wtf happened to WMMA

Men's flyweight is unwatchable for me.

Worse than even the lowest grade WMMA matches. It looks like 2 kids pretending to be 'Mortal Kombat' on a trampoline.

“Bully” feels uncomfortable knowing little men could destroy him in a fight. I’d avoid watching it too if my ego were that fragile.

{<BJPeen}

The other 2 wmma fights on this card were good and had finishes. I went to bed not long after the Bills game. Doing my usual UFC PPV sunday catch up of fights. Plan on skipping this fight tho.

Pennington vs Bueno Silva definitely wasn’t a great fight…

But there have been plenty of great WMMA fights and WMMA fights stopped inside of the distance…

The Aldana/Rosa fight just last month was a more entertaining fight than last night’s main event…

Don’t pretend that every WMMA fight is Pennington/Bueno Silva…

Changing rounds from 3 minutes to 5. The most exciting WMMAers came up in that 3 minute era where it was a sprint not a marathon.

Its always been mostly a giant slop fest with a wild lack of parity.

When is the last time a WMMA fight was the main event, and there were no other titles on the line? That tells you everything about the drawing power of WMMA.

The other 2 wmma fights on this card were good and had finishes. I went to bed not long after the Bills game. Doing my usual UFC PPV sunday catch up of fights. Plan on skipping this fight tho.

You have a time machine?

Kind of my point. Zingano wasn't champ yet put on great fights consistently. Someone worse than her in every aspect of MMA is now champ. Clear regression.

I know your post was a general one and not specific to me, but there are some of us who liked WMMA before that don't precisely because the spotlight fights, an overwhelming majority of the time now, look like the fight from last night. It didn't use to be that way was my point. If there are hidden gems that I'm not seeing then that reinforces my point... why the fuck are the title fights today worse than random prelims?

Case in point. I didn't watch either of these because none of them were featured on the main card. If there ARE legit fights then WTF is UFC consistently putting shit WMMA fights in the co-main? Why are title fights consistently inferior to undercard fights?

Zingano clearly wasnt championship material and phased out

Raquel put the work in and got her shot..props to her...not every champion is going to be the same level as the last .. there's peaks and valleys in every divisions champions list ..

Let see how Raquel's reign goes... You never know..

Holly holm looked like a point fighter till she fought Ronda and kicked her head into the rafters..

I think people need to stop with the comparative microscope view they apply to WMMA that they dont apply to men's MMA

This was the 1st title fight that I took a shower during a title fight. After the 1st rd I was ready for bed.. Actually fell asleep during the 2nd round of the main event .I was tired and Strickand/DuPleiss didn't keep me up

U Fight Cheap for men is just glorified bum fights as it is with the pennies they get paid.

Think about what sort of 'talent pool' you are going to get from women who decide to fight in cages for minimum wage. It's not exactly the most appealing career path for any woman with athletic talent, is it?

Beef or not Dana should consider bringing Cyborg back. That fight last night was an absolute joke.

Its very low level, its brought the skill level way down in UFC now. Also very bloated roster because of WMMA, with so many mediocre fighters.

Zingano clearly wasnt championship material and phased out

Raquel put the work in and got her shot..props to her...not every champion is going to be the same level as the last .. there's peaks and valleys in every divisions champions list ..

Let see how Raquel's reign goes... You never know..

Holly holm looked like a point fighter till she fought Ronda and kicked her head into the rafters..

I think people need to stop with the comparative microscope view they apply to WMMA that they dont apply to men's MMA
It is weird you keep doubling down on discrediting Zingano... you saying she clearly wasn't championship material yet then praising Raquel when Zingano was clearly above Raquel in every aspect of MMA is making my point for me. It is regressing.
This was the 1st title fight that I took a shower during a title fight. After the 1st rd I was ready for bed.. Actually fell asleep during the 2nd round of the main event .I was tired and Strickand/DuPleiss didn't keep me up
I fell asleep / caught myself to wake up in the form of making this thread before it ended. Horrible. If it wasn't for making this thread I likely would have missed the main event. I got decent amounts of sleep the previous night so it wasn't me that was the issue.
Pennington vs Bueno Silva definitely wasn’t a great fight…

But there have been plenty of great WMMA fights and WMMA fights stopped inside of the distance…

The Aldana/Rosa fight just last month was a more entertaining fight than last night’s main event…

Don’t pretend that every WMMA fight is Pennington/Bueno Silva…
I'm not. I'm pretending a disproportionate amount of highly featured (translation: co-main) WMMA fights are looking similar to Pennington/Silva and it is indicative of WMMA regressing.

Multiple people in this thread have made the point that not all WMMA fights suck. Ok great... why aren't THOSE fights featured more prominently then as opposed to bullshit fights are featured as co-mains repeatedly? If WBW sucks that bad that we all know the undisputed title fight is a joke and will be horrible... then don't feature that bullshit at the top of the bill of a major PPV.

It was objectively terrible to watch. If 10 events in a row for male main events were lackluster bullshit I'd be pointing out that as well. I sure as hell wouldn't be defending some male pre-lim fight being good as a defense for the fact that the bullshit fights are continually featured in main spots.

WMMA was built around Rousey. Hype is real and lightning never strikes twice the same way. Nunes dominated as much as Ronda and in some ways even beyond because she was knocking people out. She still never came close to the same level of popularity. The "normies" or "NPCs" (or whatever you want to call the barely casual fans) are bored of it. When you take away the magic you are left with a division(s) that are just weak versions of what the men do. What sports have women divisions that compete with the popularity of the men? Basically none. Maybe tennis and golf come the closest.

It isn't all that uncommon. Womens basketball is awful.

Women's soccer, swimming and tennis are all pretty decent. Women's golf too. Notice most of those "athletes" need finesse to excel, not strength.

It isn't all that uncommon. Womens basketball is awful.

Women's soccer, swimming and tennis are all pretty decent. Women's golf too. Notice most of those "athletes" need finesse to excel, not strength.

Women's soccer and tennis are crap. Boys teams consistently smoke the best female soccer teams in the world.

Women's athletics is serious though. A lot of talent and they're often very attractive.

Back