Wrestling vs Judo: Safer takedowns

I beleive that in the wrong hands any move is dangerous. " the most dangerous animal on the mats is the beginner, why? Cuz they only know enough to hurt you but not nearly enough to control it."

Colin is right. Getting thrown hurts. Don't be a wus.

Both can be very dangerous. Advice to you. Go slow. Learn proper breakfalling first. Understand what that means. Do not wrestle live until you've got a good grasp of how to fall and how the takedowns are properly executed. I would say folkstyle wrestling is the safest to start with. Learn your double leg. Duck under. Single leg and side headlock throw. If you can work them with an experienced wrestler first. Also learn your basic tie-ups too. How to stand and mechanics of a shot. Start with takedowns that begin close to the ground and work your way up. If you just start out with lateral drops and shit you will most likely get hurt or hurt your partner.

I agree, they both can be quite dangerous. I've seen plenty of neck/head/back injuries resulting from suplexes, double legs, firemans carries, arm spins, etc.

Wrestling and Judo are similar in many ways. A beginner may notice, that in Judo, a foot may be used more often to throw. Both, however, can leave injuries if you are not prepared. Learning to fall is most imortant. Next is to work with someone who already knows how to fall and throw. And remember, if you are the one being thrown, to stay relaxed and tuck your head!

Back