Wrestling practice Single Leg PROBLEMS.

Bright5086200

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ok so i slide in for a single on my right side, and the opponents left side. I pull the leg up but then he puts his LEFT or RIGHT arm under my left leg and his slides me by. If he doesn't slide me by he still has the leg and it feels uncomfortable?

Could you guys help me with countering this move? its tough when he slides you right by.

Need some more clearity...are you on your feet? Is it an underhook? Overhook? Is he grabbing your outside arm?

ok so we are standing up. I go in a get a single leg and pick it up with

-my left hand on his heel.

- My right hand under his knee.

- His leg is IN BETWEEN my legs.

- He has nothing. No underhooks. No nothing. We are still standing when i get the single leg. Hes is hopping on one leg for a split second.

Then what he does is when i have his LEFT leg, when i shoot to HIS RIGHT SIDE, he takes either one of his arms and puts it under my LEFT LEG. And he picks my left leg up and i fall on my side.

Is there a way to counter this??

Also if you have the Mir, Lesnar 2. Mir did it on his first or 2nd takedown when brock shot in but it failed because brock is just huge and overpowered him. But it almost worked.

Thanks guys:icon_twis

ok so we are standing up. I go in a get a single leg and pick it up with

-my left hand on his heel.

- My right hand under his knee.

- His leg is IN BETWEEN my legs.

- He has nothing. No underhooks. No nothing. We are still standing when i get the single leg. Hes is hopping on one leg for a split second.

Then what he does is when i have his LEFT leg, when i shoot to HIS RIGHT SIDE, he takes either one of his arms and puts it under my LEFT LEG. And he picks my left leg up and i fall on my side.

Is there a way to counter this??

Also if you have the Mir, Lesnar 2. Mir did it on his first or 2nd takedown when brock shot in but it failed because brock is just huge and overpowered him. But it almost worked.

Thanks guys:icon_twis

Im sorry dude im not really sure what What you are describing.

But with that said.

If you have single I think the best way to finish is get your head on the inside. Then What I do is

It you have their left leg with your right arm on the outside step back in a circular motion with your left leg, as your doing this release your grip and and slide your left hand down to thier heel.

Lift the ankle into the armpit and you can just look for a trip or stack it on your shoulder and drive through them.

Im sorry dude im not really sure what What you are describing.

But with that said.

If you have single I think the best way to finish is get your head on the inside. Then What I do is

It you have their left leg with your right arm on the outside step back in a circular motion with your left leg, as your doing this release your grip and and slide your left hand down to thier heel.

Lift the ankle into the armpit and you can just look for a trip or stack it on your shoulder and drive through them.
thanks for the advice....

YouTube - CACC Single Leg Counters

WATCH THIS VIDEO AND STOP IT AT 1:00. the guys goes down but what this guy is doing to me is that he grabs and goes under the opposite leg than what is demonstrated in the video. He doesn't have an underhook also.

I know it sounds confusing.

Sounds like me might be doing a sit-threw or role threw...or possible a half assed spladdle. My best advice would be to keep both hands gripped around the knee and not one at the heel and one at the ankle. Best finish would be to "run the pipe." Unless you are transition to another finish. Either way, keep more pressure on him-> head on the inside (forehead just below the chest hight and more on the ribs), circle and move your trail leg up and in for more power and balance....hope this helps, still having a hard time understanding, even after watching mir lesnar 2.

It's called sewing in the toe. Great point. treat it like a heel hook almost. try and catch it in with your "elbow pit."

Well, I understand your question, unlike everyone else it seems. Unless I'm wrong, oh well.

You are describing a switch. If you keep your head against his pelvis, you can continue to drive him to the ground, but honestly he has a leverage advantage in this spot.

You can change to a high crotch using the same grip, elevate him into a double leg. You can hook his leg with one of yours, he will still have the switch. Hope that helps.

Sounds like me might be doing a sit-threw or role threw...or possible a half assed spladdle. My best advice would be to keep both hands gripped around the knee and not one at the heel and one at the ankle. Best finish would be to "run the pipe." Unless you are transition to another finish. Either way, keep more pressure on him-> head on the inside (forehead just below the chest hight and more on the ribs), circle and move your trail leg up and in for more power and balance....hope this helps, still having a hard time understanding, even after watching mir lesnar 2.

lol ok. ill get the actual time in the round. if youd like to watch it again.

Watch at 4:30 in the 1st round on. Lesnar goes for a takedown and mir goes for the roll threw thingy that i get caught with. Is their a way to defend this?

ok so i slide in for a single on my right side, and the opponents left side. I pull the leg up but then he puts his LEFT or RIGHT arm under my left leg and his slides me by. If he doesn't slide me by he still has the leg and it feels uncomfortable?

Could you guys help me with countering this move? its tough when he slides you right by.

Is your head on the outside or inside? IDK but it seems to me that you're doing a high crotch from the description and he's spladle-ing you.
Spladles are great to counter Single legs. That's how my friend won both matches in under 17 seconds at a meet one time.

Is your head on the outside or inside? IDK but it seems to me that you're doing a high crotch from the description and he's spladle-ing you.
Spladles are great to counter Single legs. That's how my friend won both matches in under 17 seconds at a meet one time.

my head is pushing on his upper thigh while trying to pull HIS right side leg to my right and hike the football with my left hand, and dragging him down. Its like putting his weight all down on him.

but then he catches me while sliding by and going under my leg.

I watched the vid and I know what your getting at.

Got with my finish, you are sitting with the leg inbetween you legs to long.

Basically you finish quicker, stack the single like I said or run the pipe.

Or finish from your knees.

Check out this playlist it has a bunch of great ways to finish a single from the mat and avoid that situation.

