• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

You probably won't guess what the highest grossing film of the year is (before Star Wars comes out)

Yeah. I think there’s something out there for everyone. Even if there a lot of dumb blockbusters, I think they are a necessary component. It seems pretty safe to say that fewer people go to the movies now than a decade or twenty years ago because the vast array of streaming services. If it takes blockbusters that put asses in the sears to keep the theater experience going than I’m all for it. Last thing I want is for movie theaters to go the way of the dodo.

This time of year is usually great for seeing the awards caliber movies. I’ve checked out Lady Bird and Three Billboards so far. Quality stuff.

Agreed on blockbusters.

Frankly, I would be a hypocrite if I joined in the anti-blockbuster rhetoric. I like a "big movie" experience.

I mean, I'll fight anyone who says that Independence Day isn't a good film.

One of the issues is

These good movies like Shape of Water for example only get released in like 800 theaters max

Nobody has access to these movies.

I live in LA so I might have better access to these movies then other people do but what about people who dont live next to a big city?

Here's what I can tell you:

My dad lives in Madison, MS, which is a suburb of Jackson, which has a metro area of about 600,000 people. And his nearest theater right now has Lady Bird and Three Billboards.

That's pretty small as far as cities go. But I'm not sure how much smaller you can go before you're fucked and just not getting anything but the big films.

And Tron falls farther and farther back into the pit of misery

<2>

Yeah, it sucks. Obviously I'd rather have Tron 3 than a fucking Dumbo movie.

Just goes to show you that at the end of the day this shit really is a business first.

They are similar in terms of the broad strokes, but you can't really say that Guardians of the Galaxy is anything like The Dark Knight. Or that Deadpool doesn't offer a different experience from Captain America: Winter Soldier.

I've done my share of bitching about superhero movies before, but I still go see them and most of the time they deliver an entertaining experience.

Bad guy v good guy.

Bad guy threatens the world they live in and good guy comes to the rescue.

Movie is over.

You’re welcome.

And people wonder why Disney is making live versions of all their animated movies.

Rooker like a m’fer. Stole the damn movie right out from everybody.

What wasn’t to like exactly. The guardians themselves were awesome just like in the first one. big Dave was consistently hilarious, Gamora/Nebula interplay was good, Rocket was funny, there was a lot of mileage out of Baby Groot and he never became annoying to me and Quill was solid as well.

Russell was a compelling villain in my opinion. I know a lot of people didn’t like it, but I really felt that was a good slow burn to the big reveal that he was not legitimately in love with Quills mom and had just been fornicating across the universe looking for progeny he could mold in his image. Real messed up stuff. That was some Mr. Glass-esque end justifies the means type shit.

I thought it was a bit over the top with him giving the mom her terminal disease. I see what they were going for but almost thought it would have been more resonant for Quill to realize that Ego really had no loyalty to his mother and she was just one among many.

I thought the sequence where Yondoo took out the rest of Ravegers was awesome. And it was preceded by that funny scene where Groot keeps screwing up getting the crest. That took me right back to Looney Tunes cartoons from my youth.

Big final scene was fun too.

Strong 7.5-8/10 for me.
I wasn't sold on it the first time I saw it, but I just watched it on Netflix last night and I've changed my mind.
Now I rank it above Spidey Homecoming like @heavyarms21

Bad guy v good guy.

Bad guy threatens the world they live in and good guy comes to the rescue.

Movie is over.

You’re welcome.

I can't remember who it was that said, when you really start breaking it down, there are only like eight stories in the world.

We just find different ways to tell those stories.

I wasn't sold on it the first time I saw it, but I just watched it on Netflix last night and I've changed my mind.

I liked Spidey a lot as well but probably Guardians slightly above it. Ragnarok right on par with them- maybe slightly above both. But all close.

What’s your thoughts on Doctor Strange again. I think that was actually my favorite non team up Marvel movie in the past three years or so (meaning I liked Civil War better). Loved that one. Best standalone since original Guardians to me.

It's great isn't it . I gotta give Credit to Gunn. I watched the 1st GOTG back to back with this and the Yondu arc is very enjoyable you can see how in the 1st movie Yondu would be pretty subtle about trying find reasons to give Quill an out.

It's great isn't it . I gotta give Credit to Gunn. I watched the 1st GOTG back to back with this and the Yondu arc is very enjoyable you can see how in the 1st movie Yondu would be pretty subtle about trying find reasons to give Quill an out.
Its solid. Such a great cast. Amazing chemistry.
Batista is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most in Infinity War.

Tron deserved to make 800 million

Agreed.

You know what's interesting is that the film is often talked about as something of a failure, but it made $400 million. Then you have home video rentals and sales on top of that, merchandising, etc. I'm sure when it was all said and done it made some money for Disney.

I liked Spidey a lot as well but probably Guardians slightly above it. Ragnarok right on par with them- maybe slightly above both. But all close.

What’s your thoughts on Doctor Strange again. I think that was actually my favorite non team up Marvel movie in the past three years or so (meaning I liked Civil War better). Loved that one. Best standalone since original Guardians to me.

I wasn't a fan of Dr. Strange. It had its moments, but I think they dropped the ball.
Making Strange too similar to Tony Stark, shit villain, white woman as Ancient One, and the nurse instead of Cleo.
It was still better than the first 2 Thors, though.

So all told, in the Top 5 we have one Disney movie, one action extravaganza, one animated children's film, and two superhero movies.

And then at #6 we have some Chinese shit.
Considering Disney owns Marvel, I count 3 Disney movies.

And people wonder why Disney is making live versions of all their animated movies.

Lol. Good call.

But I don’t think anybody wonders it. I think a lot of people are just decrying it- as though it’s a shameless cash grab or somehow tainting their childhood. Look if it entertains a new generation of youths it’s all good in my opinion. Plus you will have some good along with the shit I’m sure.

I saw the Jungle Book and it was legitimately a fun film.

Interested to see what they do with Aladdin but I feel The Rock would have been a much better choice than Will Smith for The Genie.

The Lion King is one that makes no sense to me though. I mean makes total sense from a let’s make an assload of money standpoint but I don’t see how doing it the way they did the Jungle Book really brings much to the table. When there are human characters the live action seems more logical to me. lion king is only animal characters- so you are going pure animation to pure cgi.

I dont think it is surprising that Beauty and the Beast is #1... I mean as soon as I read the thread title I knew it had to be a kid's movie.... all girls 15 and under (prob til 4) wanted to see that movie, and they all took their parents and family.... hell even add all the adult women who saw the cartoon movie and wanted to see it too, add their boyfriends and husbands. Sorry dude but I dont see anything surprising that Beauty and the beast is #1, it actually makes a lot of sense

Considering Disney owns Marvel, I count 3 Disney movies.

I meant "Disney movie" . . . not simply a movie that was in some way produced under the Disney umbrella.

You know, a movie for kids about princesses and talking animals and shit. A fucking Disney movie.

Agreed.

You know what's interesting is that the film is often talked about as something of a failure, but it made $400 million. Then you have home video rentals and sales on top of that, merchandising, etc. I'm sure when it was all said and done it made some money for Disney.

With a budget of 20 million I think they could make a good tron movie.. Hear me out

The way they set up the end of the last movie is fucking perfect for low budget. The Grid is gone and they are in the real world now

Tron 3 could take place most of it in the real world and that saves you a crap ton of money already.

You could set up a lot of the movie in ENCOM. It could be like a Wall Street style thriller and shit

Obviously you will have some shit with them making a new grid or saving the old one so it will still be TRON

Shit man give me the money and I'll start filming next week

Back