• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Xtreme Couture Head Coach, Robert Follis FIRED

Yup and Gray Maynard was the best example of that. He had great fighting abilities but he just crashed hard after all that unhealthy training/sparring style.
sad..

especially when you listen to him talk now.

He sounds so punchy

Randy was hardly at the gym and the other instructors where pretty inexperienced. As a result, it turned into a gym that was literally a bunch of dudes beating the crap out of each other.

There was so much ego and tension in the gym and sparring was always at 100%. When Gray Maynard first joined his striking blew and experienced guys would intentionally pair up with him so they could floor him. Once he got better, no one wanted to spar with him anymore (that's ego at the highest, I will only train with you if I can bully/floor you).

Mike Pyle and Jay Hieron would purposely beat the shit out of noobs and other fighters who where visiting the gym and it even got to the point to where they made a game out it.

No surprise that half gym now slurs there speech
are you sure with this? I mean this topic exactly is a part of this thread too (see previous pages of this thread) and it looks like this 'game' was rather about teaching some bullies a lesson, that they shouldn't go hard on beginners or lower weight guys. I don't know Pyle or Hieron, but are they really as much of assholes to be doing such a thing?

Randy was hardly at the gym and the other instructors where pretty inexperienced. As a result, it turned into a gym that was literally a bunch of dudes beating the crap out of each other.

There was so much ego and tension in the gym and sparring was always at 100%. When Gray Maynard first joined his striking blew and experienced guys would intentionally pair up with him so they could floor him. Once he got better, no one wanted to spar with him anymore (that's ego at the highest, I will only train with you if I can bully/floor you).

Mike Pyle and Jay Hieron would purposely beat the shit out of noobs and other fighters who where visiting the gym and it even got to the point to where they made a game out it.

No surprise that half gym now slurs there speech
This is a joke if true.

Sounds like some of the allegations that happened at Xtreme Couture would be grounds for a class action lawsuit.

are you sure with this? I mean this topic exactly is a part of this thread too (see previous pages of this thread) and it looks like this 'game' was rather about teaching some bullies a lesson, that they shouldn't go hard on beginners or lower weight guys. I don't know Pyle or Hieron, but are they really as much of assholes to be doing such a thing?

I've heard the same stories, but with most gym tales it's all rumor until someone actually confirms it.

Whoever fired him must be feeling a little guilty right now...RIP

I've heard the same stories, but with most gym tales it's all rumor until someone actually confirms it.
yes, because I can imagine a situation, when someone, who doesn't really understand what's going on, spreading these stories around. but that doesn't mean that I am refusing the possibility that the story is true.

Sounds like some of the allegations that happened at Xtreme Couture would be grounds for a class action lawsuit.

I'm not sure how I feel about those jock / super ego sparring sessions

From the amateur standpoint it's just complete bullshit, it's just bullying and making sure you won't have anybody new who's gonna enroll regularly.

My first sparring sessions were full MMA, I knew 2 or 3 combinations, almost no defense, no takedowns, no sub escapes... so it was ass beating at is finest. I never really liked it and pretty much fade away from striking training. Now I changed gym, I have a strong BJJ base, they have a logical way to get you to spar, they take the time to do it right not just feeding you to other guys. I'm just a hobbyist.

But if you run a pro level program, you need to make sure that everybody is up to take a beating. I don't think they should always do 100% sparring, there should be other kind of sparring, less intense or specific (drilling stuff full contact). But 100% full contact sparring is part of the MMA world and every pro have to do it.

There was story about pretty much every gyms, GSP once told that Jackson wanted him to spar with Carwin, Shaub also told stories about always being in full sparring mode at Jackson's.

It's more a matter of toning it down for the safety of the fighters. But when there's full sparring, intimidation and bullying is a big part of MMA.

tenor.gif

I'll have to find the exact interview (it was on Joe Rogans show).

Marc Danzig and Tyson Griffin where the two that dropped the ball on what was going on (this was around the time everyone was leaving in 2011-2012, Joe was curious as to why everyone was leaving and they told him exactly why). They where both interviewed on different occasions and yet there stories where exactly the same.

Gray Maynard hasn't given a full statement but if you read his interviews from 2011 when he left for AKA, he drops hints about the ego's and greenlighting that went on

I'll have to find the exact interview (it was on Joe Rogans show).

Marc Danzig and Tyson Griffin where the two that dropped the ball on what was going on (this was around the time everyone was leaving in 2011-2012, Joe was curious as to why everyone was leaving and they told him exactly why). They where both interviewed on different occasions and yet there stories where exactly the same.

