You get a job offer that seems beyond you

Take it. Transform into a member of a protected class. Stack cash as they will be too afraid to fire you.

Absolutely take it. I'd say about 50% of people I've dealt with in the business world are clearly way in over their heads and are just making shit up as they go along.

I took a similar offer, and it is still working out for me a year and a half later.

What field? In most fields, I'd say the majority of positions are trainable. In addition to that, most that are "qualified" still need trained to figure out how the company handles things differently.

Do you take it because you can fake it till you make it? And then just try like hell to learn everything you need to know before they realize you suck?

OR

Do you turn it down because you're just setting yourself up for failure, and you're going to be under a crazy amount of stress trying to learn years worth of skills in weeks?

i started a new job three weeks ago, and didn't think i had what it took to perform. i think a lot really depends on the company and whether they like your attitude and want you around. i took a job at a prestigious university around five years ago, and i hated my boss. the guy was a piece of crap who expected me to know everything on the first day. in my current job, my boss is super cool, along with my co-workers. if they like you as a person, they will go out of their way to be patient with you. no matter how much you know about your profession, there is always a learning curve with any new job.

Do you take it because you can fake it till you make it? And then just try like hell to learn everything you need to know before they realize you suck?

OR

Do you turn it down because you're just setting yourself up for failure, and you're going to be under a crazy amount of stress trying to learn years worth of skills in weeks?

I did this 9 years ago when I got out of engineering and into sales. Had a hell of a first year, travel, stress, shit I didn't understand. I've had a few roles since, started a new one a few months ago and my experience has helped an awful lot, I find this role quite easy. Plus my salary is more than double since i was doing engineering.

So yes, give it a crack. As long as you have some sort of fallback plan nothing wrong with taking a risk.

It’s a good question. Honestly, in my current situation I do not take the job. However, I have been in situations before in which I would take that leap and just work and study like hell to make it.

it’s super stressful having to learn a new job in the first place. Having to learn a new skill set at the same time is worse.

I don't have the self confidence to deal with a situation like that.

I get slandered everyday and get my property destroyed at work and no one does anything

Is anyone going to get hurt from you not knowing what you are doing?

Is anyone going to lose a tonne of money, their job or bust the business because you are faking it?

If not, go for it.

OR

It's a basic function of the Peter principle. If you do a good job you get promoted to a higher paying job and if you do well in that position, you get promoted to another until you are put in a job you aren't good at where you are either left struggling in that position or fired. They don't let employees go back to the job they were good at because they have already filled that with someone else. I've noticed that the closer you get to the top, the closer you get to the exit door.

Back