Wrestler vs striker, always bet on the wrestler still?

Other than chuck and mirko I think its safe to say that conventional wisdom is to always bet on the wrestler in a matchup.of pure styles. Are there any other strikers you can think.of that you would favor over any wrestler they face.
335.0.0.JPG

tumblr_m8u1o1UQ7q1rrwwgco1_500.gif

tumblr_nqif25OESI1tugoyjo2_400.gif

Wrestlers are often slow, have terrible head movement and telegraph their strikes.

Its been proven time and time again

The superior grappler has the advantage in one-on-one confrontation.

Its more mixed now as the grapplers like to throw heavy hands before the TDs, and the strikers can actually sprawl a bit nowadays.

Other than chuck and mirko I think its safe to say that conventional wisdom is to always bet on the wrestler in a matchup.of pure styles. Are there any other strikers you can think.of that you would favor over any wrestler they face.
Anderson SIlva (on his days).

It highly depends on the stricker and the wrestler.
If it is someone like Conor or SIlva (who has showed the ability to hurt wrestlers coming in), then strikers.
But if it is volume punchers (not KO artists), then bet the house on wrestlers, for the strikers are in for a long night.

Completely case by case.
Fights aren't that black and white.

Chick and Mirko had incredible TDD. Hell, Chuck was an NCAA wrestler iirc.

There's no such thing as a striker or wrestler anymore. Just fighters who prefer one or the other. But many MMA experts do say that wrestling is the best base to start training in MMA.
Idk, Conor/Khabib is striker/wrestler.

If striker got good tdd always bet on striker unless the grape is just Kabib/prime Maia level

Chuck and Mirko had incredible TDD. Hell, Chuck was an NCAA wrestler iirc.

There's no such thing as a striker or wrestler anymore. Just fighters who prefer one or the other. But many MMA experts do say that wrestling is the best base to start training in MMA.
They do but it has always been an ignorant thing to say. Ignorant in the sense of it lacked information and substantiation.

Many people thought that simply because they saw the sheer amount of successful MMA fighters at the top who came from an wrestling base. But what they never took into account was the mass number of wrestlers and elite wrestlers in their primes who flooded into MMA compared to fighters of other disciplines.

With relatively tiny numbers of guys coming in from the striking arts and few in their prime we still had significant numbers of them rising to the top. This despite the view, that unlike with wrestlers, we were not getting the best strikers typically.

So no, there simply is no evidence that wrestling makes the best base since we have never had a comparable base of artists from each art. The artists ability to adapt the base (any base) is far more important than the specific base.

Its been proven time and time again

The superior grappler has the advantage in one-on-one confrontation.

Its more mixed now as the grapplers like to throw heavy hands before the TDs, and the strikers can actually sprawl a bit nowadays.
Objectively false statement.

Yes.

Striker, besides learning wrestling and bjj which is gonna take years, has a lot more to adapt to. Some strikes he worked on previously may be pretty useless in MMA as well.

Wrestler can just learn basic punches to set up takedowns.

With the UFC's romo ruleset and judging of course boring wrestlers are favored

Wrestling MMA has changed. Everyone is too well rounded now for so many guys to just dominate a fight purely with their wrestling. Even the wrestlers that are successful, like Khabib, have incredibly diverse and well rounded games, with world class BJJ/grappling to boot..

do you know how many elite wrestlers from Russia dont enter the ufc because its not worth the risk (money wise)?

i think a wrestler could still dominate/win, but it would be very booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Lots of great points in the thread about how well.rounded both sides of the style spectrum are now.

do you know how many elite wrestlers from Russia dont enter the ufc because its not worth the risk (money wise)?

i think a wrestler could still dominate/win, but it would be very booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.
Well it's true that owing to entertainment value that straight wrestling is discouraged, both financially and with guys like Fitch getting cut. Gaethje could easily wrestle guys up, but instead he goes balls to the wall and uses his wrestling as TDD. That being said, I, not so sure straight wrestling is as potent with fighters now being better on the ground and figuring out TDD (see Bobby Knuckles). Even if you take a guy down, you have to understand sub defense and have to inflict damage, or else you end up losing like Hendricks vs Magny or Liam vs Newton.

The goat wrestler looked terrible while doing MMA too.

Important to remember that Khabib has been doing striking, sambo, sub work and judo for decades now, which is largely why he is so darn effective, while straight wrestling machines, like Olympic medalist Lindland, had less success. It's still a great base tho.

Chuck and Mirko wouldn't last in today's MMA.

Jiu-jitsu is still the best base for MMA, followed by wrestling, followed by Muay Thai, followed by boxing. We are in the midst of a boxing evolution in MMA, which I believe will bring the final major evolution of the sport into the fold over the next decade or two.

However, while grappling is the base and most important, it's no longer the indicator to someone's skill level because it's virtually a requirement to have it in today's MMA. Striking is the indicator, and it's why the best fighters in every division are pretty much the best strikers.

Back