Yoel Romero vs Jon Jones

It's the most interesting fight for Jon at LHW.

I don't think you quite see the bigger picture my friend, to me this analysis is just weak and short sighted. I don't think he would beat Jones for the record, but you are not giving Yoel anywhere near the credit he deserves.

Brunson happened 5 years ago, there's no point even bringing that up.

Whittaker, along with Yoel is one of the best MW's we've seen thus far.

At the end of the day, styles make fights. Yoel Is a similar style matchup for Jones as DC, In that they're both legitimate wrestlers who can box / strike.

Yoel Is more dangerous as a striker than DC is though I feel, far more explosive and unpredictable, along with being the best wrestler we've ever had in MMA..though It can be argued DC has the superior MMA wrestling.

Again, you are In no way giving Yoel the credit he deserves. more than Half the MMA population believes he beat Whittaker, he certainly beat the living shit out of him In that 2nd fight.

Regardless of what you seem to think, he's a championship level fighter. Without question. This is just poor analysis on your part and I think you need to re-evaluate some of the things you believe.
DC And Yoel are not similar at all, except they both come from a wrestling bacground. DC was not able to outwrestle Jones, And Yoel is more than often not able to outwrestle mws.

What DC has that Yoel doesn’t is 15 to 20 lbs on Jones. That is a huge advantage. I agree Yoel is a more dangerous striker than DC in general, And Jones was never in any trouble vs DC or needed to be careful, but I just don’t see how Yoel can beat Jones. Even the Flash ko/fluke seems unlikely to me. I don’t see Romero surviving one round, And it usually takes him a while to get started.

For the record, I think Jones loses to several big HWs, like Ngannou, Overeem, Struve.

He got knocked out by Calvalcante at 205 pounds lol. Jones would make quick work of him. Romero honestly doesn't have the greatest MMA takedown defence and Jones length would be a huge problem standing or on the mat
I doubt Yoel cares if he gets taken down, he knows he'll just stand back up.

Cavalcante fight was 7 years ago. He was green and It was his first high level fight in MMA. Sherdog collectively needs to stop bringing up old fights as If they're actually relevant to the discussion.

Last edited:
I doubt Yoel cares if he gets taken down, he knows he'll just stand back up.

Cavalcante fight was 7 years ago. He as green and It was his first high level fight in MMA. Sherdog collectively needs to stop bringing up old fights as If they're actually relevant to the discussion.
I don't disagree with you about that but it's hard to think that this fight goes any other way than Jones dominating. Jones has the striking, grappling and submission advantages. Jones also has a hell of a chin

DC And Yoel are not similar at all, except they both come from a wrestling bacground. DC was not able to outwrestle Jones, And Yoel is more than often not able to outwrestle mws.

What DC has that Yoel doesn’t is 15 to 20 lbs on Jones. That is a huge advantage. I agree Yoel is a more dangerous striker than DC in general, And Jones was never in any trouble vs DC or needed to be careful, but I just don’t see how Yoel can beat Jones. Even the Flash ko/fluke seems unlikely to me. I don’t see Romero surviving one round, And it usually takes him a while to get started.

For the record, I think Jones loses to several big HWs, like Ngannou, Overeem, Struve.
If Jones decided to move up to HW and fight DC, he'd probably gain 15 pounds of muscle. There wouldn't really be much of a size advantage, I doubt DC would want to go into that fight over 240 as It would only hurt him.

at LHW, Jones was the bigger fighter In the cage against DC the 2nd time they fought.

Yoel and DC's stylistic similarity Is that they're both high level wrestlers who can box / strike, DC is arguably the better MMA wrestler or perhaps has the cardio to utilize It more effectively. I don't think he'd be able to outwrestle Jones or probably even get him down, but on paper he's the only fighter in MMA who could at this point.

