X-Guard Book

Don't mean to jack the thread, but how useful is the x-guard. And how often are you in a position to use it?
Getting a sweep from x guard isn't the problem, as it's pretty much inevitable. Actually getting to the x guard is the real challenge. Because of its increased popularity, people have been getting wise to the x guard. I've had a few people spin or back out when I'm trying to set it up. Once you're in it, the sweep is almost always there, just getting there is the problem.

There's lots of variations and different ways to set it up. I mainly try to get there from half or butterfly guard.

Getting a sweep from x guard isn't the problem, as it's pretty much inevitable. Actually getting to the x guard is the real challenge. Because of its increased popularity, people have been getting wise to the x guard. I've had a few people spin or back out when I'm trying to set it up. Once you're in it, the sweep is almost always there, just getting there is the problem.

There's lots of variations and different ways to set it up. I mainly try to get there from half or butterfly guard.

Thanks. Did you learn the x guard from a book/vid or did you learn it in class or a seminar? I am only trying it out on white belts right now so I am getting it set up and executing the sweep but I don't think my technique is very good yet. I very rarely learn anything from a book or a video. It seems I need someone helping me step by step.

Thanks. Did you learn the x guard from a book/vid or did you learn it in class or a seminar? I am only trying it out on white belts right now so I am getting it set up and executing the sweep but I don't think my technique is very good yet. I very rarely learn anything from a book or a video. It seems I need someone helping me step by step.
We were taught how to set it up from butterfly in class a few times. I bought the book to get better at both the sweeps and the setups. There are tons of setups in the book, but the highest percentage seem to be from half guard, butterfly guard, or half butterfly.

I've swept a few of my fellow blue belts with it, and lots of white belts, but the higher belts are catching on to it, so you really have to be quick about it when you underhook the leg, or else they will just spin out or back out of it. A lot of times though you can catch a sweep without even having to be in the x guard. Once you underhook the leg and your partner tries to back out, you can follow him up and end up in a good position to pass his guard. I've been getting that one a lot lately.

We were taught how to set it up from butterfly in class a few times. I bought the book to get better at both the sweeps and the setups. There are tons of setups in the book, but the highest percentage seem to be from half guard, butterfly guard, or half butterfly.

I've swept a few of my fellow blue belts with it, and lots of white belts, but the higher belts are catching on to it, so you really have to be quick about it when you underhook the leg, or else they will just spin out or back out of it. A lot of times though you can catch a sweep without even having to be in the x guard. Once you underhook the leg and your partner tries to back out, you can follow him up and end up in a good position to pass his guard. I've been getting that one a lot lately.

Thanks. Even if I don't master the X guard my mindset is off my top game and submissions. I'm in this phase of sweeps, transitions, and escapes. Just reading the bio and his x guard "philosophy" was a treat. Another guy at my school has the X guard book already. Hopefully we can work on it together.

It's fun to play around with...

Thanks. Even if I don't master the X guard my mindset is off my top game and submissions. I'm in this phase of sweeps, transitions, and escapes. Just reading the bio and his x guard "philosophy" was a treat. Another guy at my school has the X guard book already. Hopefully we can work on it together.

It's fun to play around with...
For sure. It makes your butterfly and half guard that much more dangerous. They are pretty high percentage.

Back