Yeah... There is nearly a 0% chance Dustin Poirier fights for a title

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Even though the tough son of a bitch deserves it. I respect guys like Poirier because he's had his losses. But it's one thing to have a close loss here and there (like Dillashaw) and still think you're the best out there. Its another when you've been starched multiple times in multiple weight classes, knocked out cold, and yet you still continue an upward progression. He still has the balls to carry his confidence and continue to improve. I'll always respect Dustin for not letting the losses break him as a person or hold him back from his full potential.

That said, in the current landscape... this dude is sadly not fighting for the title.

It is pretty clear that Khabib wants to fight Conor. This is the most likely outcome at the moment. If Conor wins, you can expect a super fight against GSP or someone like Holloway at 155. There is a 0 percent chance McGregor rematches Dustin at LW. If Khabib wins, he's going to be booked to fight Tony. Everyone knows that fight needs to happen and if Khabib doesn't fight Conor, Tony is the next guy who is getting that fight.

Furthermore, Dustin will have to fight someone like Kevin Lee to hold his spot at the top of the division. That's a tough ass fight for Dustin (I know many will disagree because you hate Lee and think with your emotions). If he loses that fight, he is knocked right back down the ladder. It must fucking suck to be a top 5 LW right now.

If Connor wins and fights GSP as usual there will be a interim title fight of Ferguson vs Poirier

If Connor wins and fights GSP as usual there will be a interim title fight of Ferguson vs Poirier
That doesn't count lol.

Interims have always been a joke.. but they have never been more of a joke than they are right now.

McGregor's stock has gone up just from the guys he's beaten (IE: Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier) when he was a UFC rookie.

No way he'll fight them again now that they've evolved.

Should be next... no doubt. But fighters want to get paid and fighting Mcgregor will do that. All I can say is keep winning....

That doesn't count lol.

Interims have always been a joke.. but they have never been more of a joke than they are right now.

They may be a joke but they still come with some life changing money for the fighters, they can go from making 40/40 to make 300k in a single fight.

Good chance Dustin fights for the real title or interim.

His next opponent is either Khabib, the winner of Khabib/McGregor, or Ferguson for the interim title.

To me Ferguson is a very winnable fight for Porier. Great boxing and a gas tank that can hold up will definitely give Ferguson trouble.

Last edited:
He doesn't deserve it yet.

Conor vs Khabib is the obvious title fight.
Then Tony deserves it.

Poirier vs Lee is the fight to make. Both are 100% behind Conor, Khabib and Tony which is 2 fights.

That doesn't count lol.

Interim title increase your pay 3-4 times and guarantees you PPV points. It might be a joke to you but from a negotiation stand point they are very real.

You think Ferguson was going to make 250K/250K plus ppv points to fight Khabib without the interim title?

Poirer doesn't sell and has literally ZERO appeal....and I hope the UFC doesn't fuck the Lightweight division by giving this guy a shot!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now LightWeight, is really 4-man Grand Prix Tournament.

Khabib vs Conor

Tony Ferguson vs Kevin Lee.....even though Tony beat em, it was an amazing match, and kevin lee had a legit excuse, staph...A rematch makes sense.

Not to mention Tony/Kevin/Conor/Khabib are way better shit talkers, have way more appeal to the fans, and have more interesting/contrasting styles.

Poirer doesn't belong in the title picture....It has taken fucking 2 years for these guys to fight eachother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poirer, doesn't deserve to fuck it up by getting a contender match against Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line...If they want to sell and not have the UFC die, The winner of Tony vs Kevin lee should face the winner of Khabib vs Conor.

Somebody probably said this same exact shit about Robbie Lawler once

I'd say more than 50%. If Conor doesnt sign which is doubtful, he has earned a crack at the belt.

Poirer doesn't sell and has literally ZERO appeal....and I hope the UFC doesn't fuck the Lightweight division by giving this guy a shot!!!!!!!!!!!

Khabib vs Conor

Tony Ferguson vs Kevin Lee.....even though Tony beat em, it was an amazing match, and kevin lee had a legit excuse, staph...A rematch makes sense.

Not to mention Tony/Kevin/Conor/Khabib are way better shit talkers, have way more appeal to the fans, and have more interesting/contrasting styles.

Poirer doesn't belong in the title picture....It has taken fucking 2 years for these guys to fight eachother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poirer, doesn't deserve to fuck it up by getting a contender match against Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line...If they want to sell and not have the UFC die, The winner of Tony vs Kevin lee should face the winner of Khabib vs Conor.
Kevin Lee doesn't sell and has a shit persona plus missed weight and was already gifted a interim title fight which he lost.

He needs to fight someone coming off a loss. Possibly explore 170.

Good chance Dustin fights for the real turkey or interim.

His next opponent is either Khabib, the winner of Khabib/McGregor, or Ferguson for the interim title.

To me Ferguson is a very winnable fight for Porier. Great boxing and a gas tank that can hold up will definitely give Ferguson trouble.
Poirier vs TFerg would be fun, but I don't want either to lose before getting their shot at the belt. They've both earned it and getting another shot would be tough in this division

There's actually a decent chance he fights for a title, if Conor or Khabib get injured and pull out, then he's got the best case to make as the replacement fighter.

Yeah... There is nearly a 0% chance Dustin Poirier fights for a title...Even though the tough son of a bitch deserves it.

Uhhhh he cannot possibly deserve it since there at least 2 other people who deserve it more:

KHABIB - Champion that's 26-0
CONOR - Fmr. Champ that never lost the belt, and who KO'd Dustin Poirier in 1 round.

I think we all knew he wasn't getting that title fight after his win. Everyone knows its about Khabib & Conor right now. Only way he fights if one of them pull out (pause) due to injury.

Kevin Lee doesn't sell and has a shit persona plus missed weight and was already gifted a interim title fight which he lost.

He needs to fight someone coming off a loss. Possibly explore 170.
LMFAO.....Kevin Lee sells much more and it's a better shit talker that gets people interested.

Kevin Lee had fucking staph...No shit he missed weight by 2lbs lol....OMG such an advantage!!! It was clear that Tony had the advantage, Kevin wasn't 100%.

He lost with a legit excuse...and the fight was really entertaining.

Not to mention Kevin Lee is a better fighter than Dustin and has a better record IMO

Dustin Poirer is a boring fighter...Boring Personality....cookie cutter fighter that fights like 99% other fighters.....Sorry he is nothing special at all.

Khabib vs Conor

Who gives a fuck if he sells or not, casual. If he's good enough then he will be the champion. Ufc's accountant over here.

Back