You vs The World (bad decisions you agree with)

BoxingMMA

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So I am bored and it’s 1 AM and I was thinking about how there are at least a few decisions that I kinda like how they turned out even though everybody and their mothers disagreed with. Deep inside I know I am probably wrong yet something about them going the way they did feels right, i guess I just like how salty it makes everyone.

I am sure you all have a few of those in your arsenal, I don’t mean controversial decisions that could have gone either way, no, I mean bullshit fucking decisions on the level of Holyfield vs Lewis but for some reason you like the result, and of course state your HATER reasoning.

So here are a couple.

I love that Whitaker didn’t get the win against Chavez, I was 13 at the time and my dad took me to see the fight live, I was fucking pumped I was going to see Chavez kick some ass and all I saw, in my 13 year old brain, was a guy trying to hit a guy who all he could do is get away for 12 rounds. Yes, even me at that age knew deep inside that Chavez was schooled (even I knew at that time Chavez looked like absolute shit and shouldn’t even be in that weight class but whatever) when they announced the draw I knew it was bullshit yet I knew it was fucking RIGHT, yes, fuck it, you can’t win by being a sissy!

Oh right, and to a much lesser degree Oscar vs Trinidad, that fight was also a horseshit decision but I’m fucking glad it was scored that way, Oscar at some point was literally running from Tito, not boxing, running, that was pathetic and neither fighter should have been awarded a win by such shit performances but I am glad they didn’t give it to the running man.

Well there ya go, feel free to flame but share your own.

This is a really tough question to answer because both sides can argue for why their fighters won the way they did, even though the vast majority of the boxing fans thought it was a bad decision.

Editing. I didn't read the question properly.

Great, now this question is super tricky because you can argue for things like Holyfield vs Lewis and GGG vs Canelo 1 since both fights were set so that there could be rematches, but...

can you make the argument that to beat the champ, you have to actually beat the champ in those fights and a close decision won't cut it in a championship fight?

I don’t mind the superior fighter‘s getting fucked over if he gets lazy. Oscar vs Tito, Pernell vs Chavez, Fury vs Wilder I, Pac vs Bradley I, etc.

Of course they could/should have gotten the nod. But if you’re the better guy you’ve got to show it consistently provided you actually want to secure the cards. You’re basically making millions for a show that will last less than an hour, just put on the goddamn work.

Oh, and from a pure hater standpoint I didn’t mind Charlo’s questionable loss to Harrison.

Last edited:
I don’t mind the superior fighter‘s getting fucked over if he gets lazy. Oscar vs Tito, Pernell vs Chavez, Fury vs Wilder I, Pac vs Bradley I, etc.

Of course they could/should have gotten the nod. But if you’re the better guy you’ve got to show it consistently. You’re basically making millions for a show that will last less than an hour.

Oh, and from a pure hater standpoint I didn’t mind Charlo’s questionable loss to Harrison.
I’m with you on Fury/ Wilder 1. Fury tried to coast in a couple of the middle rounds which saw Wilder establish an effective jab. That made those rounds hard for me to score, and by extension made the whole fight difficult to score.

You have tightly contested fights and then you have fights in which one guy is clearly coasting after a certain point, doing just enough in a close fight not to lose, but not really putting an exclamation point on the performance. The latter really annoys me. A fight like Canelo/Lara comes to mind. I know Lara probably should’ve won but it felt like he could’ve done more to cement the victory but chose not to. For that reason, I didn’t mind Canelo taking it.

Trinidad-De La Hoya was not a bs decision, it was a close fight where one fighter threw away the last 4 rounds

HBO and Arum screamed robbery and everybody followed suit, if hbo and the press would have said the opposite then the public would have been happy with the decision, that’s the power of suggestion

Last edited:

Of course they could/should have gotten the nod. But if you’re the better guy you’ve got to show it consistently if you want to secure the cards. You’re basically making millions for a show that will last less than an hour.

I only feel this way when the defending fighter is someone I don’t like. <45>

I like fury so I hated their draw but if I disliked fury I’d love that decision… hater confessions.

Pac/Bradley was a draw to me so I thought the split decision 115/113 for either guy was about right. Fighting for 30 seconds of each round was a bad strategy for Pac.