YouTube - Granby School of Wrestling Technique Series #1

I'm not a wrestler but I will give you my advice anyway, or at least that which I understand about single legs -

First off all these counters to single legs - uchi mata, blocking behind with a hand, etc., there's no "specific" thing you need to do against them. You just have to keep good head position, and stay on the attack.

To counter his defense (or to get head position) there's like 3 things you can do, either you spin to your right ( run the pipe), you spin behind him, or you run through him.

You have to tie all these finishes together - you get to your feet, he's sprawling on you hard, you try to circle behind him to get the pressure off so you can get the leg up high, he keeps sprawling and he's squaring up with you - the far leg is going to the inside -> here it will be much easier to try and go for the flare double, since his leg is going to you, but say he defends it again and moves the far leg far back so you can't pull it probably -> you have perfect position for running the pipe, because his other leg is so far away.

It matters if he's just sprawling on you, or if he's pushing away from you too if you are strong enough to finish with stuff like the flare double... etc, but my point is you just have to stay aggressive with good position.

Things like uchi mata as a counter to single leg happen when you have poor position, your head is down, he's wizzering you hard, breaking your grip on the leg, his leg is on the outside... if you can't get good position, then there's nothing you can do besides expecting him to do it and then reacting by just dropping your hips low.

Skey91

What are some good finishes against stronger guys, once they get the leg on the outside and are sprawling on you pretty hard, but you manage to stand up? What I usually see is people justing taking the leg high into the armpit, but when his leg is on the outside and he has good position, it's really hard to get it up, and even if I get it there, it's not that easy to finish. So usually I try to make an angle, and step over the leg - but I'm not sure about one thing there - should I hook the leg (then he definitely won't be able to get it back to the outside), or should I just pinch it with my knees - I feel a bit uncomfortable with it pinched, I feel sort of weak without the possibility to really control him.

I often try to do a navy finish (hooking from the outside though), because it works good against guys my size, but if I try it against a big guy, I'm afraid that he'll sprawl, drop on his knees, and I won't be able to keep standing, because I just tried to run through him with. Do you also think it's not a very good finish against big guys?

I'm not a wrestler but I will give you my advice anyway, or at least that which I understand about single legs -

First off all these counters to single legs - uchi mata, blocking behind with a hand, etc., there's no "specific" thing you need to do against them. You just have to keep good head position, and stay on the attack.

To counter his defense (or to get head position) there's like 3 things you can do, either you spin to your right ( run the pipe), you spin behind him, or you run through him.

You have to tie all these finishes together - you get to your feet, he's sprawling on you hard, you try to circle behind him to get the pressure off so you can get the leg up high, he keeps sprawling and he's squaring up with you - the far leg is going to the inside -> here it will be much easier to try and go for the flare double, since his leg is going to you, but say he defends it again and moves the far leg far back so you can't pull it probably -> you have perfect position for running the pipe, because his other leg is so far away.

It matters if he's just sprawling on you, or if he's pushing away from you too if you are strong enough to finish with stuff like the flare double... etc, but my point is you just have to stay aggressive with good position.

Things like uchi mata as a counter to single leg happen when you have poor position, your head is down, he's wizzering you hard, breaking your grip on the leg, his leg is on the outside... if you can't get good position, then there's nothing you can do besides expecting him to do it and then reacting by just dropping your hips low.

Skey91

What are some good finishes against stronger guys, once they get the leg on the outside and are sprawling on you pretty hard, but you manage to stand up? What I usually see is people justing taking the leg high into the armpit, but when his leg is on the outside and he has good position, it's really hard to get it up, and even if I get it there, it's not that easy to finish. So usually I try to make an angle, and step over the leg - but I'm not sure about one thing there - should I hook the leg (then he definitely won't be able to get it back to the outside), or should I just pinch it with my knees - I feel a bit uncomfortable with it pinched, I feel sort of weak without the possibility to really control him.

I often try to do a navy finish (hooking from the outside though), because it works good against guys my size, but if I try it against a big guy, I'm afraid that he'll sprawl, drop on his knees, and I won't be able to keep standing, because I just tried to run through him with. Do you also think it's not a very good finish against big guys?

You don't have to finish the single standing and sometimes it isn't you best option.

If a guy gets his leg on the outside you can just drop down to the mat.

From there you can tripod up and circle back behind him stepping over the his leg. But you have to hit this finish quick, don't give him time to pull on the whixxer and work for a 1/4 nelson.

The main problem people have with finishing takedowns is hesitation. Here is an example of what Im saying.

I suck at wrestling, but I'm tempted to just say "keep your head on the inside". He needs to get past your head to hit the switch.

So you would say that intentionally staying on your knees ( even though you could stand up) can work well against big guys.

What do you do if the guy actually doesn't drop to his knees even though you are on yours? Work for the ankle as if it was a low single and standup finish with a trip?

So you would say that intentionally staying on your knees ( even though you could stand up) can work well against big guys.

What do you do if the guy actually doesn't drop to his knees even though you are on yours? Work for the ankle as if it was a low single and standup finish with a trip?

Im a HW and Like the finish. I prefer on my feet but you have to take what he gives you.

Navy ride?? For the win. All in one fluid motion done quickly to prevent a sprawl and you're money.

left leg hooked with your left leg,

left arm around the waist,

sagging low and making him support your weight,

head on the inside,

right arm shoots through behind the far knee,

pull down from the waist, use your head to push and BAM! right on their back.

works like a charm against the big guys. do eet.

I used it in a fight once against a guy who had a good 6" and 80+ lbs on me, and countless big boys in practice.

edit: fighting on the street is for animals and little kids, I don't condone it, etc, etc.

for TS, from what your situation sounds like, that's a great time to try the navy ride. the arm around waist can pull him off base and not allow him to get his hips out, while you can elevate the leg with the arm shooting through to rock him onto his back....

Back