Wrestling traits?

SpartanWarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing BJJ now. Everyone I roll with asks me if I used to wrestle but I never have. Ive never taken any form of grappling before I started training BJJ. Are there any techniques that I might be doing that wrestlers tend to use?

In England its rare for people to wrestle but the regular guy who attends my class & another dood who tried it out who had a wrestling background instantly understantly understand the importance of neck control. Do wrestlers call it a clinch, not like a Muay Thai clinch, but the position where you have one hand at the back of your opponents neck & the other controlling an arm?

it could be your aggressiveness, I ask guys all the time if they wrestle and they say no, you just have insticts like aggressivenesss and top control, I have never seen you roll obviously but that is what it sounds like to me.

I often get asked if I wrestled before, as well. I don't understand it but aggressiveness (as stated above) may have something to do with it.

Big Red said:
Do wrestlers call it a clinch, not like a Muay Thai clinch, but the position where you have one hand at the back of your opponents neck & the other controlling an arm?
it's a "tie up" or "tie" or "collar tie" with one hand on the beck of the neck, other cupping tricept. we clinch too but it's a little different. you see that more in greco wrestling.

if you dont instantly flop on your ass, bjj guys ask if you're a wrestler.

Good grappling instincts (including the tendency to give up your back, lol), aggressiveness, good balance (extremely hard to sweep), good hips, good strength for your size, good takedowns, good conditioning, good sense of how to control your opponent (especially no-gi) would all be considered traits inherent to a good wrestler.

Fight_Song said:
if you dont instantly flop on your ass, bjj guys ask if you're a wrestler.

lololol....so funny because its true. if a guy isnt willing to just sit down in his butterfly guard when we start rolling, i get suspicious!

takedowns, spazzing out, giving your back, wasting way too much energy.

All traits that wrestlers show.

Also, getting guillotine choked about 7 times your first night. Basically, you suck at BJJ and LnP too much/have poor sub defense. Congrats.

Cool. I think I know what it is now. Its probably that greco clinch you were talking about. I tend to always do that for some reason. Ive never been taught that clinch in my BJJ class so Im guessing I probably saw it somewhere and subconsciously started doing too. Weird.

I've been asked that a few times as well but I think it's more for these reasons.

Blake Bowman said:

Also, getting guillotine choked about 7 times your first night. Basically, you suck at BJJ and LnP too much/have poor sub defense. Congrats.

Blake Bowman said:

you're comparing first-time bjjers with a wrestling background versus those with 6 or more months of bjj training or more. btw, they tend to stick the higher ranks with the wrestlers so they'd be able to manage where whites have a world of trouble.

i'd love to see how you fare wresting with no wrestling experiance. pull guard and get stuck 7 times your first night. congrats.

Fight_Song said:
you're comparing first-time bjjers with a wrestling background versus those with 6 or more months of bjj training or more. btw, they tend to stick the higher ranks with the wrestlers so they'd be able to manage where whites have a world of trouble.

i'd love to see how you fare wresting with no wrestling experiance. pull guard and get stuck 7 times your first night. congrats.
umm, I wrestled in college.

Blake Bowman said:
umm, I wrestled in college.
" i'd love to see how you fare wresting with *no wrestling experiance*. pull guard and get stuck 7 times your first night. congrats. "

i dont care about you personally, i'm just making an equal comparison. someone with no bjj experiance should suck at bjj. someone with no wrestling experiance should suck at wrestling. i dont get your bias.

no biad. he asked what traits would be a tell tale of wrestling experience. I told him.

No one should dipute anything Blake says in this forum. Ever. If you do or feel like doing so, put down your crack pipes.

Superbeast said:
No one should dipute anything Blake says in this forum. Ever. If you do or feel like doing so, put down your crack pipes.
oh shit...spoken by a mod.

pwned

Superbeast said:

Blake sucks, doesn't know what he's talking about.

omg, i posted again...

Back