X-Files reboot

Re: Diversi-Files.

I mean, I wanna hold out hope for this one because Im a massive X-Files fan and I think the format lends itself to creating some quality content even if multiple episodes are weak, and Coogler has proven that he's capable of putting out good, entertaining stuff. I always say the problem with the whole diversity thing in entertainment is that when thats the focus, it means theres less focus on quality and it shows. I dont care if they have a diverse cast if the content is good, but whenever they make it the first thing they tell you about their show, its a warning sign. Mulder and/or Scully can be race swapped pretty easily without having much impact on the characters or the story, but if suddenly they cast white men in all the villain roles its gonna be obvious and the show is gonna suffer for it.

Anyway. I want to believe.

Hmmm.... I seem to remember most of the Government Villians in the original being white men.

220px-The_Smoking_Man_%28X-Files%29.jpg

xfiles-talithacumi23.jpg

the-x-files-krycek-900x506.jpg

lol... good lord. I hope they have more going for a reboot than this.

"Carter revealed that he’d spoken with Ryan Coogler, who plans to reboot (or, as Carter says, “remount”) The X-Files with a diverse cast. He didn’t get into any more specifics, but he doesn’t have to. The thought of a supernatural investigative series led by a diverse cast is all we need to hear. "
Read it again. It says "DIVERSE CAST". I trust you will be tuning in.

I feel like whenever they see a dip in revenues they haul out the TV guide from 1979 or some shit and open it to a random page. There, that's the next one--Diff'rent Strokes giggity, yeah with an all gay cast--brilliant! :p

In the lounge thread @Cajun posted about someone who appeared on Magnum PI and when I looked it up out of curiosity, sure enough, there's a remake of it on now. Ugh.
The TV guide from 1979 made me laugh irl. That was a golden age... don't doubt they try to reach back for the gold again

Hmmm.... I seem to remember most of the Government Villians in the original being white men.

220px-The_Smoking_Man_%28X-Files%29.jpg

xfiles-talithacumi23.jpg

the-x-files-krycek-900x506.jpg

A Conspiracy!

I mean, you're right, but also you gotta remember that most of the other roles were white people too. Nowadays the whole "diverse casting" tends to mean "The villains will be white males and everyone else is rainbow". Its gotten to a point where Im watching movies with my girlfriends and I can tell her who the villains are, even if its supposed to be a "shocking twist" just because you can pick out the white dude in the cast.

Lmao at everyone refusing to watch it because it might have a diverse cast.

You guys must have really hated Lost and Heroes and just about every other TV show.

Oh no theres going to be black or other people of color. Maybe a gay character too. Its the end of the world.

The reboot will be politically correct.

“Aliens”, henceforth will be referred to as “Non Earthers”.

Oh no theres going to be black or other people of color. Maybe a gay character too. Its the end of the world.
Omg diverse cast???

<Ellaria01>

More like creatively bankrupt that they'll just piggyback again on an established franchise that won't see the light of season 2. They could just continue the story in the same universe but with different cast. A reboot is just straight up garbage.

The reboot will be politically correct.

“Aliens”, henceforth will be referred to as “Non Earthers”.
there has to be a gay romance between Ja'muldarious and a some trans native American wolf-kin tree folk

More like creatively bankrupt that they'll just piggyback again on an established franchise that won't see the light of season 2. They could just continue the story in the same universe but with different cast. A reboot is just straight up garbage.

X-Files was a product of its time and would never work today, regardless of who they cast. Also the OG show is incredibly overrated by todays standards, with like a small handful of standout episodes

Lmao at everyone refusing to watch it because it might have a diverse cast.

You guys must have really hated Lost and Heroes and just about every other TV show.

Omg diverse cast???

<Ellaria01>

Nobody cares that the cast is diverse in and of itself. Only that its a sign that that's the piece of info they want to make their initial announcement about. It's generally a sign that quality takes back seat grandstanding.

Lost is a perfect example of diversity done right, but they didnt announce the show and say "Check out how diverse the cast is, everyone". They just made interesting characters. One of the problems in media nowadays is that minority characters are treated as interesting because theyre minorities, rather than take the time to make them interesting and give them story arcs. For awhile gay characters were like that, where it was hard to find an interesting gay character like Omar from The Wire or Thomas Barrow from Downtwon Abbey because they just casted a character to act as flamey and stereotypically gay as possible and then the character was supposed to be interesting (see: Orphan Black).

Back