I don't think Yoel would beat him, but again.. I don't think anyone beats Jones at this point. There are very few Interesting opponents for him that could actually challenge him and Yoel Is definitely one of them.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you about that but it's hard to think that this fight goes any other way than Jones dominating. Jones has the striking, grappling and submission advantages. Jones also has a hell of a chin
I agree

I suppose It's just the wild card factor Yoel brings to the table that makes the fight Intriguing

I just wanna see Jones fighting guys of similar stature since they give him the best fights. I fully welcome Jones vs Reyes, Smith, Volkan, and Walker.

If Yoel was a dominant MW, you could have a case, but he is not a dominant mw. He is not even the champ, even if he got a few tries. He often struggle in his fights. Jones is not Brunson or Whittaker or Jacare or Kennedy... And Yoel struggled with all of them.

Jones is the scariest fighter in the UFC at the moment.
Piss off you poor troll. What are these Yoel struggles? Only Kennedy made him look mortal in ufc by the luck of a glove grab, in all other cases he was only losing slightly on points and not by some sort of heavy damage domination by the other fighter. It's quite the opposite. When Yoel goes out to win, his opponents drop unconscious and leave salty jaded trolls like you.

They both absorb plenty of shots

Romero walks around the octagon absorbing shots just waiting until he can land a big shot

Jones would pick him apart from the outside

No, not at all. He is a good fighter, And him exploding, And coming from behind is always fun And impressive... but I doubt he survives a round vs Jones. He struggles with a lot of mws, And Jones is miles ahead of Brundon or Whittaker. That is why I think it is silly for a mw to try And fight him. Especially when he is not even champ.
He absolutely hurts his opponents and they are rarely ever the same person. The only guy who has not had issues is Brunson because he was TKO’d via elbows to the ribs instead of elbows to the head

Last edited:
Yeah I think it will take someone at HW to beat Jones.

I thought you Dutchies understood dry humour

giphy.gif
maybe its because I'm very close to the German border and they are well known for lacking in humour

Easy victory for Jones. Yoel has bad timing & hits way too much on air.

Romero couldn't beat Whittaker after two attempts, you have to be insane to think he has a better or any chance against Jones.
How did Cavalcante do against Yoel the last time he fought at LHW.

If Yoel was a dominant MW, you could have a case, but he is not a dominant mw. He is not even the champ, even if he got a few tries. He often struggle in his fights. Jones is not Brunson or Whittaker or Jacare or Kennedy... And Yoel struggled with all of them.

Jones is the scariest fighter in the UFC at the moment.
Yoel is the second most dominant MW in the division. He's 13/3, 11 ko's in 16 fights. His last loss I think he won that fight versus whittaker on the amount of damage and knockdowns he put on Whittaker in the final rounds of the fight.

Yoel has beaten Rockhold (ex ufc mw champ), Weidman (ex ufc mw champ), Souza (ex strike force champ all time MMA and Jiu Jitsu great) Machida (Ex ufc lhw champion) Tim Kennedy (ex Strikeforce champ),

His list of great fighters he has knocked out in his 13 wins is absolutely astonishing.

Nobody in MW wants to fight him. I think it makes perfect sense for Romero to go up to LHW and take on Jon Jones.

Piss off you poor troll. What are these Yoel struggles? Only Kennedy made him look mortal in ufc by the luck of a glove grab, in all other cases he was only losing slightly on points and not by some sort of heavy damage domination by the other fighter. It's quite the opposite. When Yoel goes out to win, his opponents drop unconscious and leave salty jaded trolls like you.
Brunson, Jacare, Whittaker also made him seem Mortal. No need to be upset. Guys act like Yoel is running through everyone. He doesn’t, And I really don’t see him being competitive with Jones, a weightclass up. Many of his strengths will be weakened at LHW.

He absolutely hurts his opponents and they are rarely ever the same person. The only guy who has not had issues is Brunson because he TKO’s via elbows to the ribs instead of elbows to the head
His come from behind kos Are great And impressive, but he is not as dominant as some makes him out to be. Jones is.

Back