Wrist sprain is really annoying. What can I do?

rizzuh

White Belt
Reaction score
Anybody have some insight on wrist injuries? Neglected to wear wrist straps during a boxing session; seemed fine the entire night. Next morning, I can hardly move my right wrist. It's been about 2 weeks it's healed quite a bit. However, there is always some sharp pain whenever I try an exercise that puts pressure on the wrist. Bicep hammer curls, tricep cable pulls, etc. I still feel a little strain when I move my wrist. It's really fucking annoying. Are there any treatments/supplements that I can do to speed up the healing process? Any clues to how long it takes for a wrist sprain to heal? I'm guessing it's a wrist sprain and not a fracture/break b/c it would hurt a lot more if it was.

RICE, and wear the wraps lifting for a little more support for now.

RICE is good advice for a new injury but after 2 weeks the swelling should be gone and the healing process should be well under way. At this point REST is the only option. However if you insist on training try lifting light and find grips and lifts that don't stress your particular injury. Try lifting plates without the bar, there are a plethora of ways to grip a plate that may alleviate some of the stress on your wrist.

Rest it, don't push through a wrist injury. I'm going on 9 months now with a wrist injury, still can't do pushups/bench. Also, to get some blood flow to the area, you could try some light rice work (bucket of rice, grip it and twist at same time). Helped mine progress a lot.

Make sure to let it heal before you go back into anything strenuous.

Damn 9 months? I'm afraid the same is happening for me. It's been two months and I still can't do push ups. I just started rolling in bjj with my wrist wrapped and my brace tightly securing my wrist. Keyboard I'm just curious did you see a doctor by any chance and did he tell you what your situation is (why it's taking so long). At first I was glad to hear it was sprained rather than broken but from what I've read the recovery of some sprains can be much longer than a broken wrist bone.

Hopefully it completely heals soon :icon_neut

Deffinately rest it, i had a wrist injury and i kept re-injuring it. It is pretty much ok now but took a long time to get fully better and always felt kind of sore. I took glucosamine and fishoil for a llong time now and im confident it helped in healing it 100%

if you do pushups, do them on the knuckles. you can workout as long as your wrist doesn't bend too much. and use the other hand to fap ^^

I had the same thing happen to me in boxing. I was going in for a right hook to the ribs and the guy blocked it with his elbow. My wrist has been sprained for 8 months. Went to a GP to get a X-ray, no fracture but they put me in a splint and prescribed NSAIDs which reduced the pain a ton. Months later it's still hurting so had an MRI done and there's torn cartilage in my wrist where the ulna connects to the radius. Went to an orthopedic surgeon and he said he would suture the cartilage back together and told me I was looking at 4 weeks in a cast and three months afterthat in a sling. And MRIs are freaking expensive even with insurance.

i sprained my left wrist last september and i kept hurting it until the end of november. it didn't feel strong and what not until february/march. then again, all i did through the winter was study and do school work so it had plenty of rest.

and now i'm dealing with a the right wrist. i'm going to try to be smarter about this one.

RICE works. after a week or so you can start adding some heat with it. alternating heat and ice(contrast bath) will mimic a pump within your tissues and cause it to receive nutrients and exchange waste products faster. do some light stretching and very gentle hand exercises to keep normal range of motion while you're waiting for it to heal.

Back