Gray Maynard hasn't given a full statement but if you read his interviews from 2011 when he left for AKA, he drops hints about the ego's and greenlighting that went on
well, so that could be really true. that is sad to be honest. like I said niether Pyle or Hieron come across as this type of complete assholes to me, but I don't know them. and the man, who absolutely doesn't fit to this kind of hostile shit, is Randy f*cking Couture!!! I mean there is like 95% fans, who like him or at least don't hate on him. he's my most favorite fighter ever.

as far as I remember Mac Danzig he is a genuine type of guy, who does not have a problem to speak the truth, when it's necessary.

Ive spoken to people who trained there who confirmed the gym was trash.

Back in 2008 the gym looked like it was world class. They technically had two UFC champs in Couture and Forrest. But looking back it is obvious the gym never produced any talent, but destroyed already established fighters. It was and is an amateur shit show. Did Randy's son or ex wife ever establish themselves as even half way decent fighters? No. Sadly this is all too common in martial arts, but you would have expected more from a gym that got so much attention. Actually, looking back on it, a lot of the big gyms from that era have faded away or never lived up to expectations. That usually happens when a pro fighter opens a big name gym (Wand Fight Team, University of Fighting, etc.). People expected these gyms to take over but they never did.

well, so that could be really true. that is sad to be honest. like I said niether Pyle or Hieron come across as this type of complete assholes to me, but I don't know them. and the man, who absolutely doesn't fit to this kind of hostile shit, is Randy f*cking Couture!!! I mean there is like 95% fans, who like him or at least don't hate on him. he's my most favorite fighter ever.

as far as I remember Mac Danzig he is a genuine type of guy, who does not have a problem to speak the truth, when it's necessary.

The gym was essentially a McDojo business venture at first. You could pay the gym for some package that guaranteed a once a year one on one session with Randy. That isn't what you expect from a real gym trying to produce real talent. Also a lot of the talent there did not only spar there but at other places. The place did not have the highest quality grappling (back in the day at least) so people would go else where for Jiujitsu.

I see a lot of people just posting pure nonsense in this thread.

Just because someone kills themselves, does not make them innocent, in the right or place them in a protected class. Control freaks and just generally terrible people will kill themselves just to get back at people. Sometimes it's their last way to control a situation and cause issues after their death. Sometimes people are just depressed and kill themselves. Either way, the people making wild claims in this thread, have no idea what one it is.

Coutures has a very specific pro class at 3pm where normal people are not allowed to go. So normal and ammy patrons do not even get the chance to be harmed as is claimed in this thread.

Some specific people have had problems going hard on people, but the coaches do intervene and again, this is only with pro members/team members.

The only thing they do there, is shark tank people. No green lighting without both fighters agreeing.

Seriously, some of you guys just type crazy things in order to have some type of insider narrative in your head.

Eric is a great guy. He was at the Las Vegas shooting, as was I,.. helping get people to safety. I have never seen the guy act out.

Dennis is one of the nicest guys I ever met in this sport.

I have only had issues with two people at that gym, both were fired.

I see a lot of people just posting pure nonsense in this thread.

Just because someone kills themselves, does not make them innocent, in the right or place them in a protected class. Control freaks and just generally terrible people will kill themselves just to get back at people. Sometimes it's their last way to control a situation and cause issues after their death. Sometimes people are just depressed and kill themselves. Either way, the people making wild claims in this thread, have no idea what one it is.

Coutures has a very specific pro class at 3pm where normal people are not allowed to go. So normal and ammy patrons do not even get the chance to be harmed as is claimed in this thread.

Some specific people have had problems going hard on people, but the coaches do intervene and again, this is only with pro members/team members.

The only thing they do there, is shark tank people. No green lighting without both fighters agreeing.

Seriously, some of you guys just type crazy things in order to have some type of insider narrative in your head.

Eric is a great guy. He was at the Las Vegas shooting, as was I,.. helping get people to safety. I have never seen the guy act out.

Dennis is one of the nicest guys I ever met in this sport.

I have only had issues with two people at that gym, both were fired.
I appreciate you even taking the time to give reality to the situation that 99.9% on here, have no clue about and are truly in the dark about. I think for some of us who do train, teach a martial art, fight or have fought professionally, it was clear in your original messages, that you had "clear" insight to the reality of the situation. While many just blew it off as some random person airing out bs. It is very sad that he passed away by inflicting a self damaging wound, but to look past that, one has to realize that he was possibly running from something, and that he may have simply took the "easy way out". Once again, many mahalos and enjoy the holiday brother!

I appreciate you even taking the time to give reality to the situation that 99.9% on here, have no clue about and are truly in the dark about. I think for some of us who do train, teach a martial art, fight or have fought professionally, it was clear in your original messages, that you had "clear" insight to the reality of the situation. While many just blew it off as some random person airing out bs. It is very sad that he passed away by inflicting a self damaging wound, but to look past that, one has to realize that he was possibly running from something, and that he may have simply took the "easy way out". Once again, many mahalos and enjoy the holiday brother!

Thank you very much, likewise to you.

Back