Yan is build like a plumber, Sterling like a greek god

Dude has great balance which helps a lot with the take down defense. He also seems strong AF from having a strong broad core, which is the biggest difference between him and Aljo. Aljo has a thin waiste which shows well from an aesthetic aspect, but from a grappling aspect a thick core like Khabib's is much better.

Lol @ thinking only an IFBB pro could have more musculature than a 135 lb fighter

Neither guy is particularly muscular at all compared to other guys like Moraes and Aldo. Shit, neither guy is particularly muscular compared to the average joe who works out 3 times a week.
They have single digit body fat and are about as heavy as their weight class allows. Its not their fault their bodies dont arouse you. You're talking about aesthetics in fighting. Its completely irrelevant.

They have single digit body fat and are about as heavy as their weight class allows. Its not their fault their bodies dont arouse you. You're talking about aesthetics in fighting. Its completely irrelevant.

Thank god someone has a fucking brain. The average gymbro is roided out and can't reach his toes. Sterling looks about as good as his profession allows him to be.

OK—greek god is hyperbole.

But you're telling me that Sterling is average looking?

This is what men's natural physique looks like:

EDT_PSBraydenEmersonLondonOntario_Super_Portrait.jpg

These guys have good genetics and train for mass.

This is what Sterling looks like:

SterlingMandelSherdog.jpg

Sterling does not train for mass but he's shredded and has good genetics. He's small but it's simply insane to call him "average", unless you want to compare him to roided out IFBB pros which you specifically said that you weren't comparing him to.

Is 8-9% bodyfat considered average? Ever?

This is what an "average" physique looks like.

nate-diaz-ufc-244-official-weigh-ins.jpg

Whether or not Aljo "looks good" is completely subjective. Objectively, I can say that a 5'6, ~150 lb man is not particularly physically impressive. He's definitely a lot leaner than the average athletic guy, but I don't think he's holding enough muscle to considered anything out of the ordinary. Again, he's not a Greek god. That's my core argument and you've already conceded that point.

Also, I like the way you've arbitrarily chosen an unflattering picture of a notoriously below average physique (by most standards) to represent the average. I guess that's just not my idea of an average athletic guy.

It's hilarious how personally you guys are taking this. I never said anyone had a "shitty" body, and whether or not they arouse me is completely irrelevant.

He's not a Greek god, and it's not that baffling that Yan was able to outmuscle him. There are probably 100 better examples of unimpressive looking fighters tossing around pseudo-bodybuilders.

Whether or not Aljo "looks good" is completely subjective. Objectively, I can say that a 5'6, ~150 lb man is not particularly physically impressive.

If he is at 8% body fat and has a lot of lean muscle mass, then I think it's impressive. Because athleticism isn't only about lifting weights.

He's definitely a lot leaner than the average athletic guy, but I don't think he's holding enough muscle to considered anything out of the ordinary. Again, he's not a Greek god. That's my core argument and you've already conceded that point.

There is a huge span between Greek God and "average" lol.

Also, I like the way you've arbitrarily chosen an unflattering picture of a notoriously below average physique (by most standards) to represent the average. I guess that's just not my idea of an average athletic guy.

Do you even watch MMA? Do you know how many high level combat athletes have Nate Diaz level physique or worse?

I could have chosen any of the below, and there are dozens more besides.

MAGOMEDSHARIPOV_ZABIT_L.png

sean-omalley-ufc-222-official-weigh-ins.jpg

UFConFOX5_Weighins_43.jpg

1181977429.jpg.jpg

Max-Holloway.jpg

HOOPER_CHASE_L.png

002_Justin_Gaethje.jpg

There are many many more at LHW and HW, but I don't even need to go there to make my point.

Last edited:
If he is at 8% body fat and has a lot of lean muscle mass, then I think it's impressive. Because athleticism isn't only about lifting weights.

There is a huge span between Greek God and "average" lol.

Do you even watch MMA? Do you know how many people have Nate Diaz level physique?

I could have chosen any of the below, and there are dozens more besides.

USATSI_13613136-768x572.jpg

1181977429.jpg.jpg

Max-Holloway.jpg

frank-mir-weighin.jpg

usa_today_10810529.jpg

002_Justin_Gaethje.jpg

usa_today_9885350.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
You've already made it clear that you think (subjectively) that he's physically impressive. I'm not sure why you think that's an appropriate retort to my point about his actual physical metrics, and how they're nothing out of the ordinary.

Yeah, there's definitely a wide gap between average and Greek god. I'm not exactly sure where Alja falls on that scale but I'd say he's closer to average than Greek god.

