• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wow a Whole Episode Just to Spin...

dude, stoked they took the dubs off, i felt like shit for that lol.

what do you expect dana to do? say ronda is a nut case and is losing fans and he wishes she could be more professional?

Of course not, but he MOCKED dude, MOCKED people like you. Not talking trash, just telling you what he said. Its right there in the interview. There is a big difference between simply not denying the truth and flat out making fun of people for their perspective of your product. That's exactly what Dana did. He doesn't care about it, its just the way it is. You don't have to be a good guy in MMA to be a superstar, and Ronda still has a buttload of fans.

Semi interesting concept I've ruminated on a few times.

There are two types of "hated" fighters. Fighters like Sonnen are hated but still watched.

Then there are fighters who are what I refer to as disliked. That means they really don't generate great emotion from the fans. Nobody wants to see them.

And the emotion that they do generate is one of dismissal than anything else. Tim Sylvia was a good example of this type of fighter. Some thought he had a bit of arrogance to him. Some thought he was a good guy. But he never really meshed with his fan base. He wasn't ever very popular.

Now, I don't disagree with what you say about heels making less money overall. However, I think in the short term, with a big enough push, Ronda's villain/heel could pay off rather well.

However, she can easily be changed into a hero/face again afterward. Miesha herself is in the process of doing it this season. Hell, she pretty much already has.

Ronda's biggest issue would be entering the disliked territory. I don't think she has with the most important fan base, the casuals.

As long as they see Ronda as hard core and an anti hero, or a sweet girl who just goes crazy when Miesha gets involved; they are going to be interested.

Even if the more wise MMA fan sees through the charade.

I could be wrong, but I've kicked it around some, and it seems to be what is happening here. Dana doesn't give two squirts about the hard core fan. As long as he can get that casual buy; he is happy.

He knows that most core fans will tune in regardless.

Plus, this is just the co-main. The greatest champion in UFC history looking to avenge his first defeat in the organization he became famous in. With the added WMMA super grudge match playing supporting role.

Again, if I am wrong, please feel free to pick me apart. I could be missing some crucial information.

but chael for example is a "cool heel," similar to what tito tried to be only far funnier. similar to stone cold steve austin. it was "cool" to like him. i simply don't think ronda comes off as a "cool heel." in large part because meisha is playing her role perfectly as the cool baby face chick who is trying to stay above all the bs ronda is throwing out. ronda comes off lame. like, i'd want to have a beer with chael, or stone cold. but ronda? not so much.

of course dana wants the drama because it puts asses in seats, but the problem here is, ronda is going to win, she's the face of wmma, so her being an uncool heel, and someone who just comes off as a bad person, thats not good branding. and she's the one he has to promote moving forward because she's the best in the world. i don't see anyone beating her anytime soon.

Of course not, but he MOCKED dude, MOCKED people like you. Not talking trash, just telling you what he said. Its right there in the interview. There is a big difference between simply not denying the truth and flat out making fun of people for their perspective of your product. That's exactly what Dana did. He doesn't care about it, its just the way it is. You don't have to be a good guy in MMA to be a superstar, and Ronda still has a buttload of fans.

he can mock anyone he likes, i could care less, but what else is he supposed to say? he's got his #1 wmma star being hated on big time. and that's the vibe she gave off. it's on her. people are losing their attraction to her as fans because of the show.

what should dana say? "well i guess she's been exposed as a complete psycho..." lol. no, he HAS to attack the people who are attacking his star, that's the point i've been making. he's a promoter, this is a form of damage control. bash and try to discredit the people bashing your star.

flat out though, i was ronda fan, because i think she's the best in the world, i've even said she would likely beat cyborg and i think cyborg is over rated.

flat out though, i was ronda fan, because i think she's the best in the world, i've even said she would likely beat cyborg and i think cyborg is over rated.

Im a huge Honda Housey fan also coming from a Judo background, however, I have doubts about her beating Cyborg, though I would love to see that fight!!!

I'm only quoting this part because I'm ignoring the rest of your post and recognizing only what I want to hear. I reserve that right you know.

but chael for example is a "cool heel," similar to what tito tried to be only far funnier. similar to stone cold steve austin. it was "cool" to like him. i simply don't think ronda comes off as a "cool heel." in large part because meisha is playing her role perfectly as the cool baby face chick who is trying to stay above all the bs ronda is throwing out. ronda comes off lame. like, i'd want to have a beer with chael, or stone cold. but ronda? not so much.

of course dana wants the drama because it puts asses in seats, but the problem here is, ronda is going to win, she's the face of wmma, so her being an uncool heel, and someone who just comes off as a bad person, thats not good branding. and she's the one he has to promote moving forward because she's the best in the world. i don't see anyone beating her anytime soon.
Cool heel is kind of relative. Some people might like the passion they think she is displaying. I'm not saying she doesn't appear to be really unbalanced this season, but others might interpret it differently.

I wouldn't worry too much about branding. Like I said, the UFC or even that fighter themselves, can flip their image easily.

