Yan is build like a plumber, Sterling like a greek god

How many plumbers do you know with abs? Yan is in great shape, idiot.

PetrYanPhotocreditcourtesyofZuffaLCCviaGettyImages.jpg

Aljo is a weight bully but it's not going to be enough. Little Petr is stronger than him.

its also comes down to technique. For Aljo to keep Yan's superior striking and footwork at bay he has to throw everything at him,all manner of unconventional wild (energy costing) attacks. Yan can hang back and let his superior fundamentals carry him through

Yan is thicker and has more dense muscle tissue. Sterling is built more like a models physique

petr-yan-ufc-259-official-weigh-ins.jpg

I don’t know about that. Yan is solid and compact. Aljo is lankier. They are both strong guys in different ways. Matt Serra is always referring to how crazy strong Sterling’s squeeze is when he gets ahold of guys in the gym. Overall I think Yan looks like and is stronger overall.

Yan walks around at 10-12% body fat. He has a lot of lean muscle for 135.

Please tell me what attributes Yan shares with a plumber, or tell me what you think plumbers look like.

By what? IFBB standards?

Retarded take.

Lol @ thinking only an IFBB pro could have more musculature than a 135 lb fighter

Neither guy is particularly muscular at all compared to other guys like Moraes and Aldo. Shit, neither guy is particularly muscular compared to the average joe who works out 3 times a week.

But Yan is stronger, have better cardio, faster, bla bla bla

How on earth?

Greek gods shoot lightening out of their fingers, have magical arrows, swords, and tools to do their dirty work... They rarely "grapple" with humans.

Plumbers on the other hand:

Oh1umS9.jpg

Lol @ thinking only an IFBB pro could have more musculature than a 135 lb fighter

Not at all. I'm just saying that the real world isn't a bodybuilding competition.

Neither guy is particularly muscular at all compared to other guys like Moraes and Aldo.

That's not even true.

Jose-Aldo-2.jpg

Aljamain-Sterling-1.jpg

In terms of mass, they are almost the same size. Jose has a fuller chest. Sterling has a more developed back, and more muscle definition in a dehydrated state.

No one would say Sterling is "average" compared to Aldo.

Actually, if you want to talk bodybuilding then Sterling has better bodybuilding genetics than Aldo. He doesn't train for mass but he isn't that far off from being able to compete in men's natural physique.

Shit, neither guy is particularly muscular compared to the average joe who works out 3 times a week.

I struggle to fathom how this is a relevant comparison at all. You're saying you aren't comparing them to bodybuilding standards and then you go on to compare them to people who work out to build mass rather than athleticism.

So what standard are you using? Do swimmers and marathon runners have shitty bodies since they don't train for mass?

If you are judging by mass, then it's bodybuilding. If you aren't, then you're just wrong.

Last edited:
Not at all. I'm just saying that the real world isn't a bodybuilding competition.

That's not even true.

Jose-Aldo-2.jpg

Aljamain-Sterling-1.jpg

In terms of mass, they are almost the same size. Jose has a fuller chest. Sterling has a more developed back, and more muscle definition in a dehydrated state.

No one would say Sterling is "average" compared to Aldo.

I struggle to fathom how this is a relevant comparison at all. You're saying you aren't comparing them to bodybuilding standards and then you go on to compare them to people who work out to build mass rather than athleticism.

So what standard are you using? Do swimmers and marathon runners have shitty bodies since they don't train for mass?

If you are judging by mass, then it's bodybuilding. If you aren't, then you're just wrong.

I'm not going to go through this garbage point by point. I'll steer you back on track here.

The original claim I made in this thread was that both guys have very average physiques. Not just in the bodybuilding world, but in the real world as well. Neither of them is built like a fucking greek god as TS claims, even with the UFC's patented photoshoot lighting.

They both look way better than an average Joe working out 3 times per week.

They both look way better than an average Joe working out 3 times per week.

Sure, they "look better" because they're leaner than the average guy, but neither one has particularly impressive or unusual musculature.

We're talking about a couple of 5'6, ~150 lb men...

They're both manlets so I don't get the point of this thread

I'm not going to go through this garbage point by point. I'll steer you back on track here.

The only claim I made in this thread was that both guys have very average physiques. Not just in the bodybuilding world, but in the real world as well. Neither of them is built like a fucking greek god as TS claims, even with the UFC's patented photoshoot lighting.

OK—greek god is hyperbole.

But you're delusional if you think Sterling is "average looking".

This is what men's natural physique looks like during a bodybuilding competition:

EDT_PSBraydenEmersonLondonOntario_Super_Portrait.jpg

These guys have good genetics and train for mass.

This is what Sterling looks like:

SterlingMandelSherdog.jpg

Sterling does not train for mass but he's shredded and has good genetics. He's small, especially in the chest, but it's simply insane to call him "average".

Is 8% bodyfat considered average? Do you walk around at 6-7% then? Do you understand the work it takes to look this lean even at ~150 walkaround weight?

Unless you want to compare him to roided out IFBB pros which you specifically said that you weren't comparing him to, he isn't average.

This is what an "average" physique looks like.

nate-diaz-ufc-244-official-weigh-ins.jpg

There's a reason why a lot of bigger fighters look closer to this than they do to Sterling. Because it's fucking hard to maintain low body fat and high muscle mass when you're training HIIT cardio all the time, and it's also why Yoel Romero is considered to be a genetic freak from another planet.

The bottom line is, Sterling looks very good for a cardio athlete. He looks exceptional compared to normal people.

If he was average, it would be easy to look like him, and most people don't. End of story.

Last edited:
Back