X-Guard Book

Sub Dude

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone got any updates on Marcelo Garcia's X-Guard book? I pre-ordered my copy months ago from victorybelt.com. The last I heard, it had a shipping date of 3/15/08, but I still haven't received it, and haven't heard anything from them. When I go to the website, they apparently are in the process of putting up a new site, and it just links you over to budovideos.com. There is no apparent way of checking the status of your order. I checked with Amazon, and it seems that they have the book in stock and shipping now. Has anyone received their copy yet?

It just went up in the last day or two.

I got mine in the mail yesterday after I preordered it from Amazon in like December. I haven't had time to read much yet, I've only ready through about 10 pages of the butterfly guard section, but it looks very good. He shows how to do techniques both with and without the gi, and most of the techniques have shots from two angles, some of them show from three angles.

Is the x-guard applicable for no-gi?

Edit: Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I really don't know a lot about the xguard.

I bought one at barnes and noble yesterday they had three copies on the shelf. I didn't even know the release date so i was surprised to see it on the shelf. It's good so far.

To those that have it, what percentage of the moves are gi and no gi?

I like the gi way more than no gi, so if the percentage is 60/40 or more gi/nogi I'll probably buy it.

To those that have it, what percentage of the moves are gi and no gi?

I like the gi way more than no gi, so if the percentage is 60/40 or more gi/nogi I'll probably buy it.

I think it's a little more gi than no gi in terms of the photos. At the top of every page, it tells you whether the move is pure gi, pure no-gi, or applicable to both--most of the no-gi are applicable to both, and many of the gi are pure gi.

Is it just a repeat of movesfrom his x guard dvd or is it new stuff as well as his older stuff covered in his dvd .

It's a lot more than the DVD.
I just got the book yesterday from budovideos.
I train more no gi so I have to skip some gi sections but still it's by far the best book out (maybe only book?) for x guard.

I think it's a little more gi than no gi in terms of the photos. At the top of every page, it tells you whether the move is pure gi, pure no-gi, or applicable to both--most of the no-gi are applicable to both, and many of the gi are pure gi.

At the top of each page where he starts a new technique, there are icons that tell you if it is applicable in gi, no-gi or both. Also, many of the techniques he goes through with the gi, then they show the same move without the gi. Haven't gotten through the whole book yet, but the parts I've read so far are like that.

Sounds like I going to have to get copy . I've liked everything Marcelo has put out so far . I'm looking forward to Saulo's book as well .

Just got mine yesterday! Im supposed to be reading some novel for English, but instead Im reading the X-guard =(

Its an amazing book btw, Id give it a 10

The Twister book/Rubber Guard or X-Guard book? Which one is better?

Depends on your game.

I got the Garcia book mostly for his butterfly and half-butterfly guard techniques, not so much his X-guard.

It's very good - almost overwhelming with the multiple angles and variations on each position. But clearly laid out. Arguably the best laid out/designed jiu jitsu book that I own (out of a total of about 11-12 in my "library").

Highly recommended if you want a similar guard game to Marcelo's.

****Bumped Thread*****

I was wondering how some of you guys use this book. Do you read one technique and try to use it while rolling? Do you bring the book to open mat and read it with your buddy? Do you read the whole thing and then go back and try to use one technique per class?

I am working on my butterfly guard and sweeps right now. I picked up this book in Borders yesterday and read it for a bout an hour. It looks great. it just seems hard to apply what I am learning on the mat. If nobody is critiquing me I am not sure if I am doing the moves properly.

I was at open mat this morning trying to do the X guard and my coach was like , "No. This is wrong and that is wrong." I know practice will help. But if my instructor is not teaching it in my regular class how do I figure it out?

Don't mean to jack the thread, but how useful is the x-guard. And how often are you in a position to use it?

Depends on your game.

I got the Garcia book mostly for his butterfly and half-butterfly guard techniques, not so much his X-guard.

It's very good - almost overwhelming with the multiple angles and variations on each position. But clearly laid out. Arguably the best laid out/designed jiu jitsu book that I own (out of a total of about 11-12 in my "library").

Highly recommended if you want a similar guard game to Marcelo's.

so this book is not just x-guard, but butterfly tech as well? or are u talking about another Garcia book?

Back