Wrestling Approves Significant Reforms to Sport Presentation...(singlet is out)

Possibly, but from my russian friends and american ones, it's similar to if not more intense than up north here.

Shorts in wrestling ala sambo style wouldn't be a great idea, so many situations in freestyle to grab and cheat which is why they haven't used those.

As for the for profit wrestling idea, it likely wouldn't make money for the reasons of it being harder than bjj and judo. You can practice judo/bjj between 50-75% intensity levels and be happy and never go above that, wrestling practice is at minimum 85-95% intensities.
Nobody wants to show up to a 2 hour practice at that level to the extent where it would be profitable. The only people who want to do that, end up at the university level. If i tried to run a wrestling program at my mma club, the only guys showing up are the fighters, the bjj guys wont show. They don't even like takedowns in bjj class, let alone work wrestling drills that involve high capacity scrambling.

I use sambo shorts all the time and I have never seen someone who would try to grab them. They are not that different than a singlet.

Of course, the intensity of competition wrestling is too much for the average people to handle. But thats exactly why wrestling is not viewed as attractive from average viewers- they cant practice it as a hobby, hence they dont understand the rules and they can enjoy only spectacular throws. The rest, they dont understand. And that brings all the problems with sponsoring wrestling- who buys the merchandise? Only competitors, who practice the sport for not more than a decade. The majority practices actually for not more than a few years.
Compare this with judo and BJJ.
I know plenty of people who continue training actively for 30 years. And they need a couple of gis every few years.
BJJers buy a few gis a year...

College wrestling is intense, but really, not every high school is super competitive. Actually I would say most high schools are not that much better than your average recreational BJJ or judo club. This is the same with other sports even football, and basketball.

Not every high school is a Miami Central, or Junipero Serra. High school sports for like 95% of schools and the kids is a recreational endeavour, and most have no hopes of making it past high school.

Yeh sure, you have a coach there trying to push you, and you have to do all the drills, but how is this any different than any private TMA gym? Yeh, you have to go to comp, but so what? I have had street ball matches, or gym class matches more intense than some of the formal comps I have been too, not in wrestling. And no you wont get cut because wrestling is not exactly the glam sport with loads of kids waiting to take your place

Now dont give me this "but wrestling is a different beast altogether" because it is not. Plus, unless you move around alot, you most likely will be facing the same people over and over again since you were like five. The league the local towns are in do not change that often.

Last edited:
Wait, you are saying that the storied and hallowed tradition of wearing skintight synthetic lycra singlets does NOT go back to the Ancient Greeks, and is instead a relatively recent innovation from that awesomely tacky era known as the early 70s?

Who could imagine ...

I think they wrestled naked with balls hanging and all.

Here is the reason why I would like to see it changed:

I train full time now in BJJ/submission grappling. Everyday I show up to practice, along with every other teammate I have ever trained with in bjj/submission grappling, will walk on the mats to train wearing the exact same thing they will step on the mats to compete in.

When I was training full time in wrestling in highschool, college and the Olympic level, Absolutely no one outside of the 16 resident athletes at the Olympic training center wore singlets to practice. No one. The only reason we wore them at the OTC was because it became a rule put in place by the coaches. No one in wrestling trains in a singlet.

Vale tudo shorts and spats should be banned for men like they are in no gi jiu jitsu.

Spats are actually allowed in IBJJF rules as long as they're black and you have shorts over them.

Spats are actually allowed in IBJJF rules as long as they're black and you have shorts over them.

Under the shorts they are perfectly fine.
Some dude drilling north south kimuras with no shorts over his spats in the dog days of summer, less so.

Here is the reason why I would like to see it changed:

I train full time now in BJJ/submission grappling. Everyday I show up to practice, along with every other teammate I have ever trained with in bjj/submission grappling, will walk on the mats to train wearing the exact same thing they will step on the mats to compete in.

When I was training full time in wrestling in highschool, college and the Olympic level, Absolutely no one outside of the 16 resident athletes at the Olympic training center wore singlets to practice. No one. The only reason we wore them at the OTC was because it became a rule put in place by the coaches. No one in wrestling trains in a singlet.

Good point. Another point is the internationals Wrestling styles. Now there are freestyle-greco, pankration (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNxxtQnxKIY), beach and grappling. Pankration and grappling no-gi have the same uniforms. All the wrestling style with a similar uniforms.

Back