Wrestling vs Judo: Safer takedowns

Lester McGrath

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which takedown/throws tend to be more dangerous to the opponent, Judo's or Wrestling's?
In know that alot depends on the intention of the one attempting it, but I just want to know which would be safer to learn for a begginer like me.

Lester McGrath said:
Which takedown/throws tend to be more dangerous to the opponent, Judo's or Wrestling's?
In know that alot depends on the intention of the one attempting it, but I just want to know which would be safer to learn for a begginer like me.

Same. Depends on intention.:)

judo, there are a few throws that if you do not know how to land properly, you'll get broken.

I agree with Q mystic. Not much experience in wrestling but a suplex looks quite dangerous in my eyes. For both parts.

I wouldn't say there is much of a difference. Certainly not enough for it to be a significant factor in making a choice between the two.

Judo translates to "the gentle way". Most Judo throws can be taken IF you know the falls associated with them without absorbiong much damage. Dont know which fall you would use for a suplex though. Check out Aikai-Jutsu throws if you want rough.

i would say that wrestling takedowns are safer by far hence the need for breakfalls

if you dont know judo extremely well i dont think it will serve you well in mma. judo moves need to be changed in order to work without a gi. you cant do certaint hrows unless u are extremely good at setups and offbalancing. a lot of times in throwing judo moves without a gi you fall off the throw and end up getting into a bad position. you are better off working from a clinch and using trips and other short offensive takedowns

i think judo is a lot more dangerous because many if not done properly will land your opponent on their head which is how most injuries from throws happen

Both Judo and Wrestling can drop an opponent on his head if desired, but for the most part, most wrestling takedowns don't get much amplitude, whereas Judo throws get a lot of amplitude.

I had to quit Judo because of injuries sustained while doing throws (lower back, knee) and now I do BJJ because you generally stay close to the ground, and I am less prone to injuries.

Matt Hughes might beg to differ, but I think Judo throws are nastier than wrestling takedowns, especially on concrete.

if youre doing either at a competitive level there is a risk for injury. stop being such a ninny.

colinm said:
if youre doing either at a competitive level there is a risk for injury. stop being such a ninny.

Judo's not too bad if you learn how to fall properly. Problem for me is that the instructor hunches over a bit and asks you to throw yourself over him and break your fall during warm ups. It's hard to do mentally. I'd rather get thrown then flip over.

KogaVideo2.jpg

Koga was great.

As someone already alluded to, there is a reason why they teach you the proper way to fall in Judo.

I would say do Judo, but I am a bit biast. You will learn some Japanese words, learn how to fall(which will help in a TON of situations), and it is a lot of fun.

Back