Sure, there are a lot of mma fighters who aren't very muscular. But there are also many who are above average, and many who are tremendously muscular. Are we really going to pretend that a handful of outliers are representative of the average UFC fighter's level of musculature? I could just as easily make a compilation of muscular fighters.

Not to mention the fact that including heavyweights with enormous amounts of muscle in this list just shows how desperately you're grasping at straws here.

You've already made it clear that you think (subjectively) that he's physically impressive. I'm not sure why you think that's an appropriate retort to my point about his actual physical metrics, and how they're nothing out of the ordinary.

Yeah, there's definitely a wide gap between average and Greek god. I'm not exactly sure where Alja falls on that scale but I'd say he's closer to average than Greek god.

Not for a 150 pounder he's not.

If you want to get out of subjective conjecture and talk about what most people think: Most people don't care about mass.

Ask the average person, and they'll think Bruce Lee or Brad Pitt from Fight Club is an impressive physique. They're both just as small as Sterling.

Sure, there are a lot of mma fighters who aren't very muscular. But there are also many who are above average, and many who are tremendously muscular. Are we really going to pretend that a handful of outliers are representative of the average UFC fighter's level of musculature? I could just as easily make a compilation of muscular fighters.

Sorry, now you mean "average" by UFC standards? You mean to say that Sterling is average among the very best performance athletes in the world? That's very different from what you were saying earlier.

I posted physiques that were average by real world standards, not by the standards of top athletes. I did that because you said that Nate Diaz is a unique example even though he clearly isn't, and now you're shifting the goalposts.

Not to mention the fact that including heavyweights with enormous amounts of muscle in this list just shows how desperately you're grasping at straws here.

I replaced all the heavyweights with bantamweights and featherweights. Check again.

And the reason why heavyweights are often fat is because it's hard to be shredded. If it was considered average to be shredded then even the heavyweights would be able to do it.

But they don't, since it's extremely difficult to stay lean and they don't need to be shredded to perform well or make weight. Whereas more bantamweights are shredded because they literally cannot have any fat if they want to make weight consistently.

Last edited:
Aljo got fancy muscle, this is strong powerful muscle

PetrYanPhotocreditcourtesyofZuffaLCCviaGettyImages.jpg

He just wants to slobber on Aljos toes, let him.

Not for a 150 pounder he's not.

Sorry, now you mean "average" by UFC standards? You mean average among the very best athletes in the world? That's very different from what you were saying earlier.

I replaced all the heavyweights with bantamweights and featherweights. Check again.

And the reason why heavyweights are often fat is because it's hard to be shredded. If it was considered average to be shredded then even the heavyweights would be able to do it.

But they don't, since it's extremely difficult to stay lean and they don't need to be shredded to perform well or make weight. Whereas more bantamweights are shredded because they literally cannot have any fat if they want to make weight consistently.[/QUOTE]

You're really not half as clever as you think you are. The conversation has obviously progressed since my original point, and I'm responding to the fucking list of shirtless men you put in your last post, who supposedly representative of the "average" ufc physique. I also stated before that whether we're comparing him to other UFC fighters, bodybuilders, or the average athletic guy, he's really not that impressive. You keep trying to weasel your way out of this when you're the one who's pivoting here.

You're partly correct on this point. Yes, it's hard to be shredded when you're carrying 200 lbs of muscle, but it's really not that unusual to be shredded as a small man.

Last edited:
You're really not half as clever as you think you are. The conversation has obviously progressed since my original point, and I'm responding to the fucking list of shirtless men you put in your last post, who all happen to be UFC fighters. I also stated before that whether we're comparing him to other UFC fighters, bodybuilders, or the average athletic guy, he's really not that impressive. You keep trying to weasel your way out of this when you're the one who's pivoting here.

You're partly correct on this point. Yes, it's hard to be shredded when you're carrying 200 lbs of muscle, but it's really not that unusual to be shredded as a small man.

OK, let's get down to brass tacks.

You think his physique is average, and I don't. That's just subjective conjecture and we won't get anywhere.

If you want to get an real-world objective assessment from the general population, then Sterling is absolutely not average. Most people do not consider Bruce Lee to be an average physique even though he's small. Only people who follow bodybuilding care about high mass as an assessment of physique.

It's absolutely easier to be shredded as a small man but it's not so easy that it's considered average. Plenty of small people who are top athletes (footballers, runners, tennis players, track athletes) do not look this shredded and/or have this much lean mass:

Dave-MandelSherdog.com_-1.jpeg

You have to train specifically for it on top of your normal skill training, eat super strict, and also have decent genetics. The average person can't even stick to a diet for a month.

Last edited:
Don’t know, Yan seems more shredded on the weigh ins

Back