Wow I'm hurting!

RAQ

White Belt
Reaction score
Well it's my third day of BJJ and my entire body is sore, I can barely roll out of bed. Man I'm out of shape, wondering if I should take the day off?

Been having so much fun though, I actually got a RNC on a guy that had been there 10 months my first day, got 5 tapouts my second day and 3 yesterday, of course getting my ass tapped out left and right but I'm really stoked, but don't want my excitement pushing myself too far.

It's mainly muscle soreness, my abs, legs and my shoulder kinda bugging me.

take the next week off but make sure when u come back u keep a tally of your tapouts. i find an excel spreadsheet works best.

Well it's my third day of BJJ and my entire body is sore, I can barely roll out of bed. Man I'm out of shape, wondering if I should take the day off?

Been having so much fun though, I actually got a RNC on a guy that had been there 10 months my first day, got 5 tapouts my second day and 3 yesterday, of course getting my ass tapped out left and right but I'm really stoked, but don't want my excitement pushing myself too far.

It's mainly muscle soreness, my abs, legs and my shoulder kinda bugging me.

I wouldn't let it go to your head that you've tapped people out. A lot of times people with more experience will let newer people work in submissions and allow them to get good positioning so they can get a feel for what they should be doing while working on their defenses. Anyway, persevere and have a good time.

Did you pull guard and armbar? Did you squeeze anyone's head? Do you have great core strength? Just asking.

Don't take a day off unless you have a real injury - you'll only feel worse tomorrow. If you are young and healthy, two weeks in the gym and you will be past most of the pain.

Now go train!

Wow, not everybody can be as good as BMA-Mat or Todd. Let the guy develop some grip strength first...

Then he can armbar his instructor.

I highly recommend lots of water and bananas daily to combat the soreness.

Second for the bananas and water. I've started drinking about 7-8 20 oz bottles of water throughout the workday and a banana in the morning and then right before I leave to go train, and I've found I've felt much better both during and after training. Could be a placebo effect type of thing, but hey, whatever works.

don't focus on taps, thats how you will develop an ego, especially don't mistake people letting you work something, as oh, i tapped him

Vitamins, fish oil and protein will help with that. Plus sleep.

Btw, where are you training that you're tapping guys out all over the place your 2nd day? I'm pretty new myself, and I think I've tapped one person, who was also very inexperienced. The only way I could see myself doing that is if I bullied the two girls in the class.

Just take the day off- you'll be able to do more the more you train. I hardly ever get overly sore nowdays. (though it might depend on your age- I recommend carbs, water and of course protein just before a long night's sleep- has worked for me).

Don't focus on taps. I used to when I started but it's really quite pointless. There is only one place you should test your skill and that's in competition.

Don't take a day off, you will miss out on like 8 tapouts.

I wouldn't let it go to your head that you've tapped people out. A lot of times people with more experience will let newer people work in submissions and allow them to get good positioning so they can get a feel for what they should be doing while working on their defenses. Anyway, persevere and have a good time.

That's true. I let new guys tap me out all the time. What's the point in killing some guy on his first day so he doesn't want to come back?

Thanks for the input guys, I am definitely not letting it get to my head at all, alot of the time I'll get full mount or side control and have no idea what to do at all because well, I'm just new and don't know moves.

All the submissions I've gotten was in the scramble while trying to get out of one of their moves or something and just happen to muscle my way into a tap.

I'm not a young guy, almost 30 now, used to powerlift when I was 18-24 but haven't touched a weight in like 6 years now. Naturally skinny guy (6' 200lb not fat) and retained alot of my strength.

I can muscle myself out of anything in the first minute or 2 but then I'm just totally gassed and that's when they get me.

I've been reading everything I can making notes of what and when I didn't know what to do and trying to find out what I could have done in xyz position etc, it's very cerebral for me like chess and I love it, I also HATE that I don't have the knowledge right now and hate how fast I run out of breath, I get gassed super easy it's absurd

Ok end rant. Thanks everyone, and my head can't get big, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and do as much as I can without pushing myself TOO far.

I also started on a multi vitamin, b50 complex and fish oil. Also made some changes to my diet limiting the fatty shit and throwing in more veggies and fruit.

No protein shakes and other supps yet, I am going to start lifting again next month, I figure I have to let my body adapt this month to the rigors of BJJ before I add even more stress on it.

That's true. I let new guys tap me out all the time. What's the point in killing some guy on his first day so he doesn't want to come back?

Nobody really respects the fact that I'm new, all of them go all out on me, kind of fucked up IMO because I don't know jack.

I've rolled with the guys in the expert class too and all I can do is try to lock them up and try not to get tapped. Those guys go full on 100% on me too. With the expert guys it's almost no fun at all because I can't try anything at all.

Because their intensity and everything is no different with me than when I watch them roll with other guys their level. They are using all of their strength trying to tap me any chance they get and full speed. You can tell when someone is exerting themselves using all their strength. Then as soon as I let up, whether it be a mistake or I'm just gassed they finish me off as hard as they can. I've seen no mercy.

Then I might bring up "This is my 1st 2nd 3rd day etc, man I'm gassed, mind taking it easy on me?" They'll either say something like "Oh really, you'll get over it" or "Really?" or "Get used to it" "You'll get better" and just keep fucking me up.

The only 2 people that have actually taken it easy on me are the assistant and the coach. Even though they were dominating me, I could tell they were taking it easy on me letting me escape from certain things and get into certain positions.

Time for class, abs are stiff and sore so are my legs but I'm going to suck it up.

Nobody really respects the fact that I'm new, all of them go all out on me, kind of fucked up IMO because I don't know jack.

I've rolled with the guys in the expert class too and all I can do is try to lock them up and try not to get tapped. Those guys go full on 100% on me too. With the expert guys it's almost no fun at all because I can't try anything at all.

could this be because you try to muscle out of everything and are a complete spaz?

Back