport was still very different back then. I think Sowell's main point is substance over style. Johnson boasted and even Joe would put in some zingers, (he can run but he can't hide) ever so subtly and or only amongst confidantes. It was definitely a more mature manner of conducting themselves even if the guys might have heated each other's guts. What gets me is how people keep falling for the same shenanigans that have been done to death by now.

Canelo GGG 1

The rounds Canelo won were tight and the rounds GGG won were clear and that fueled the narrative it was a robbery.

Draw was an acceptable score as was a narrow GGG decision. Far from a robbery
i rewatched it recently and had it 7-5 canelo. i had it wide for golovkin when i watched it live, probably 8-4. depends on what you value. pitter patter punches in great volume or hard hooks and right hands in much smaller succession.

unless you’re MUCH faster than canelo, i think it’s hard to beat him just touching him over and over at range. he’s GOING to hit you with something much harder in return, though maybe only once or twice.

I thought Pac won but HBO was the bees knees for Pacman...who could forget Lampleys BANG BANG BANG BANG "commentating"

Jim Lampleys affection for Pacquiao was creepy , IMO. The guy would literally burst into tears watching him fight. Something was wrong with the guy.

I think Lampley also burst to tears after the Mosley Coto fight. Dude was my favorite commentator but was kinda creepy sometimes.

Still, the combination of him, merchant and foreman followed closely by max was definitely my favorite team.
Manny Stewart also offered some amazing insight.

i rewatched it recently and had it 7-5 canelo. i had it wide for golovkin when i watched it live, probably 8-4. depends on what you value. pitter patter punches in great volume or hard hooks and right hands in much smaller succession.

unless you’re MUCH faster than canelo, i think it’s hard to beat him just touching him over and over at range. he’s GOING to hit you with something much harder in return, though maybe only once or twice.

Its tough to give Canelo 7 rounds but 6 is definitely doable and it wasnt corrupt although the media narrative suggests it was a lopsided robbery - it wasnt

Jim Lampleys affection for Pacquiao was creepy , IMO. The guy would literally burst into tears watching him fight. Something was wrong with the guy.

Phillipines is like Thailand in terms of....ladyboys...And we all know Lampley liked to drink and hit his women. Who knows?!?! XD XD XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FELIPETHEEAGLEVEIGA
Back