'You either retire a GSP or Khabib, or compete long enough to become a Tony Ferguson.'

I don't compare GSP to Khabib whatsoever. GSP fought for many years, beat all comers, avenged both his losses, then retired. Came back several years later and won the MW belt. One of the greats of all time undisputed. Khabib doesn't hold a candle to GSP. His only claim is his undefeated record of which less than half was in the UFC, and a measly 3 title defenses.

It depends on who would have won, though...
Anderson's decision not to move down and fight GSP for the WW belt is also a decision that is impossible to call wise or unwise, because we have no idea how he would have performed against St-Pierre.

The difference is that Anderson had fought multiple times at WW in the past, and would later offer to go down in weight to fight Conor at catch-weight (fans were speculating that Anderson's addiction to steroids was what made it impossible for him to go down to 170 like he used to, but he seemed confident that he could do it for Conor).

And why was Khabib added to that quote? Dude was just comparing GSP & Tony, he never mentioned Khabib (who is also a top 10 GOAT, but the Sherdog official poll is clear; he's not top 5...
number 1: GSP
number 2: Fedor
number 3: Jones
number 4: Anderson
number 5: Mighty Mouse
)

Putting quotation marks around a modified quote is serious business

"Your OP is interesting.... but lets change the subject to dozen others we've discussed a billion times over the last 17 years."

<{hughesimpress}>

I’m going to say at least Tony hasn’t got KTFO dead in a parking lot without a purse, but there’s still plenty of time.

Add that GSP absolutely ran the gamut and cleaned out his division, then came back to win the belt next class up. Khabib had to retire after only being able to make Abu Dubai weight class, which is fine and understandable that he was never intended to fight up, down or sideways after Abdulmanap passed away. He should get a pass for that and not be subjected to comparisons.

Last edited:
Arlovski disagrees…

Arlovski, for some reason, is an interesting and unique situation.

For some reason Dana keeps him around, paying him BIG show-up money to be a gatekeeper of the Top12 of the weakest division of the mens divisions. His performances haven't even been impressive for the last 8-9 years, he has his share of wins & losses, and those who beat him don't necessarily get a big boost in their momentum.

I remember 12 years ago we were saying 'He needs to retire.' Thankfully he didn't listen.

He's the only MMA fighter left that fought in the 90s, 2000s, 2010s, and almost halfway through the 2020s.

Most dont even have the option to choose that. Kudos to those gentlemen.

It's probably a very tough decision to make if you're a wildly talented, successful fighter who still loves fighting/competing as much as when you began the journey. The love and support of your fan base, the spirit of competition, the personal challenge, the glory would all be extremely enticing reasons for some to go on, I'm sure. I've never stepped in that world personally, but I could understand a sort of achievement addiction for the ones at the very top.

Thread/

I don't compare GSP to Khabib whatsoever. GSP fought for many years, beat all comers, avenged both his losses, then retired. Came back several years later and won the MW belt. One of the greats of all time undisputed. Khabib doesn't hold a candle to GSP. His only claim is his undefeated record of which less than half was in the UFC, and a measly 3 title defenses.

He also never lost a round except to Conor.

Khabib will be forgotten and quickly lol ...
yeah ok he was only the victor in the biggest MMA fight in the sports history,and his best bud is LW champ

The Dagestanis arent going anywhere.

Keep your wet dream fan fiction relegated to PM's with others suffering from PTSD since Oct 2018

Last edited:
GSP and Khabib both fought with a generally risk averse approach.

Volk and (even more so) Ferguson do not.
Yes,because everyone knows,coming right at someone the whole time is "risk averse."

<36>

p8Wj92@facebook.gif

Anyone who believes that needs to rewatch the Tibau fight.

Very questionable decision by the judges, and I say that as a Khabib fan.
It was a close fight where neither guy achieved much,but Khabib actually tried harder. You cant bitch about losing a dec when you stay w your back against the cage defending TD's. Just ask Jose Aldo.

Anyone who believes that needs to rewatch the Tibau fight.

Very questionable decision by the judges, and I say that as a Khabib fan.

Tibau didn’t win that fight. He did no damage and Khabib had octagon control. Neither fighter did anything but Khabib at least grinded him on the cage.

Tibau didn’t win that fight. He did no damage and Khabib had octagon control. Neither fighter did anything but Khabib at least grinded him on the cage.
Fuck I agree with this guy on something? The world is coming to an end. Time to get outta here.

Who cares about public status, the hardcore fans are supposed to be the ones who treat them no differently win or lose. We will remember Tony and Volk for what they were, not degrade them because they declined like every single other fighter in history before them.

We shouldn't anoint someone just because they have a nice record, and we shouldn't degrade those who are strong enough to continue giving us great shows to watch.

Long time fans all know the score, I don't care if your Jones, GSP, Khabib, etc. If you keep fighting you're going to get wrecked, let's just keep it real and pay respect to those who entertain us for longer periods of time.

If Khabib went up to WW and got absolute knocked the fuck out by Usman, would you look at him differently? If the answer is yes then that's part of the issue, we praise people who are undefeated but then when they challenge themselves and lose all of a sudden, they aren't as good anymore? Some fighters are willing to unveil the curtain and see what they are really made of, and some aren't.

