Wrestling vs jiu jitsu

ProEra

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Which would you say is the best to train along with boxing for mma in the future I have done some jiu jitsu and sub grappling both were fun and play into my naturals abilities but I can’t do both

Both.

The game will not conform itself around you, you must conform to the game. In this case, the game is MMA, & you are risking brain damage -- even at the training level, much less actual amateur & professional competition.

So if yer gonna risk that severe a consequence, you better do it right. The formula for MMA is well established now. You need striking, takedowns, & jiujitsu. It ain't 1993 anymore, you need some level of proficiency in all 3.

Which would you say is the best to train along with boxing for mma in the future I have done some jiu jitsu and sub grappling both were fun and play into my naturals abilities but I can’t do both

What have you spent to most time on in the world of combat sports up to now?
What fighters do you look up to the most?
What sort of things do you find cool in the cage? Strangling fools unconscious? Grounding and smeshing? Clinchwork knee and elbow destruction? Some combination thereof?

These inform the answers that will be best for you.

Last edited:
BJJ, but try to find an old school Gracie JJ school that will teach you takedowns from the clinch. They're out there, and not too hard to find. That will augment your boxing very well.

I'd pick wrestling because you will be able to control any MMA matches you may have.

Both.

The game will not conform itself around you, you must conform to the game. In this case, the game is MMA, & you are risking brain damage -- even at the training level, much less actual amateur & professional competition.

So if yer gonna risk that severe a consequence, you better do it right. The formula for MMA is well established now. You need striking, takedowns, & jiujitsu. It ain't 1993 anymore, you need some level of proficiency in all 3.

Came here to say "both".

Everyone who fights does both. You may favor one a bit earlier on, but you end up doing both.

Both.

But. Find a bjj coach who doesn’t force you to completely abandon the evils of “strength and conditioning”

If your choice is between a normal wrasslin coach and a “self defense”/“street” gi purist bjj guy. Go with wrestling until you find a competent bjj coach

Wrestling + Basic defensive BJJ.

If you only do BJJ you need a crazy good offensive game.

I'm inclined to say wrestling and boxing will win you way more fights than you'd lose. But on the other hand, it's not uncommon for fights to end up on the ground just from the natural ebb and flow of the action. If you're in good shape and not throwing too many haymakers this will be less of an issue.

But these good bjjers can be really crafty. How many times have we seen blackbelts with shitty wrestling somehow manage to end up getting fights to the mat? It happens but it's usually only the better bjj guys who pull this off.

So if you HAVE to pick one, pick wrestling, get in great shape, and fight smart. But you best be weary of that deceptively good submission fighter you may be matched up with eventually.

Both.

But. Find a bjj coach who doesn’t force you to completely abandon the evils of “strength and conditioning”

If your choice is between a normal wrasslin coach and a “self defense”/“street” gi purist bjj guy. Go with wrestling until you find a competent bjj coach
Where do you find bjj coaches telling you abadon strength and conditioning?
Roids are glorified big time in bjj. Even talking with some really pretty and athletic girls who train they often wish they where jacked as fuck.

Where do you find bjj coaches telling you abadon strength and conditioning?
Roids are glorified big time in bjj. Even talking with some really pretty and athletic girls who train they often wish they where jacked as fuck.

I have come across several professors who swore by this. They were highly against strength & conditioning and were only about technique/drilling as being your main source of conditioning.

Also, if you didn’t wrestle in high school to college, it is very difficult to find a wrestling club that will teach you the nuances of wrestling. Most places that are considered a wrestling class in most MMA gyms just teach takedowns without the emphasis of keeping the opponent down.

I have come across several professors who swore by this. They were highly against strength & conditioning and were only about technique/drilling as being your main source of conditioning.
Where they against doing strength or just advocated skipping doing extra cardio?

Find a bjj club that has wrestling. If you are an adult; there is no real amateur wrestling programs. It's very limited to be honest.

Where they against doing strength or just advocated skipping doing extra cardio?

They were against strength. So no weights. They would cite the exceptions who succeeded without lifting.

They believed conditioning came from drilling, rolling, and whatever warm ups they led.

Other forms of conditioning was considered a waste of time and would get the athlete injured.

Also, if you didn’t wrestle in high school to college, it is very difficult to find a wrestling club that will teach you the nuances of wrestling. Most places that are considered a wrestling class in most MMA gyms just teach takedowns without the emphasis of keeping the opponent down.
It’s very common for wrestlers to go to bjj gyms to be told not to use “strength” and to be a “certain type of technical”

Back