If Ronda beats Miesha she will be called passionate, a rebel, etc. by the UFC. The details of how she really acted will be brushed aside.

Sure, some of her detractors might bring this up. She might have lost some fans, but the MMA fan is a fickle sort. An active, winning fighter can quickly garner support. Ronda isn't extremely active, but I think that will honestly work to her favor in this time.

It will give the fans plenty of time to forgive and/or forget. While giving the UFC plenty of time to build her up as a face. Two fights after Miesha and she will be loved again.

Rampage acted pretty terrible as a coach; how many fans did he lose? Granted, he was an old Pride star, but he was exciting.

I could be wrong, but that is how I see this situation going. Dana throwing fuel on the fire, they will fight, Ronda will win, and Miesha will turn into lady Faber. Caught in a no title shot purgatory.

You might argue that Dana is trying to protect Ronda do to the picture incident. However, I see it as him adding hype.

He was adding to that impassioned tag line they plan to introduce to Ronda. As well as making people think that the pictures were horrible and he had to rip them down to prevent a war.

They are going to tell the casual fans Dana had to rip down these offensive pictures, blah blah.

The pictures weren't that bad; they probably told the fighters to talk about Edmond like he was gone for a long time, or even cut and pasted that from another part they cut out completely.

It looks like another marketing job to me. I mean honestly, do we think Dana actually ripped all those pictures down himself? If he was really worried about it he would have had some intern doing it for him.

Ronda's biggest issue would be entering the disliked territory. I don't think she has with the most important fan base, the casuals. .

I said similar earlier today.
Because FS1 is a new station, hardly any casual UFC fans have watched
If it was on FX, there would be a lot more (esp. women)
But, not everyone watching TUF was a RR fan & a lot of TUF viewers that could have liked her & started supporting her are not & some are hating on her.
I doubt Dana wanted that

Cool heel is kind of relative. Some people might like the passion they think she is displaying. I'm not saying she doesn't appear to be really unbalanced this season, but others might interpret it differently.

I wouldn't worry too much about branding. Like I said, the UFC or even that fighter themselves, can flip their image easily.

If Ronda beats Miesha she will be called passionate, a rebel, etc. by the UFC. The details of how she really acted will be brushed aside.

Sure, some of her detractors might bring this up. She might have lost some fans, but the MMA fan is a fickle sort. An active, winning fighter can quickly garner support. Ronda isn't extremely active, but I think that will honestly work to her favor in this time.

It will give the fans plenty of time to forgive and/or forget. While giving the UFC plenty of time to build her up as a face. Two fights after Miesha and she will be loved again.

Rampage acted pretty terrible as a coach; how many fans did he lose? Granted, he was an old Pride star, but he was exciting.

I could be wrong, but that is how I see this situation going. Dana throwing fuel on the fire, they will fight, Ronda will win, and Miesha will turn into lady Faber. Caught in a no title shot purgatory.

You might argue that Dana is trying to protect Ronda do to the picture incident. However, I see it as him adding hype.

He was adding to that impassioned tag line they plan to introduce to Ronda. As well as making people think that the pictures were horrible and he had to rip them down to prevent a war.

They are going to tell the casual fans Dana had to rip down these offensive pictures, blah blah.

The pictures weren't that bad; they probably told the fighters to talk about Edmond like he was gone for a long time, or even cut and pasted that from another part they cut out completely.

It looks like another marketing job to me. I mean honestly, do we think Dana actually ripped all those pictures down himself? If he was really worried about it he would have had some intern doing it for him.

she still going to the poster girl for wmma, but there was damage done, i'll never be a fan again.

she still going to the poster girl for wmma, but there was damage done, i'll never be a fan again.
Agreed and understandable. I'm on your side with that one. I do think Miesha is two faced, but Ronda has acted crazy.

Dana doesn't care about guys like us though.

I said similar earlier today.
Because FS1 is a new station, hardly any casual UFC fans have watched
If it was on FX, there would be a lot more (esp. women)
But, not everyone watching TUF was a RR fan & a lot of TUF viewers that could have liked her & started supporting her are not & some are hating on her.
I doubt Dana wanted that

exactly my point.

Agreed and understandable. I'm on your side with that one. I do think Miesha is two faced, but Ronda has acted crazy.

Dana doesn't care about guys like us though.

i haven't seen anything from meisha to lead me to believe she's two faced, but she's definately playing ronda like a fiddle lol.

and dana cares about what the fans think, he has to, but there isn't much he can do here. this is who ronda is.

Ronda is making me think twice about her. I was a fan for sure. I also like Miesha. After just a few episodes of watching Ronda act like a total jackass, I am now all in hoping Miesha beats her soundly in their rematch. I doubt that's gonna happen though.

I mean even from the first fight pick. She picks Miesha's friend to fight the odds-on favorite to win it all. Nothing wrong with that. But after it blew up in her face, she just has gone into total child mode. Her little "mini me" makes me want to puke too.