Golovkin vs Derevyechenko- I remember scoring that fight live here and people had Sergei winning but I didn't think it was close at all.

On Whitaker vs Chavez- I always said I agreed Whitaker was the better guy in the ring that day but was it the worst robbery I ever saw, as some claim? No, not even close.

I think at times, fans go into fights expecting their favorite guy to get jobbed and then they focus only on what their guy is doing to win and don't see why they're actually losing.

Fury/Wilder 1 decision wasn't controversial at all, IMO. 2 10-8 rounds. Those early rounds in that fight were as even as could be. To say that fight was a blowout for Fury just means you were actively trying not to score it for Wilder.

....it was a close fight......

HBO and Arum screamed robbery and everybody followed suit,
Basically the case with probably 90% of the fights people call robberies.

Trinidad-De La Hoya was not a bs decision, it was a close fight where one fighter threw away the last 4 rounds

HBO and Arum screamed robbery and everybody followed suit, if hbo and the press would have said the opposite then the public would have been happy with the decision, that’s the power of suggestion
Lederman scored DLH/Trinidad a draw live on air, the commentators didn't really treat it as a robbery
They more so acted like DLH threw the fight away rather than Tito winning it, which is fair criticism given DLH literally running for the last 4 rounds.
Either way, the decision wasn't a robbery in my eyes and it might be the most disappointing fight of all time. Of all the amazing fights those 2 had you would never guess their match up would wind up a bit of a dud

You have tightly contested fights and then you have fights in which one guy is clearly coasting after a certain point, doing just enough in a close fight not to lose, but not really putting an exclamation point on the performance. The latter really annoys me. A fight like Canelo/Lara comes to mind. I know Lara probably should’ve won but it felt like he could’ve done more to cement the victory but chose not to. For that reason, I didn’t mind Canelo taking it.
I take it you probably were not a fan of Winky Wright

Fury Wilder 1 is a close fight, I had it clear for Fury but it was close, then you add the fact that fury was milliseconds away from losing by KO and it feels that much closer. There’s a reason they fought 3 times. Well that and dumbass clauses

I feel a lot of people turned a blind eye to how close Oscar va Floyd was. I for one thought that fight was a draw and 100% deserved a rematch. Bob Sheridan who is a horrifyingly notorious Floyd nutthugger and was going for Floyd in that fight badly actually ended up giving it a draw, the fight was close yet it seemed like everybody was fine with never having a rematch and going with the narrative that Floyd completely owned and dominated Oscar.

I personally do not give a fuck about that fight but that was definitely a strange one

I feel a lot of people turned a blind eye to how close Oscar va Floyd was. I for one thought that fight was a draw and 100% deserved a rematch. Bob Sheridan who is a horrifyingly notorious Floyd nutthugger and was going for Floyd in that fight badly actually ended up giving it a draw, the fight was close yet it seemed like everybody was fine with never having a rematch and going with the narrative that Floyd completely owned and dominated Oscar.

I personally do not give a fuck about that fight but that was definitely a strange one
neither guy really did shit in that fight. mayweather landed the cleaner shots at range. DLH consistently let go with 12 punch combos, of which, one punch would land. the only fighter who got hurt in the fight was oscar as well.

neither guy really did shit in that fight. mayweather landed the cleaner shots at range. DLH consistently let go with 12 punch combos, of which, one punch would land. the only fighter who got hurt in the fight was oscar as well.
I remember the fight this way:

Oscar did very little until the end of the round. At that point he threw a flurry of punches in hopes of leaving a positive mark with the judges.

Repeat for multiple rounds.

I think neither fighter did anything remotely significant to actually hurt the other but Floyd has the one clean right hand that popped Oscar’s head back and they kept replaying it over and over.

Floyd also landed some good right hands off the shoulder roll but Oscar powered through them, couldn’t connect on Floyd for shit tho

Another I absolutely love is Calzhage beating BHop. That fight wasn’t a robbery or anything, it was the right call but people were salty as fuck about that one because Joe pretty much “outhopkinsed” Hopkins by making the fight even uglier and tougher for hop than hop usually did for his opponents. Joe was a smart dude, he frustrated both Roy and Hop doing exactly what they did to their opponents.

Back