Yelling in training

My first class, a girl caught me in a mounted guillotine, ending up tapping on her ass. As I was tapping, I realised what I was doing.

i will always tap on their ass, no matter the position i'm in.

he he he.

It's usually wrist locks and Kimura's that cause me to cry out.

I admit, I am a yeller. taptaptaptap! Especially with wrist locks, heel hooks and toe holds. Kimuras too sometimes. Triangles I prefer the single tap Fedor style. Also the Brazilian/Lindland shadow tap must be drilled in the gym before actually using it in competition.

Yeah, I don't scream or yell but I'm a loud verbal tapper. I'm sure it may annoy some of my training partners as I'll occasionally get the "don't worry, I was in control" afterward, but I'd rather be the loud verbal tapper guy than the guy who is always getting injured by tapping too late.

I almost always tap verbally as well as physically. I normally repeat the word tap, while tapping. Sometimes its just quicker, sometimes your hands might not be in a position to tap (wrapped up in the gi etc).

Better to let out a scream before he breaks your arm than after.

Right on.

I figure why risk getting my shoulder popped or arm broken, so i accompany a tap (on their body, never on the mat) with a "tap, tap.. tap.." or "aye aye ayyyye" lol (that's when you know you really got it)

I verbal tapped pretty loudly last night to a cutter/wristlock/large amount of pain in my forearm. It happens. Mine usually comes out as TAPTAPTAPTAP.

yeah, just say tap. the only thing tap can possibly mean is tap. keep tapping and saying tap. also, tap them, not the mat. it ain't WWE, you know?

i have no respect for people who crank through someone going 'AAAAUGH' or 'taptaptaptap'. i have even less respect for people who tap and say they didn't.

i have no respect for people who crank through someone going 'AAAAUGH' or 'taptaptaptap'.
yeah those are a mystery to me. whenever i go for anything, the only thing i'm really looking for is them making any sign that they've had enough. you usually have a very good idea about whether or not people will be able to tap. i've had guys in a triangle and their other hand was stuck inside because they were trying to defend and i told them "tap with your feet if you can't tap with the hand".

anyone who still breaks your shit even when you verbally tap - and that includes just about any loud noise that comes out of them - is an ignorant fuckhead.

I've been in sticky situations with chokes that I'm slowly working my way out of/defending and I'll inadvertently let out a grunt or gurgle and my partner will immediately let up thinking it was a verbal tap.

Good on them for keeping careful, but a majority of the times that it has happened, I probably would have ended up escaping. Oh well, it's just training. Teaches me not to get into those positions in the first place.

My first class, a girl caught me in a mounted guillotine, ending up tapping on her ass. As I was tapping, I realised what I was doing.

I'm sure I've had this happen to me against both guys and girls. If you have to tap, you have to tap.

And to OP, I remember when I first started I was rolling with someone and my fingers got rolled over and bent backwards underneath my opponent. It hurt so bad I couldn't even think to yell the word "tap" so I just kind of screamed...it was just my natural reaction. It happens to all of us at one point or another.

You know when you hear a scream like that it's a good submission :D

yeah, just say tap. the only thing tap can possibly mean is tap. keep tapping and saying tap. also, tap them, not the mat. it ain't WWE, you know?

i have no respect for people who crank through someone going 'AAAAUGH' or 'taptaptaptap'. i have even less respect for people who tap and say they didn't.

I also despise people who just refuse to tap. My rule of thumb is, if i'm having a submission being applied to me, and I can no longer move/scramble/escape I tap.

Last night I was rolling with a local MMA guy, within 20 seconds I hit him with a kneebar off of x-guard, started puling it back, felt that it was about to go to the point of no return, and I look at the guy and he was just lying there looking me in the eyes.

