You get a job offer that seems beyond you

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Do you take it because you can fake it till you make it? And then just try like hell to learn everything you need to know before they realize you suck?

OR

Do you turn it down because you're just setting yourself up for failure, and you're going to be under a crazy amount of stress trying to learn years worth of skills in weeks?

If the job has something to do with life or death situations I wouldn’t take it.

If it’s less serious than that, you could take the job and see how you actually fit into the role rather than avoiding it because you’re intimidated by it. Maybe it will turn out as you suspect; in over your head. Or maybe you will discover you’re happier than ever.

Yep! If I'm somewhere that means I deserve to be there. F imposter syndrome.

I've convinced myself that I'm never going to be somewhere I do not deserve to be... I'm FAR more likely to miss out on things I am qualified for than I am to get something or somewhere I don't deserve to be.

I'll talk to my boss about it and see if I can come bavk to my current place if I crash and burn over there. If he says go for it, then I'll go for it.

When I had been doing comedy for a year I got offered $300 to do 25 minutes of comedy. At the time I had about 8 minutes of passable material. I accepted the gig and spent the night before writing as much as I could, got to about 15 mins of prepared material. Gig went ok, it was a cooperate/private thing and those always suck, so I was able to just kind of goof around to reach my allotted time. Glad I did it though, always go for it imo.

I've never had a job that doesn't train you for that position...

Mostly i would do it.
MONEY.
My current job is alot more involved and harder than the last one I had,but its like almost double the money

I pass on any company job. Fuck that time eating machine and fuck their "benefits" to cage me into a 40+ week till the end of my precious life just to earn 3,5-4,5k a month in my country I can then freely spend on insurances, credits and a new supersized Flatscreen to die mentally on my couch after said, lovely company job.

When I had been doing comedy for a year I got offered $300 to do 25 minutes of comedy. At the time I had about 8 minutes of passable material. I accepted the gig and spent the night before writing as much as I could, got to about 15 mins of prepared material. Gig went ok, it was a cooperate/private thing and those always suck, so I was able to just kind of goof around to reach my allotted time. Glad I did it though, always go for it imo.
Brendan Schaub? Is it really you?

As someone in the corporate world filled with folks with degrees and certifications for various things, and having none of those, I can safely say almost everyone is faking it till they make it. Seriously.

Get your ass in there and give it a shot. Better to regret something you did, than something you didn't do.

At meetings just pretend you're taking notes, nod your help every so often and say I concur in agreement.

Of course you take it... I'm guessing you got the job because you have some transferrable skills. There's always going to be a learning curve at a job. Sometimes they're just a bit steeper.

Take it. Got an offer for a position that I thought was way over my head. Talked to the wife about and she said if it doesn't work out we'll figure it out. I took the job and it was one of the best decisions ever. Once in I figured I would just out work everyone until my technical skills caught up. I did get lucky that it was with a great group of people and our personalities were compatible.

You can prove your worth by either being smart or by out working everyone until your skills catch up.

Back