Yelling in training

Gia

White Belt
Reaction score
Today in training I had a guy torque an armbar extremely fast. For the first time since I started training (6 months) I pretty much panicked and didn't feel like I had time to even tap. I ended up just letting out a loud ah! sound and looked up to everyone wondering wtf had happened...

I don't remember ever seeing anyone else do that before, so I felt like a jackass afterwards lol...

you can verbally tap too, that's what it typically sounds like

I had that happen to me but in boxing/sparring. The dude hit me with the hardest gut shot i've ever felt i let out some type of load yelp. I looked around, no one seemed to care so we continued to spar.

yelling as a form of verbal submission is correct.

I just say Ai.

Some guys say Tap.

Some guys like to grunt trying to outmuscle our of an armbar. That would be considered a verbal submission. Any word or noise is considered a verbal submission.

Just pretend you were practicing your war face.

I almost always tap verbally as well as physically. I normally repeat the word tap, while tapping. Sometimes its just quicker, sometimes your hands might not be in a position to tap (wrapped up in the gi etc).

Better to let out a scream before he breaks your arm than after.

If someone catches you in a submission and it gets tight in a hurry, I say tap by any means necessary. Verbal, tap them, tap the mat, stamp your foot, snap your fingers if you have to. Whatever momentary embarassment could come from it is much better than being off the mats for an extended time with an injury.

Things like this happen when you are panicking.

One time I got caught fast and ended up tapping on the dudes face.

I wish I didn't do this more often then I do... but hey, I get in some pretty sticky spots when I mostly only have upper belts to roll with.

But letting out a scream is not embarrassing, as others have said. If anything it's limb saving and the fact that so many people looked probably means you're in a good gym that looks after it's own. Let your partner know you're ok and carry on as if nothing happened.

Things like this happen when you are panicking.

Once in a Kimura the only this I had to tap on was the dudes butt, but it was better than getting hurt.

In a comp this dude was triangling the shit out of me, he hooked the leg and my hands were trapped so when i went to tap with my foot i kicked him in the head like four times

Yeah, the verbal submission is infinitely better than buddy breaking your arm. The only time I ever bust it out is when somebody's got me, usually in a Russian armbar and is really starting to crank. My hands are still connected but I can feel it's over, but if I let go to tap, my arm is probably gonna get broken. Verbal tap + hanging on desperately> no jacking off for 3 months.

Last tourney I was in I let out a grunt while escaping and they stopped the match thinking it was a verbal tap. They let the match continue but it killed my momentum.

Then later I subluxed my knee and didnt get a stop even though my coach and gf saw it. Hahahaa.

Once in a Kimura the only this I had to tap on was the dudes butt, but it was better than getting hurt.

In a comp this dude was triangling the shit out of me, he hooked the leg and my hands were trapped so when i went to tap with my foot i kicked him in the head like four times

My first class, a girl caught me in a mounted guillotine, ending up tapping on her ass. As I was tapping, I realised what I was doing.

My first class, a girl caught me in a mounted guillotine, ending up tapping on her ass. As I was tapping, I realised what I was doing.

1353207649100.png

whenever im trying to slide pass and grab the lapel of this big breasted female in class i always pause for a second like ofck.

1353207649100.png

whenever im trying to slide pass and grab the lapel of this big breasted female in class i always pause for a second like ofck.

I needed that today.

I think all girls in grappling know it's part of the game and unintentional. Hopefully, anyway.

Back