Ronda is making me think twice about her. I was a fan for sure. I also like Miesha. After just a few episodes of watching Ronda act like a total jackass, I am now all in hoping Miesha beats her soundly in their rematch. I doubt that's gonna happen though.

I mean even from the first fight pick. She picks Miesha's friend to fight the odds-on favorite to win it all. Nothing wrong with that. But after it blew up in her face, she just has gone into total child mode. Her little "mini me" makes me want to puke too.

Good point
RR was OK until her lesson to Tate backfired

MMA fans have extremely short memories. Rampage smashed into a pregnant woman's car and killed her unborn baby. Fans showed more concern over his career than a human life. And look at the reaction to Jon Jones crashing his car while drunk. Almost nobody talks about that now but a few Jones haters.

How about Miesha's behavior after she lost to Ronda? She lied to everybody about her elbow being dislocated and posted pictures to show it was fine. Miesha couldn't even bring herself to give Ronda credit for her win. Her comments following her loss:

"I, personally, would love the opportunity to have a rematch. I think at a high level, it takes one mistake. Anyone can make a mistake at any moment and someone's able to capitalize on that. I don't feel that Ronda proved anything other than what she's already (proved) -- that she has one thing that she's great at. Really phenomenal at. But everything else, I could beat her. Give me another shot. I think it was competitive. I think for the most part I was probably winning. And I think at a competitive high level, one day one person could beat the one person, and the other day the other person would beat the other person."

This was Ronda's response:

"It just kind of makes her sound dumb. Everyone knows that I wanted to armbar her, and there was nothing she could do to stop me, even with months of preparation. I think that proves a lot. It's like she's not even looking at the actual situation. I don't know what match she was watching, to really think that. One of those pieces of advice that my mom tells me all the time is, 'Never listen to your own press.' The second I got out of that cage, my coach was already telling me a million things I did wrong. It just seems tome like she must be surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" all the time, saying stuff like, 'Oh yeah, you were winning. You were totally dominating.' If I was her, I would look at that match, look at what I did wrong, and try to fix it next time, and not be like 'I was totally winning before I lost.'"

Now how many people remember this? Almost none. Tate is now used by many as an example of good sportsmanship and classy behavior.

i can't stand the mini me, she's even worse than ronda. she doesn't even have beef wih meisha so why is she flipping her off?

i haven't seen anything from meisha to lead me to believe she's two faced, but she's definately playing ronda like a fiddle lol.

and dana cares about what the fans think, he has to, but there isn't much he can do here. this is who ronda is.
Eh, I think Miesha is playing the whole audience like a fiddle. A lot of fans now think she is this great coach, when everything I've encountered suggests she did very little on the show.

MMA fans have extremely short memories. Rampage smashed into a pregnant woman's car and killed her unborn baby. Fans showed more concern over his career than a human life. And look at the reaction to Jon Jones crashing his car while drunk. Almost nobody talks about that now but a few Jones haters.

How about Miesha's behavior after she lost to Ronda? She lied to everybody about her elbow being dislocated and posted pictures to show it was fine. Miesha couldn't even bring herself to give Ronda credit for her win. Her comments following her loss:

"I, personally, would love the opportunity to have a rematch. I think at a high level, it takes one mistake. Anyone can make a mistake at any moment and someone's able to capitalize on that. I don't feel that Ronda proved anything other than what she's already (proved) -- that she has one thing that she's great at. Really phenomenal at. But everything else, I could beat her. Give me another shot. I think it was competitive. I think for the most part I was probably winning. And I think at a competitive high level, one day one person could beat the one person, and the other day the other person would beat the other person."

This was Ronda's response:

"It just kind of makes her sound dumb. Everyone knows that I wanted to armbar her, and there was nothing she could do to stop me, even with months of preparation. I think that proves a lot. It's like she's not even looking at the actual situation. I don't know what match she was watching, to really think that. One of those pieces of advice that my mom tells me all the time is, 'Never listen to your own press.' The second I got out of that cage, my coach was already telling me a million things I did wrong. It just seems tome like she must be surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" all the time, saying stuff like, 'Oh yeah, you were winning. You were totally dominating.' If I was her, I would look at that match, look at what I did wrong, and try to fix it next time, and not be like 'I was totally winning before I lost.'"

Now how many people remember this? Almost none. Tate is now used by many as an example of good sportsmanship and classy behavior.

i'm sorry, but wtf was wrong with what tate said? that wasn't poor sportsmanship.

"that she has one thing that she's great at. Really phenomenal at."

thats more of a compliment than ronda has ever given to her, and she's right. ronda is world class with that arm bar, her judo is great, but she's not a good wrestler and she's not a good striker. i mean should she have said she's a terrible fighter who could never beat ronda? is that what her trainers should have told her? of course not.

and what meisha said wasn't on tv every week for an entire season. neither was jon jones getting a dui or rampage going on a rampage. but both of those things did hurt their careers, just not as much as being completely unlikable for an entire season on national tv.

Back