Whatever, I let it go, and transition into a straight ankle, same thing, I get it fully locked on and start to go to my side and once again he refuses to tap. I just decided to play my guard game for the rest of the roll, but next time I'm going to go till I hear matte/tap/stop.

you can verbally tap - when i was brazil the first time some guys would put submissions on fast and all i could do was yell "tap, tap"

some of the guys found it funny - they'd come up to me afterwards and say "chap chap..."

ha ha!

I also despise people who just refuse to tap. My rule of thumb is, if i'm having a submission being applied to me, and I can no longer move/scramble/escape I tap.

Last night I was rolling with a local MMA guy, within 20 seconds I hit him with a kneebar off of x-guard, started puling it back, felt that it was about to go to the point of no return, and I look at the guy and he was just lying there looking me in the eyes.

Whatever, I let it go, and transition into a straight ankle, same thing, I get it fully locked on and start to go to my side and once again he refuses to tap. I just decided to play my guard game for the rest of the roll, but next time I'm going to go till I hear matte/tap/stop.

in practice i'll straight-up tell people to tap, and then tell them they're being stupid for waiting until it hurts. i stop at the lock. i'll even mock people, i don't give a shit. you're not going anywhere. i've got all practice. or i'll just switch to a choke and see how long you want to fight that.

competition, you've got approximately three mississippi before i go mikey triangles on your elbow. i actually overheard two opponents discussing playing me at a tournament a few years ago, and one said 'don't tap. RJ won't break your arm.' that really, really pissed me off. up to that point i had more than a few matches where people would raise their hand to tap, and i guess wait until i broke their damn arm. i even had one guy tap, the middle ref had no idea, and a corner ref with international credentials said - honest injun - "i saw *a* tap but i don't know that he was tapping".

i footswept that kid onto his knees, put on a fedor choke, and when he started patting the mat i cranked the choke and whispered 'louder'.

now, i will honest to god stop mid-armbar and say 'one mississippi...', and everybody thus far has tapped before i got to three.

In practice, I'm not ever trying to hurt anyone. I'm super careful with any joint lock.

If you're too stupid to tap to a choke though, I'm putting you out and making fun of you when you wake up.

In competition, I've not had to deal with the issue yet. I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm a choke hunter though, so I may never have to face it.

I often verbally tap when somthing comes on faster than you can tap or mid air/rotation/transition or if you just can't get your hand out to tap or forget to use your foot

When I get caught in anything, "rolling"; rolling armbar/kneebar/kimura/etc, and if I miss the opening to escape, right away I am already saying, "taptaptaptaptap" because I know the lock is in and the next thing coming is the sprain/rip. If it isn't an in motion submission and I feel I still have the wiggle room or the submission is sloppy, I start chaining my escapes to get out of it.

I got stuck in a kimura the other day on my bad shoulder (had a reco about 6mnths ago) and I kind of freaked a bit then remembered to tap but it still took a while for the guy to let it go/realise I was tapping and my coach told me next time just to yell because people normally let go as soon as they hear a sound.

I'm not sure why.. but I always forget that I can yell to tap too! Sometimes it takes me a second to figure out which limb I can tap with.

I think I should start incorporating the simultaneous verbal/limb tap to make sure theres no confusion!

theres a guy who would do like a karate kiai whenever he threw someone lol. i thought it was funny. and one white belt who is also a boxer, and every time he switches positions he makes a "tss" sound lol

Only thing I hate about this is when guys with sloppy technique accuse you of simply refusing to tap when they don't really have it. I know when a choke is set in, and when I can still breathe. I know when my joint is locked. If it's checkmate, I'll tap. If I have options, I'm going to use them.

Unfortunately, some guys just overestimate how good their subs are, and then get frustrated if they don't get the tap. Longer the roll goes, the more force they try to put behind stuff, until finally I'm saying tap before they even lock it out just to avoid getting my arm ripped off.

Not saying some guys don't try to just hold out on tapping, but in my experience it's fairly rare. If I can't make them tap, odds are that I'm doing something wrong technically and need to adjust.

Back