Last edited:
It was a close fight where neither guy achieved much,but Khabib actually tried harder. You cant bitch about losing a dec when you stay w your back against the cage defending TD's. Just ask Jose Aldo.

Regardless, 'trying harder' isn't in the scoring criteria.

Tibau won one, if not two, of the rounds.

Anyone that watches that fight and claims Khabib won all three rounds is a Khabib nuthugger.

I'm a Khabib fan, but I'm not delusional of his entire record. And there's a respectable argument Khabib won the 3rd round against McGregor, but it was very close. Most like to give it to Conor because it wasn't a blowout round for Khabib like rounds 1&2.

Regardless, 'trying harder' isn't in the scoring criteria.

Tibau won one, if not two, of the rounds.

Anyone that watches that fight and claims Khabib won all three rounds is a Khabib nuthugger.

I'm a Khabib fan, but I'm not delusional of his entire record. And there's a respectable argument Khabib won the 3rd round against McGregor, but it was very close. Most like to give it to Conor because it wasn't a blowout round for Khabib like rounds 1&2.
Defending takedowns isnt scored either.

Defending takedowns isnt scored either.

Depends on the defense of the TD, it can be included under 'Octagon Control.'

If a fighter is constantly going for TDs, and failing, throughout the round it can be hard to give it to him.

Regardless, this subject is changing the subject of the thread.

Khabib did even less, though. At least Tibau took Khabib down and did more damage =>

Round 1
Nurmagomedov circles the perimeter throwing single punches over thetop while Tibau throws more compact punches, with neither finding success in the opening 90 seconds. Quick high kick flashed by Nurmagomedov but it’s deflected as the lightweights work in the middle of the cage now. Nurmagomedov grabs a single-leg and bulliesTibau into the fence to try and finish the takedown. Tibau defends well and Nurmagomedov can’t finish against the cage. Tibau is denied on a single-leg of his own inside the last minute, then hops around to defend one from Nurmagomedov. The Russian stays after it,can’t get it and settles for a knee in the clinch as they exit.

Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Tibau
Tristen Critchfield scores the round 10-9 Tibau
Chris Nelson scores the round 10-9 Tibau

Round 2
It’s tentative striking through the first minute of round two, with Nurmagomedov swiping at the body and Tibau finally throwing ablocked body kick. Single-leg try from Tibau is stuffed and Nurmagomedov goes for one of his own on the fence. Tibau does wellto keep his balance once again, hopping around on one leg while throwing punches and breaking off with a knee. Tibau muscles Nurmagomedov to the ground, but the Russian hops back up and goesright after the single again. Tibau puts his back on the fence andshuts it down again. Nurmagomedov lets up on the takedown try for amoment, just long enough to land three punches over the top, his hardest offense of the fight. Ref Mario Yamasaki splits them up amoment later, 50 seconds left in the round. Nurmagomedov misses wide with a lead uppercut and gets put on the canvas face-first,but Tibau lets him back up. Nurmagomedov continues to miss with his punches in the closing seconds but finds a right hand before thehorn.

Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Tibau
Tristen Critchfield scores the round 10-9 Tibau
Chris Nelson scores the round 10-9 Tibau

Round 3
Both guys paw and miss with punches both short and long in the opening minute of the final frame. Nurmagomedov has a high kick deflected off Tibau’s forearms but snaps one low on the Brazilian’s legs. Waistlock on the fence turns into yet another single-leg by Nurmagomedov, and again Tibau stays vertical, punishing with knees inside as he does. Nurmagomedov breaks off and scores a right handbut is taken down by Tibau soon after. Tibau spins to try and take the back, can’t secure it and allows Nurmagomedov back to his feet. Nurmagomedov pushes Tibau into the cage again and ref Yamasaki warns the K Dojo fighter not to grab the fence as he keeps Tibau in place. Tibau breaks off with about 80 seconds left in the fight.Tibau stands in front of Nurmagomedov and nods out of the way ofthe Russian’s wild haymakers, occasionally scoring with a counter and stuffing one last takedown before the end of the bout.

Jordan Breen scores the round 10-10 (30-28 Tibau)
Tristen Critchfield scores the round 10-9 Tibau (30-27 Tibau)
Chris Nelson scores the round 10-9 Tibau (30-27 Tibau)

Official result: All three judges score the bout 30-27 for the winner by unanimous decision, Khabib Nurmagomedov. The crowd boos the baffling verdict as Nurmagomedov tears up. Tibau looks rightfully incredulous when the winner’s name is read.

MEDIA SCORES
Nurmagomedov​

Jordan Breen
Sherdog.com
Tibau​

Tristen Critchfield
Sherdog.com
Tibau​
Chris Nelson
Sherdog.com
Tibau​
Shaun Al-Shatti
MMAFighting.com
Tibau​
Tibau​
Interestingly, the only media to have scored the fight for Khabib, MMAJunkie, scored round 2 for Tibau also had this to say about the fight: "Certainly wouldn’t hate a draw here in what turned out to be a bit of a stalemate in terms of action."

"Khabib won all 3 rounds against Tibau" is pure revisionist history & cope.

But, but Khabib is a pussy and a coward for wanting to retire and not lose!

Back